Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kirkofski
    • By kirkofski 12th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 19Thanks
    kirkofski
    0 WOW
    BA Conencting flight cancellation
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    0 WOW
    BA Conencting flight cancellation 12th Feb 18 at 7:08 PM
    We have booked to fly from Manchester-Heathrow-Vancouver and back again all as one booking(1 week in Vancouver).

BA emailed today to tell me the return flight from Heathrow to Manchester has been cancelled and there are no alternatives on that day. This renders the 1st flight useless if we cant get back to Manchester as our car will be there, we were thinking we might as well drive to Heathrow and park there instead and just get the two flights.

I just called BA and had great difficulty understanding the operator based in India. I wanted to know what refund I would get for the flight they cancelled and also if we cancelled the now useless 1st flight how much we would get back for that too.

I think what she was trying to tell me was that I have to wait 72hours for them to see a price for the refund. she couldn't give me one there and then.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Just wondering how this may play out.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    It is sometimes cheaper to start in Manchester than it is to start in London! So they may say no refund is due.

If you do decide to drive to LHR, you must get the booking changed with BA. If you simply don't show for the first leg, they will cancel the ticket!
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    Have you asked BA to arrange alternative transport to Manchester for you that day? Failing that, they could provide an airport hotel at Heathrow and put you on the first flight the following morning.
    • kirkofski
    • By kirkofski 12th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    kirkofski
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    It is sometimes cheaper to start in Manchester than it is to start in London! So they may say no refund is due.

If you do decide to drive to LHR, you must get the booking changed with BA. If you simply don't show for the first leg, they will cancel the ticket!
    Originally posted by Nick_C

My Mrs seems to remember it being cheaper to start from Manchester than London so like you say, no refund may be due.

That's great advice thanks, didn't know they may cancel the ticket if we miss the first leg.

Using the 3 remaining flights isn't out of the question, its just awkward as it means having someone dropping us out to Manchester and then collecting us from London.
    • kirkofski
    • By kirkofski 12th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    kirkofski
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    Have you asked BA to arrange alternative transport to Manchester for you that day? Failing that, they could provide an airport hotel at Heathrow and put you on the first flight the following morning.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002

To be honest I was having great difficulty trying to communicate with the advisor as it was, when I ring next I will hopefully get through to someone who I can understand a bit better and ask.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 12th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    Do not cancel any part of your itinerary yourself and if you are thinking of skipping the first flight this could cause further issues down the line for you. I would echo the suggestions by Nick and Voyager.

Sometimes calling again and getting another rep may get you a better response.

Good luck.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    I second that. I'm assuming your return flight LHR to MAN is in more than two weeks time. If so, there is no right to compensation, but BA must make arrangements to get you back to Manchester.

I suggest forget about changing your outbound arrangements. Insist on BA getting you home. Either a night in a hotel and fly the next day or a taxi.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 13th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    Go on Twitter, obviously keep most details out but say your flights been cancelled etc and they will sort it. Twitter and stuffs the way forward
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *60lbs lost* *31lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 32 weeks in -52lbs
    -> target 11 st 13lbs by mid June -> 15 weeks & 18lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Feb 18, 1:04 AM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:04 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:04 AM
    To be honest I was having great difficulty trying to communicate with the advisor as it was, when I ring next I will hopefully get through to someone who I can understand a bit better and ask.
    Originally posted by kirkofski
    They have a call centre in Newcastle as well as in India: if you call at the right time you should speak to someone in Newcastle who will of course be able to communicate, and I think will have more authority to get things done than the people in India.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 13th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    Westin
    ^ exactly as above.

Voyager2002 is right. I am sure BA will offer a solution but you need to speak to someone in the Newcastle office. It is all down to calling at the right time.
    Last edited by Westin; 13-02-2018 at 7:54 AM. Reason: MSE still not correcting coding issue for iPad users
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 13th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    jpsartre

BA emailed today to tell me the return flight from Heathrow to Manchester has been cancelled and there are no alternatives on that day.
    Originally posted by kirkofski
    When are you flying? Looks to me like the YVR flight doesn't arrive later than 2:30pm and it seems odd that there would be no same-day connections possible to MAN after that. What about flying back a day later/earlier? Before you call, do your research on which alternatives are available and suggest one of them to the agent.
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 13th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    I feel your pain - I am going to the USA with BA next month on a multi trip ticket - LHR to PHI, PHI to ORD 2 days later, then back to the UK a week later.

AA have pushed back the Philadelphia to Chicago flight by two hours which creates a huge problem and BA will not let me transfer onto any of the other 6+ flights before that.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Feb 18, 9:37 AM
    • 7,738 Posts
    • 9,700 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I would hazard a guess you'll be flown home in good time.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 13th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 1,928 Thanks
    jpsartre
    AA have pushed back the Philadelphia to Chicago flight by two hours which creates a huge problem and BA will not let me transfer onto any of the other 6+ flights before that.
    Originally posted by FlameCloud
    If the change is 2 hours you can ask for a refund of that leg and rebook yourself. Normally BA are happy to rebook if a schedule change doesn't suit you but it may be that none of the earlier flights are codeshared. If not, perhaps try calling another agent.
    • kirkofski
    • By kirkofski 13th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    kirkofski
    Sorry for the delay.

As suggested we went on Twitter and someone called us from the Newcastle call centre and were much more helpful.

The flight we had cancelled is on the 7th April and was at around 6pm. The next available flight was 24hrs later which would be a pain in the !!!, the other option was a flight to Newcastle but we live in Derby.

We were told that because of the advanced warning they are not liable for any Accommodation/Parking which we may want as an alternative.

Currently we are waiting to hear how the cost will lay if we dropped the two domestic flights and just drove and parked in Heathrow. They suggested it wouldn't be that different.

I will update when we know more and decide how we are going to proceed.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 13th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    stevie11
    There are normally a few flights a day to Man but this is weekend and looking on google flights there is an earlier flight at 0755 which isn't very good time wise as you would have to be there a couple of hours earlier. In that case you woud have to get a hotel.

You could ask on the BA forum on flyertalk if anyone can check the loading for BA1370 on Expert Flyer. They may be able to confirm if there are any other flights available that day. You will then have information to go back to BA along with your other options.
    Good luck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,423Users online

Martin's Twitter