Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JUMBO1
    • By JUMBO1 12th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JUMBO1
    POPLA appeal...help !
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    POPLA appeal...help ! 12th Feb 18 at 9:33 PM
    Hi all,

I have read the newbies thread and all the relevant information on there but still need some advice.

In short I received and PCN on 25.12.17 advising I had parked in a Euro Car parks and not paid for a ticket. Although this is correct, the reason behind not paying is due to the ticket machines not working. I parked in the far rear corner of the car park and walked across to the ticket machines, entered my registration and proceeded to payment and the ticket machine did nothing. The second ticket machine did exactly the same and I proceeded to try and pay by card which also didn't work. Although both ticket machines were 'on' as such, neither accepted card or cash. I continued to try and get a ticket from both machines but failed on numerous occasions. To add to this it was a busy Saturday afternoon with plenty of people queuing at both machines and trying to pay by both methods (busy as it was the lead up to Christmas). After many attempts I proceeded back to my car and left the car park. In total I was in the car park for 12 minutes.

I appealed the initial decision as I wasn't willing to pay £100 for their machines not working. They took 17 days to respond with their rejection letter. They listed irrelevant points, such as:-

-The car park is operated by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR).
    -Cameras capture an image of vehicles entering and leaving the car park and calculate their
    length of stay on site.
    -When purchasing a pay and display ticket, you must enter the correct vehicle registration
    number (VRM) and this information is directed to the camera system.
    -I can confirm that no pay and display ticket matching your VRM was purchased at the time of
    the terms and conditions.
    -The signage is clear, a valid pay and display ticket must be purchased for the full duration of
    your stay on the car park.

etc. etc. and proceeded to ask me to pay within 14 days or I can appeal to POPLA. Which I plan on doing however the advice I was after is what are my rights, if I have any? For example is there a grace period with situations like mine or does nothing at all exist as I have 'entered' their land?

I have since gone back to the same car park and taken pictures of their signs and the parking spot I was in and tested how long it would have taken to walk across the car park - all of this may be irrelevant but I wanted to cover my back seeing as I was there for such a short period of time.

On this particular date there were numerous people who parked and didn't bother paying for tickets therefore Im sure Euro Car Parks are totalling up plenty of payments from other people too.

Is anyone familiar with a scenario like this?
    Last edited by JUMBO1; 12-02-2018 at 9:41 PM.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    Hi all,

I have read the newbies thread and all the relevant information on there but still need some advice.
    Originally posted by JUMBO1
    Hello Jumbo, welcome to the forums.

I fear you may have missed a bit of the NEWBIES thread.
    Post#3 is devoted to the compilation of a POPLA appeal.
    • JUMBO1
    • By JUMBO1 12th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JUMBO1
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    Thanks Keith - just had another look over it but I can't see any examples of situations like mine?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    Look elsewhere then.

I just stuck Euro popla grace periods into the forum search facility, selected Show Posts and 85 posts were returned.

The first one on the list was this:
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73757223#post73757223

Read a few and pick out sections to include in your appeal.
    • JUMBO1
    • By JUMBO1 12th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JUMBO1
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    Keith that is so helpful, thank you
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    Also Redx posted this a few minutes ago:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73757223#post73757223

It will help you too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter