Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tonythetank
    • By tonythetank 12th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tonythetank
    0 WOW
    euros
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    0 WOW
    euros 12th Feb 18 at 1:59 PM
    Hi we need arround 500 euros cash to pay for our accommodation in Tenerife when we arrive, and wondered if it would be better to get the cash in the uk before we arrived or use my Halifax clarity card and get it from an ATM when we arrived in Tenerife.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    You might have a problem getting 500 Euro cash from an ATM using a single card.

I'm not normally a fan of buying currency, but in this case I think I would.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 12,726 Posts
    • 10,781 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    The ATM limits is Spain are fairly low IIRC, so you may need to use a few ATMs. Think the Halifax limit is £500 a day normally so you may be able to use multiple ATMs in a day, but not sure about this.

You'd be better getting another good card or 2, it'a always worth having a backup anyway, eg the Barclaycard Travel card, Metrobank etc.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    I think drawing small amounts from three or four ATMs in quick succession might result in a temporary block on the card.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    A few years ago, we asked our landlord if we could arrive and pay €250 on the first day and €250 the second. She was quite happy with that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,502Posts Today

8,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin