Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 115Posts
    • 49Thanks
    greedbay
    Buyer requested cancellation, paypal took 20p
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    Buyer requested cancellation, paypal took 20p 12th Feb 18 at 10:00 AM
    I recently sold a mp3 player. The buyer decided they bought it in error and requested I cancelled the transaction.

I clicked on cancel order, refund buyer but noticed paypal kept 20p, is this the norm now? I had no money in my paypal account so it has gone negative.

The buyer was the one that made the error and I have to pay for it?

Pretty sure I did a similar refund a few years back but did not have to pay for the buyers mistake.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 59,886 Posts
    • 42,516 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    I recently sold a mp3 player. The buyer decided they bought it in error and requested I cancelled the transaction.

I clicked on cancel order, refund buyer but noticed paypal kept 20p, is this the norm now? I had no money in my paypal account so it has gone negative.

The buyer was the one that made the error and I have to pay for it?

Pretty sure I did a similar refund a few years back but did not have to pay for the buyers mistake.
    Originally posted by greedbay
    Yes that is correct, it changed about 5 years ago or so.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    I'm pretty sure I had a similar incident 2 years ago and paypal did not help themselves to 20p, I'll have to check my paypal account.

Could it be down to the way the cancellation was carried out, i.e. if I requested the cancellation from the buyer instead of cancelled it myself.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 59,886 Posts
    • 42,516 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    I'm pretty sure I had a similar incident 2 years ago and paypal did not help themselves to 20p, I'll have to check my paypal account.

Could it be down to the way the cancellation was carried out, i.e. if I requested the cancellation from the buyer instead of cancelled it myself.
    It doesn't matter how you cancel, paypal retain the 20p. However, if you cancel and use the 'buyer requested' option you get all your FVfs back.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    Yes, the buyers who buy your £1.40 item then spend the rest of the evening trying to find it a penny cheaper, and send you a sorry can I cancel message cost you 20p every time.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    I've just found a transaction from March 2017 on my paypal.

A buyer bought an item from me in error, and requested a cancellation as they thought it was something different.

Item was £38.00, paypal took £1.49. So my paypal account had £36.51.

After I refunded them my paypal account went back to zero, so I'm confused as to why this time, the same thing has happened but I have lost 20p.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 11,882 Posts
    • 8,068 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    I've just found a transaction from March 2017 on my paypal.

A buyer bought an item from me in error, and requested a cancellation as they thought it was something different.

Item was £38.00, paypal took £1.49. So my paypal account had £36.51.

After I refunded them my paypal account went back to zero, so I'm confused as to why this time, the same thing has happened but I have lost 20p.
    Paypal have kept the transaction fee (20p or 10p depending on which account you have). The fee retention came in in September 2011.

If you go to the classic view and look at the transaction it is easier to see that Paypal keep the transaction fee.
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 11:05 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:05 AM
    In my example for March 2017 Paypal definitely did not retain 20p.

The first thing I do when I get paid in paypal is withdraw all my money so my balance is pretty much always zero.

I think in my past case paypal possibly messed up and didn't charge me the 20p. I still think it is unfair for them to charge me 20p for buyer error.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 11,882 Posts
    • 8,068 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    In my example for March 2017 Paypal definitely did not retain 20p.

The first thing I do when I get paid in paypal is withdraw all my money so my balance is pretty much always zero.

I think in my past case paypal possibly messed up and didn't charge me the 20p. I still think it is unfair for them to charge me 20p for buyer error.
    As I said earlier, it changed some years ago.

I don't think it's unfair. The transaction fee is exactly that, a fee to cover the transaction administration.

Paypal won't forget to charge you 20p it is automatic. Could it have been a gift payment?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

5,349Users online

Martin's Twitter