Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • faddy
    • By faddy 12th Feb 18, 12:41 AM
    • 392Posts
    • 44Thanks
    faddy
    Pay As You Go Breakdown services
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:41 AM
    Pay As You Go Breakdown services 12th Feb 18 at 12:41 AM
    Does anyone have any experience of Pay As You Go breakdown services e.g. National Breakdown PAYG, RTR, Boleyn? I'm wondering whether with an averagely reliable car and low annual mileage these make more long-term financial sense than buying breakdown cover annually.
Page 1
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 12th Feb 18, 8:02 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 8,819 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:02 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:02 AM
    Good question. Will be watching this one....
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 16,448 Posts
    • 14,707 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    I went for PAYG last year. Apart from the delay in paying-and-reclaiming, watch the claim caps - especially on homestart-type claims, and especially if you're in a rural area where there may not be a wide choice of local garages.

For the small difference in premium, I won't bother again.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 12th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    faddy
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    I went for PAYG last year. Apart from the delay in paying-and-reclaiming
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Pay/reclaim and PAYG are two different things. Pay/reclaim was how Autoaid worked until recently (they now operate like any other breakdown service). PAYG simply means having access to a control centre which can call out a local breakdown operator anywhere in the country, but you pay out of your own pocket - no reclaim. National Breakdown and RTR (and I imagine Boleyn but I don't know) say they have negotiated rates with the local operators less than you'd pay if you called them directly.

National Breakdown charge a small annual fee, RTR a one-off registration fee, Boleyn (I think) nothing.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 12th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    When you can get annual cover from a little as £16.45 is there any point of using a PAYG service?
    • faddy
    • By faddy 12th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    faddy
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    When you can get annual cover from a little as £16.45 is there any point of using a PAYG service?
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    I'm guessing that doesn't include homestart or national recovery? Unless you never travel far from home, not having national recovery means that you're carrying the risk of a (relatively expensive) recovery while insuring against the risk of a (relatively cheap) roadside callout, so it's halfway to being PAYG anyway.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 12th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    No that price did not but you did not say you needed them.

Homestart and national recovery from £28.79 so again is there any point of using a PAYG service?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,631Users online

Martin's Twitter