Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stratocaster1991
    • By stratocaster1991 12th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    stratocaster1991
    No Claims confusion!!
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    No Claims confusion!! 12th Feb 18 at 8:18 PM
    Hi, last year I took out a policy with Directline under the assumption that NCD would apply to both my cars. This was after a phone call to Directline in which I was specifically told that my discount would apply to both cars. The customer service rep also knew that I had only just acquired the new car, and did not ask any questions about any other hypothetical NCD from any other cars.

When my policy document arrived asking for proof of no claims, I called them and explained the situation to a customer services rep, then their manager. They said that as calls were recorded they'd check whether I had previously been given bad advice, and then get back to me, which never happened. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that since I've given them the correct details, I shouldn't have to worry about any liability: they have a record of my conversations with them, and so if there were ever an issue, I could refer to these details.

However, its time to renew and I'm in a bit of a quandary: The renewal document lists 8 years NCD on my policy. If I moved to another insurer, would this be legitimate? I wouldn't want to be perpetuating an invalid claim over years and years, and I'm conscious that there isn't a "paper trail" for these 8 years if anyone were to look into it? Does the renewal document stating 8 years NCD beat any historical proof? I now know that NCD is just marketing, so can I take the fact that it has been applied to my account as all the proof I need?

I've called Directline, and they've confirmed I have 8 years on both cars, but I haven't explained the full situation as from experience I feel that this would just complicate things further.

So my options are:

a) take the renewal quote. It's fairly competitive based on a quick comparison. They shouldn't ask for proof of no claims on a renewal right? Could this potentially invalidate my policy?

b) take my magic NCD to a cheaper insurer and use the renewal document I have as proof. Are they actually checking I've racked this up somewhere, or just that I currently have it on a policy?

c) bite the bullet and take out a new policy with no NCD. More expensive, but more peace of mind.
Page 1
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 12th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    As you have checked with DirectLine and they have confirmed that you have 8 years NCD on both cars I'm not sure what the problem is. As far as your insurer is concerned you have the NCD and you have proof of it on your renewal notice.

Buy whichever policy you feel best meets your needs at the best price. Directline will not ask for NCD proof becuase they are your current insurer. A different insurer will ask for proof, which you have.
    • stratocaster1991
    • By stratocaster1991 12th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stratocaster1991
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't setting myself up for a nasty shock if I had to claim in future years!
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 14th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    Hi , the "paper trail" as such doesn't matter much in your case as long as you can show two seperate paper proofs of NCD, from two seperate policies .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter