Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Purple Hello Kitty
    • By Purple Hello Kitty 12th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Purple Hello Kitty
    Front Coil spring
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    Front Coil spring 12th Feb 18 at 6:06 PM
    Hi I took my car (ford fiesta mf62) to a garage today and they advised the front coil had snapped they said they would charge me £208 to fix this or if I got both done even though the other is fine just now they said that would evenrually snap as the old one would carry more pressure as its old they would charge me £310 for both. Does this sound right? Do I need both or one done? The price seems so extreme to me but I have no idea! I rang my usual garage and they said they would only charge me £90 to fix the broken coil. The original garage has now said the cheaper garage wont do a wheel alignment and the extras which I have no idea what they were talking about so it wont be a good job!

Can anyone please help me as i have no idea who to use and what I need. Thanks.
Page 1
    • facade
    • By facade 12th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 1,547 Thanks
    facade
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    The cheap garage will likely do it bodger style, by taking the nut off the strut top and letting the suspension fly apart, then use the weight of the car to get it back together.
    This doesn't affect the alignment of anything.

The expensive garage is probably doing it "by the book" removing the strut and using spring compressors. This can affect the steering alignment so it needs checking and cost more.

I'd have the £90 one (ask them the price of a pair, the second one usually snaps soon after the first anyway)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Purple Hello Kitty
    • By Purple Hello Kitty 12th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Purple Hello Kitty
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    Is the first way you mentioned safe? I do long distance driving and dont want to put myself or others in danger to save a few quid. Would you reccomend getting both coils done at the same time or wait till the other one snaps? Im only asking as im getting rid of the car in October.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 12th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    loskie
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    Way too expensive, changing two would be the best long term option. 2 hours labour at £70 hr plus 2 springs @ £50 each so £240 for both and that is being reasonably generous.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 12th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    Just my perspective: when the front coil spring broke on my Octavia, I just had the one replaced. I couldn't detect any difference in the handling of the car, nor did the other side break, and was still going strong 30k miles later when I sold the car. My garage told me that the near side springs and wheel bearings take more of a beating from potholes, drains and kerbs, and recommended just changing the one failed spring.

The first garage is clearly overcharging as the discount offered for having the second one done is too great. The genuine FORD spring is available on eBay for £44. Even with two hours labour at £70. This is still only £184 for one spring.
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 1,547 Thanks
    facade
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    Is the first way you mentioned safe? I do long distance driving and dont want to put myself or others in danger to save a few quid. Would you reccomend getting both coils done at the same time or wait till the other one snaps? Im only asking as im getting rid of the car in October.
    Originally posted by Purple Hello Kitty
    If you know what you are doing, yes. Maybe less safe on the drive at home with a scissorjack.

If you are getting rid, just fix the broken one and hope the other lasts 'till then.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    The cheap garage will likely do it bodger style, by taking the nut off the strut top and letting the suspension fly apart, then use the weight of the car to get it back together.

The expensive garage is probably doing it "by the book" removing the strut and using spring compressors. This can affect the steering alignment so it needs checking and cost more.

I'd have the £90 one (ask them the price of a pair, the second one usually snaps soon after the first anyway)
    Originally posted by facade
    What a load of carp.

Spring compressors are very inexpensive and very quick. Pretty much every garage will have a hydraulic floor standing one.

Ive worked in some real deadbeat garages over the years and never seen a garage use the first method you mention.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:54 AM
    Op. Spring replacement is not a hard job. If the car handles differently then take it to be tracked after at £30.
    Both garages will remove in exactly same way. First garage will probably put a new top mount on - ask second garage to do this and itll probably add 30 quid to the job.

Long gone are the days people replaced springs in pairs. Although theoretically its correct that you should, the reality is most people dont do it anymore. Theres literally no labour saving in it. It doesnt take less time each corner to do two than it does to do just one corner
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 5,431 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    I rang my usual garage and they said they would only charge me £90 to fix the broken coil.
    Presumably they're your usual garage because of previous good service. Stick with them.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    tonyh66
    tell the first garage they can do one spring for £155 if they can do 2 for £310.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 13th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    My neighbour asked me if I would change the snapped spring on their Fiesta. I said I didn't fancy it so they got a mobile mechanic out to do the job and he charged them £92 in total. I thought that was a bargain for the conveniance and the short notice given.

The car now drives fine without having the wheels realigned.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 13th Feb 18, 3:54 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    My front o/s snapped July last year. I bought the car brand new so knew the history of the car, careful owner and it snapped going over those stupid speed humps private land owners seem to fit everywhere.

I got both front replaced using genuine FMC coil springs at my local garage for £208 total.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 14th Feb 18, 1:23 AM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Had one of the coil springs replaced on my 207 late last year for £80 at a local indie garage.

The other has started making the same sound i.e snapped so I assume the other needs doing now too.
    Last edited by LeeUK; 14-02-2018 at 1:27 AM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Feb 18, 4:36 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Agree with the above that there should be change out of £100 for one. A PAIR of springs is no more than around £40, its no more than an hour per side to change them. Call it £50/hr labour and you're looking at change out of £150 for both to be done.

£208 for one and even £310 for both is just robbing you blind.
    • Noree
    • By Noree 14th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Noree

Originally posted by facade
    You are damn right rude to suggest the cheaper garage will bodge it. There are plenty of garages that charge a modest labour charge and conduct work to even better standards than the likes of dealerships.

The majority of consumers prefer to use local independent garages who charge modest prices and have generations of family who continue to use the same place.

Anyhow, I would suggest both are replaced. You can get one side done and it may be no bother, but is normally subjective to the vehicle. The vehicles age/mileage can be a factor in the decision, or just simply the preference of the person who owns the vehicle.

If you want to check the credibility of a garage, it can help if they are !!!8216;Trust My Garage!!!8217; approved or part of any other code of practice.

Looky here:
    https://www.trustmygarage.co.uk

Cross reference with Google if you like and you can!!!8217;t go wrong with an independent doing things the right way and not charging an arm and a leg, plus additional !!!8216;seevices!!!8217; such as a pointless 4 wheel alignment and health check etc.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 14th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Just had both front done, £230. Potholes and speed bumps GRRRR!

Worth mentioning that some cars with stiffened lowered springs are a bit more expensive, however if you have a std setup don't just get the lower springs as the dampers will probably not be the same.

Mine made the classic "Clunking" noise, but no noticeable effect on handling.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter