Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Feb 18, 6:07 AM
    • 6,702Posts
    • 39,043Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:07 AM
    What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02 12th Feb 18 at 6:07 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 3
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 19,223 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Frugal Friends,

1LL - Yes, I did have a hospital appointment this morning, thanks for asking. It did not go remotely how I was expecting, & I can't decide whether I'm happy or more stressed about the outcome. It's put me in a weird mood to be honest, a mood which in a former life would have led to buying myself lots of unnecessary stuff. So not that much achieved today:
    *Finished the week's laundry so as to run the heated airer with as much on it as possible.
    *Made chicken & mushroom supreme using the last of Sunday's chicken & some of the stock I made yesterday.
    *Two baths from 1 lot of water.
    *Entered 1 prize draw.
    *Did 2 surveys.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Darned a sock.
    *Cleared out my recipe box. Got rid of stuff I'm never going to cook. Found loads of nice economical recipes I'd completely forgotten about, so I'll be including them in our meal plans over the next few weeks.
    *Free leisure activities - played piano....my 49p music score from charity shop & some gifted music too.
    *Use-it-up.....am getting the last bit out of a very narrow-necked glass foundation bottle using a coffee stirrer.
    Sorry to hear of all the trials & tribulations going on.....hope you are all taking good care of yourselves.
    F x
    PurpleFairy/Ally....it was like a locked room mystery.......without Jonathon Creek. What I did have, was my husband wasting 5 minutes of valuable escape time by asking me about 47 times how I managed to snap a solid metal door handle in two. .....until I yelled at him (fill in the expletives of your choice) to get me out first, & hold the inquisition afterwards!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £342-95
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £20
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 24,880 Thanks
    allydowd
    Evening Frugal Friends,

1LL - Yes, I did have a hospital appointment this morning, thanks for asking. It did not go remotely how I was expecting, & I can't decide whether I'm happy or more stressed about the outcome....

PurpleFairy/Ally....it was like a locked room mystery.......without Jonathon Creek. What I did have, was my husband wasting 5 minutes of valuable escape time by asking me about 47 times how I managed to snap a solid metal door handle in two. .....until I yelled at him (fill in the expletives of your choice) to get me out first, & hold the inquisition afterwards!
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    <Virtual hugs>

I'm such a Creek fan.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 44.59 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 24,880 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi February Fabulistas,

Work later but still time to squeeze in a few things before I go.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Good, homemade, sustaining breakfast.

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Housework done with washable cloths and Stardrops.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 14-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all hope you get where you need to be foxgloves with your news.

Limited plans but still keeping the faith:
    Online shop ordered and coming today, not ideal as had to get it all from one shop but needs must
    Worked out max annual cost of childcare and reduced vouchers by large chunk as I have considerable amount already in account
    Donated some of reduction to charity through charitable scheme at work which means I get tax relief on giving
    Continue to dry washing on radiators and airer
    Read more of my stash of well-being books and resources for work
    No expensive (or any for that matter) valentines gifts or cards this year. DH is making his epic chilli tonight, who says romance is dead
    Called up about my £150 refund (again!) promised it’ll be sent within a week. We’ll see. Make a diary note for next Wednesday to chase if not.
    Need to call pet insurance
    Waiting to hear back on my section 75 claim against carpet people. Must look up when I rang and see if it needs chasing.
    Make granola and beetroot cake and beetroot pate when delivery arrives.

Think that’s about all for now. Have a good day. Purps.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 14th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Foxgloves - I hope you feel more settled today

Hugs to anyone who needs them

I'm feeling very tired today. I need a good long sleep. Although as it's my Friday, I intend to snooze in tomorrow.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores as planned. I had to really force myself this morning.
    • charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunch time (I may regret this) - done. v tired now zzzzz
    • Heating off all day as we're out
    • Work at relaxing as I feel quite anxious today
    • Read/crochet
    • No alcohol
    • Early night
    That'll do pig. That'll do.

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 14-02-2018 at 2:49 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • princess_pea
    • By princess_pea 14th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    princess_pea
    Hi everyone,

I want to get back in the habit of posting on here! I'm working compressed hours at work and have Wednesdays off so going to try and make these NSDs/ do free stuff like going on nice walks/ housework/ moneysaving days.

All meals from stores/NSD.
    Ring council AGAIN. We've bought a shared ownership new build and the bins have never been collected since the 5th January! They can't seem to find our road (but collect just around the corner).
    Still have no home internet as none of the providers recognise our postcode (even Virgin, who have already installed a point in our house when it was being built). I've topped up on mobile internet for now but this is expensive.
    Housework!
    Take pooch for a nice long walk. This will benefit me too as I can no longer walk to and from work. Step counts have been shocking this year so far.
    Might use our unlimited cards for a cinema trip later.
    Husband has dreaded PIP interview on Monday so need to do some prep for this.

Hope everyone is ok! I really want to get back on the savings wagon.
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Shared Ownership Home bought 5/1/2018
    Long-Term Savings Pot £500
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 37,777 Thanks
    DawnW
    Wow Princess Pea, I think a couple of official complaints are called for

Foxgloves, hope you are feeling ok this morning about your conversation at the hospital.

My list for today:
    HG berries from freezer with breakfast this morning
    Checked banks and updated spreadsheet
    Ordered 2 new bathsheets from Home and Barker's sale, remembered they had sent me a voucher code a while back, found it in old email and applied it to see if it would still work - it did, so I got another 15% off
    Housework done downstairs
    Carried boxes of sales stock up to top of house. Not put them in the loft yet as my arthritis is playing up a bit this morning, but at least they are out of the way up there.
    Listed a couple of little things on ebay

Still to do:
    Clean bathroom
    RM surveys stuff
    Paperwork for business
    Make a curry for dinner
    Make a bolognese for another day
    Make some scones
    Babysitting tonight

I think I will stop there!
    NSDs for February 8 / 18
    Decluttering 30 / 28

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 19,223 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Wednesday Pence-Wranglers,
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I am getting my head around yesterday's hospital conversation. I haven't gone into detail, because I don't want to spoil anybody's lunch sharing my gynae issues! What a joy it must be to be a fella & having it all on the outside!! Gearing myself up for a formal meeting tonight, which is going to mean getting out of my gardening gear & getting random twiggy bits out of my hair.
    Today's frugal stuff:
    *Sowed sweet peas.......what a very frugal activity that was: Free seed & saved seed, remnants of last year's compost, old knitting needle for a dibber, sown into recycled coffee cups from all our free Waitrose coffees & the 'pots' then stood in 2 recycled plastic fish boxes from our 8-weekly fresh fish delivery!
    *Ground too frozen to tackle clearing, but pruned & top-dressed greenhouse grapevine & hacked back a buddleja. Cleaned a couple of panes of greenhouse glass, but this will need some help from mr f as need to start at the top (i.e needs tall person!)
    *Watered overwintered greenhouse rocket, lambs' lettuce & cut some parsley to use tonight.
    *Added a plastic mushroom tray to my seed tray stash in the shed.....seed-sowing will soon be getting underway properly.
    *Do next week's meal plans - feel inspired now I've decluttered all my recipes.
    *mr f taking & collecting me from my meeting to avoid car parking charges.
    *Did some Onepoll surveys - several better paying ones this morning - 30ps, 25ps, 20ps instead of the more usual 10ps.
    *Entered a prize draw.
    *Received another £5 voucher (survey income), so updated my signature, as I like to keep a tally of my survey earnings.
    St. Valentine's Day - It did seem odd today not to have bought cards & a little bit of something for each other, but we decided to celebrate it tomorrow for money saving reasons. mr f got a 2 for 1 on concert tickets for tomorrow night. We had already spent up our Entertainment/Leisure Piggy funds renewing annual membership to a lovely local garden attraction, so we decided that as I have a distinctly UN-Valentine's meeting tonight, we would go halves on the concert tickets using our personal spends, instead of buying cards & the usual small gift. So tomorrow, we have John Lewis vouchers for lovely free coffees & cakes in the afternoon, then we intend to buy ourselves a modest chocolatey treat for taking into the concert & we will have a night out within our budgets. mr f (who can be quite a one for thinking about his tummy!) even suggested we eat a substantial lunch at home before we go, then we will only need a YS sandwich later on!!!!!!!!!!)
    Best wishes everyone for a nice day.
    Love F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,355 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

Foxgloves, I hope you are feeling less "weird" this morning.
    PrincessPea, I agree with Dawn, sounds like official complaints needed.

Another busy morning for me today but it's been productive which is good!
    ds1 had ys bread again with his scrambled eggs (and my dad has given me eggs for ds's breakfast tomorrow so that I don't have to buy more before going away - in return I gave him 1/2 a head of broccoli and 4 potatoes)
    Ds2 had free breakfast at school
    Gym done and refilled water bottle twice
    Tenants houses needed gas safety checks this morning, so I had mine checked at the same time and as the plumber was here my dad asked him about a noise my toilet was making (sounds like rattling pipes, really loud) the plumber said what he thought was wrong and my dad was able to fix it using a bit of strong garden wire and a pair of pliers! Would have cost £60+ for the plumber to have come back and sorted it
    Made families lunches for tomorrow using up last bits and pieces out of the fridge
    No valentines gifts/cards going on here, but I've got some beef out of the freezer which is dh's favourite and I'll lay the table nicely, rather then go out. prepped spuds for mash and prepped the veggies for cooking later also.
    Made a chicken curry for the kids to have tonight and me and my dad will finish it off for our brunch after the gym tomorrow
    Put split peas/pearl barley in to soak ready to do an ultimate comfort food meal for us all tomorrow night with minimum preparation/cooking time Will pop it in the SC tomorrow morning with some diced onion, chicken stock, herbs and the end of a gammon joint
    Strip and remake boys beds
    Wash two loads on the quick 30 degree wash

After a I still need to...
    Check banking /update spreadsheets
    Check email as need to send proof of ID for dh & I's new accounts Mines done but will need to wait for dh to come home from work before I can do his.
    Radiator shuffle the washing
    Date cake - must do this its been on my list for 3 days now!
    Clean kitchen using stardrops/microfibre cloths
    Headspace app
    Read some of my library book
    See if ds1s library books are available yet as we'd like to take them with us on our break.

Right that's it, cup is empty!
    Have a good day all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-02-2018 at 6:37 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 5,088 Posts
    • 20,484 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Evening all.

I have been AWOL again, I am still working four days and my boss keeps moving them round as she thinks it might be easier if they're not all in a row, it isn't. This week I am working alternate days and I don't feel like I have enough time on my days off what with getting over working and then getting ready for work the next day. I have left a note in the schedule book saying I want to go down to my contracted days, we are still short staffed but I noticed that she hasn't been doing any overtime herself (she also only works three days.)

I'm also feeling overwhelmed by stuff that needs doing in the house, the most urgent being replacing the light fittings in the kitchen. I'm sure they were cutting edge when they were installed but they are those adjustable ones and hardly any of them work and it's the devil's own job to get the bulbs in and out and so frustrating when you finally get one in to find its one of the ones that doesn't work. I have just bid on two almost new ones on eBay and will have to bite the bullet and pay an electrician to fit them.

My front fence, which has been in disrepair for a while, snapped in half in the recent winds and I've had to break it some more to get out as it wedged the gate at an angle. This was going to be my next job but I'm wondering if being fence less might be the way forward, it would mean I could get to the other side of the front beds easier and plant some pretty stuff.

I'm going to cook some YS chicken pieces for dinner, I got 3 boxes for about 60p each (down from £4) I've cooked one and the flavouring was lovely (chilli and lime) but as they're in a bag the skin was a bit slimy so I'm going to turf them out halfway through this time.

I've been in bed all day with a headache and catching up on sleep so lunch was a couple of instant soups and half a bag of tortilla chips! I've only been out once today and that was to the post box in my pyjamas! Amazon have lost another bundle of stuff so I'm having to fulfil some orders myself.
    Last edited by FatVonD; 14-02-2018 at 6:18 PM.
    Make £20 a day in February £177.00/£560 (January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,355 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    FatVonD, sorry to hear you sounding so low. I really hope that your employers sort out your hours for you soon.

Some how I have managed to ruin the mashed potato!! Its gone a really weird texture, I'm just going to have to make lots of extra gravy and hope that saves it!! whoops
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    • 5,088 Posts
    • 20,484 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Thanks, 1LuckyLady, I won the light fittings I was bidding on which has cheered me up a bit, they weren't the cheapest but I needed two that match and they are nearly new John Lewls for a third of the original price.

I've spent tonight decorating the letters for my sign and other related stuff, the sitting room is the only room that's always tidy so it did me good to spend some time in there ignoring all the other rooms.

I think I've definitely decided to do away with the fence altogether (it's not like I ever shut the gate) and, while in my head I'd like to grow foxgloves there the last lot I put in didn't do well. I do however have some wallflowers (same aspect) that have self seeded like mad and they smell heavenly so wallflowers it is! (Plus the hollyhocks I bought last year.)
    Make £20 a day in February £177.00/£560 (January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Feb 18, 6:51 AM
    • 6,702 Posts
    • 39,043 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning guys opps being a bit tardy for work! Need to get a move on - same pattern as last week now I am really starting to get tired & the house is a bomb! Good news is I have my shift pattern for the next 6 weeks so can start planning my life. I think one of the reasons I'm so tired is it's just all work and no soul nurturing activities to keep my spirits up!

Things for today:

* make sandwich for lunch - with soup
    * oh off with madam today - £35 childminding fees averted!
    * a load of washing in, ask him to hang up
    * get something out of freezer for tea
    * print off form to post old mobile - really going to try to make this happen today

Gosh that's all I can think of! I need some energy!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 19,223 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugalistas,
    Busy day planned. Am supporting a local chatity this morning, then heading for city centre. Treaty spends won't be an issue as we have free cakes & coffee vouchers for John Lewis. I intend to price up an item ready for kitchen redecoration, but I don't intend to buy it today as don't yet have a DIY project budget in place yet. Then concert on our 2 for 1 tickets. Parking will be the big charge but going on the train works out more expensive as would need to pay parking in our local town & 2 train fares, so that doesn't help reduce costs at all.
    Anyway, I just popped on to say I will be keeping the MSE faith.
    F x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all. Hope you’re managing some rest dawn things seem so busy for you lately and your so good at looking after other people.

Foxgloves hope things are ok

My list:
    Call CC company. called twice yesterday and they told me I’d not made the payment on my card so couldn’t dispute it! They also couldn’t put me through to the dept I needed to speak to as they don’t transfer so they have to call and wait for it to be answered and they wouldn’t do it. Ridiculous !
    Made a sour dough starter - first time ever
    Made no cook granola brownies
    Will make some beetroot pate later as didn’t do this yesterday
    Check banking
    Make a plan of what do do about paying off our rental mortgage (obviously over time )
    Some washing on, do some shuffling
    Still eating ald1 kiwi on breakfast, 1 more to go after today
    Chicken out of freezer to make stir fry tonight
    Call and book electrician.

Right, must get on and do some work.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 15th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks,

Big hugs to all those who are struggling with work at the moment. After going to 4 long days + 3 days off in October, I really appreciate how you can feel when life is about more than work. It's interesting how a lot of things that we know deep down aren't good for us are purported as the "norm".

It's also interesting that I find a lot of traditional "work" (cleaning, gardening, cooking, crafting) restorative, even when it's hard work. Now don't get me wrong, I find the academic aspects of my job very interesting and satisfying, perhaps if I had been alive in Victorian times, I would have been married to a scientist and helped him with his work? Or maybe I'd still be married to a musician and working as a char woman on the side?

Actually I'm originally from rural Essex and my family were all farmers and farm labourers. I likely would have been working on the land. Hubs, being from a port city would probably have ended up either in the navy or a docker!

Hmmmm, anyway, these ponderings aren't mse (or are they??? can't spend money while daydreaming!)

Today's mission:
    • Package and send ebay parcel - wrapped in recycled bubblewrap
    • B/L from stores. D at m-i-l's
    • Reconcile budget sheet - done
    • Bit of cooking to take some of the weight of OH as I'm working Saturday - oooops I have severely overboiled the eggs! Saved them by plunging into very cold water straight away, then mashing them up with a LOT of mayo!
    • Charge phone at m-i-l's
    • Search for my niece's voucher that m-i-l has put away for "safekeeping"
    • Washing on line - hope the showers stay off - out in the sun
    • Poss a bit of crochet - done
    • Paint radiator - done
    • Did relaxing app - done
    • Gotta go round to the in-laws and help decorate their house. My dear m-i-l, every 4 years declares that the whole house needs decorating, and that this will def be the last time. The project has grown this time from wardrobes being fitted, to the entire upstairs being re-floored and painted. Then she has produced a house-wide snag list for hubs. Apparently my job for the day is to help change all the curtains and bedding. I know they both have health problems, but sometimes you just need to scale back on what you can do... I had my own plans for the day! Plus OH never has time to do the stuff I need him to do here cos he's doing it at his mum's!
    Not sure how much I'll do today - it's all a bit up in the air!

Have a good one folks

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 15-02-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 15th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 24,880 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi February Fabulistas,

Work soon. Needs must.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Good, homemade, sustaining breakfast.

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Soup and free bread out of freezer for dinner tonight. We will not buy a takeaway even though we both have a long day ahead and there's one three doors down!

* Made a packed lunch for work.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 15-02-2018 at 9:37 AM.

• maria3104
    • By maria3104 15th Feb 18, 11:13 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 9,580 Thanks
    maria3104
    Hi All

Been very busy and am struggling to keep up with everyones posts. I hope everyone is well.

Today I am determined to refocus on lots of things.

Eat from stores
    Stick to £250 per month groceries
    Try not to have any food waste
    Use cheap rate electricity
    Do not buy any more stuff
    Use up wool and material stash

All fine things to think about but remarkably difficult to manage.

Keep smiling everyone, we are hopeful of a dry day.

Maria
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 15th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,355 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Lovely to read about everyones plans.

Todays list from me (not all mse things but we go away for the week tomorrow so I have a lot to do and I do like ticking off a list )

ys bread for toast with the last of the eggs this morning
    ds2 to free school breakfast club
    Gym session done and refilled water bottle there
    Last nights leftover curry for brunch, and there was more left then I expected so will freeze the rest
    Get my packing done, I need to pack two separate lots as we are staying 3 nights in one place which includes meals and then 4 nights elsewhere self-catering with the extended family.
    Scan in more proof of id for both new accounts we are trying to open
    Washing away off the radiators
    Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash when the kids get home from school and get them dried on the radiators overnight. Will be better to come home to an empty washbin when I come back with full suitcases of dirty washing!
    Check banking/update spreadsheet
    Fix stunt pegs onto ds2s new scooter (and pack helmet!!) to take away with us
    Another friend has gone on holiday and late last night asked if I could post something at the post office for her, she put it through my door at 4.15am and left a carrier bag of food on the doorstep for us She left, some pre-made pancakes, 6 really ripe bananas sent home with my dad, 6 apples stewed these, we will have them with the pancakes tonight, half a cucumber chopped ready to have tonight with some hummus as an after school snack , a lettuce, half a loaf of bread frozen and a big bottle of milk perfect as I'd run out!
    Make split peas/gammon thing that dh loves for tonights meal. Nice and easy as it all goes into the slow cooker.

Right I've finished my so I'll crack on and be back to update in a bit!
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 15-02-2018 at 1:04 PM.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 37,777 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Rotten night's sleep again, so I don't have much energy today. Shame, as I ended up getting loads done yesterday
    Anyway, such as it is:
    Been to market in next town to stock up on veg. Having an additional large appetite to feed, I find buying lots of veg, and basing meals round those, with some meat, fish or other protein (mainly offers from either a local butcher or an online one I use occasionally) some days is much more cost effective than 'regular' shopping in a supermarket. I think when the blessed day comes when OH and I have our house to ourselves again, I will continue with this, as I think we are actually eating better / more healthily.

Spent £7 on veg, and have 2 large shopping bags full of potatoes, carrots, cabbage, a cauliflower, peppers, leeks, mushrooms and tomatoes
    Also popped in to Lidls on the way back, got most of the other things I need
    Did a survey for Yougov
    Load of washing pegged out on line, we keep getting showers, but it is windy too, and sunny in between, so hoping it at least partially dries! Almost dry - I am about to put it on the airer to finish off by the stove
    Tidied kitchen, put shopping away, sorted washing up etc.

Still to do:
    Brother has gone to the dole office or whatever it is called these days, so will make the most of this and tidy the lounge as well, while he isn't parked there. Done, though you wouldn't think so to look at it now
    Maybe get out into the garden for a short while, for some fresh air Sowed some rocket and oriental greens in the greenhouse. Watered the geranium and fuchsia plants that may or may not have survived the frosts, also in the greenhouse
    Finish paperwork for business that I started last night Done
    Check banks Done
    Update spreadsheet with today's spends Done
    Bolognese made yesterday for dinner Done, only used half, so that is a meal I won't have to cook
    OH can do the dog walk Done
    Curl up next to the wood stove later, and get an early night! And I am off shortly!
    Last edited by DawnW; 15-02-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    NSDs for February 8 / 18
    Decluttering 30 / 28

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,008Posts Today

7,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin