Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Help1234
    • By Help1234 12th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 152Posts
    • 38Thanks
    Help1234
    Can I get an overdraft straight after mortgage?
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    Can I get an overdraft straight after mortgage? 12th Feb 18 at 3:45 PM
    My partner and I completed on our first home this month. He is in full-time employment and I am a PhD student but our mortgage lender takes both our earnings into account.

I would like to apply for a student overdraft, will this be a problem straight after getting a mortgage or do I need to wait for a certain period of time?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    Apply and find out. I don't think anyone here will know for sure. Depends on your income and outgoings and how you have been running your bank account. Personally I'd say don't do it. Its easy to use it and just not get round to paying it back.
    If you manage your finances properly you don't need one. Put some cash aside for emergencies and live on less than you bring in and save that interest for yourself. Don't let the stupid bank take your money.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 15,532 Posts
    • 16,478 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:06 PM

I would like to apply for a student overdraft, will this be a problem straight after getting a mortgage or do I need to wait for a certain period of time?
    Originally posted by Help1234
    There's no set time. You'll generally be seen as higher risk, having recently taken on a large credit commitment, but it doesn't mean that you can't take on additional credit.

However, consider why you want the overdraft and whether it's the best option for your needs. Regular overdraft usage can be a very negative indicator.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    • 4,948 Posts
    • 6,599 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    I thought student overdrafts where pretty easy to get. I mean i got a £2k overdraft with income from a p/t job whilst at uni. Id imagine the limits for post grad would be higher.

Student overdraft are also usually interest free for quite a while. Whilst i appreciate getting stuck and not getting round to pay it, if the alternative is a typical financed product you would be far better going with the interest free option. In fact its an easy way of stoozing, max the overdraft put it in easy access savings and rinse the interest. As soon as the bank call the overdraft back in (used to be about a year after study finished) pay it off with savings.

My information is quite a few years old and in relation to under grad.
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter