Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CURLYSANDY
    • By CURLYSANDY 12th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CURLYSANDY
    Setting up maintenance co to work on own houses
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    Setting up maintenance co to work on own houses 12th Feb 18 at 1:16 PM
    Hello - I have just retired as a builder/plumber. I have 4 rental properties and find it frustrating that I do work on these properties and yet cannot claim for my labour costs. I am considering setting up a small handyman company to do odd jobs for neighbours, family and friends. Could I then invoice myself when doing work on my own properties. I realise I will have to pay income tax on my income from the business, but could equally off set works vehicle, etc. Furthermore, I want to extend one of the houses and then sell it. Could I also invoice myself for my labour which could be set against Capital Gains tax when selling???
    Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
    Kev
Page 1
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 12th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    purdyoaten2
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    You really have not thought this through.

If you 'invoice' your property business for £2000 your rental profit will clearly reduce by this amount and the tax due will be £400 less on this source of income if you are a basic rate taxpayer.

I presume by 'company' you mean self-employed. You will pay tax on this £2000 of exactly the same amount - £400 AND you may have to pay National Insurance at 9%, another £180. The whole idea could cost you money.
    purdyoaten lost his password
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter