Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frightenedmouse
    • By frightenedmouse 11th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    frightenedmouse
    How to deal with a bailiff- please help
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    How to deal with a bailiff- please help 11th Feb 18 at 10:25 PM
    Hi,

On Friday I had an enforcement agent knock at my door. Apparently I owe an unpaid parking fine to the local council, which has now snowballed into a total debt of £423- including the £235 enforcement fee that the bailiffs have added on.
    This guy wasn't very pleasant (I guess they aren't meant to be!) and despite me explaining that I am disabled, on a very restricted income (I'm single) and unable to work thus not able to pay all at once, said I had until Monday to find the money. I've been doing some research online but I am really panicking about what to do.

I could find some of the money to make a part payment, and I could offer a payment arrangement but when I tried to mention that on Friday he cut me short and said there's no option for that anymore.

I'd had no previous communication that this action was about to commence, although the fine relates to last summer when I was also at this address, and my correct address is on the letter he handed me. I'm not sure if I never received the original fine, if it went to the wrong address like a lot of my post seems to do (have really annoyed the hospital by missing appointments etc), if I somehow missed it in a pile of post when I was particularly ill at some point last year (entirely possible) or what. I have no idea. I doubt anyone would even believe that's the case!

What I mainly want to know is how should I deal with this man? I've been given advice to contact the council which I plan on doing first thing, but would they be able to stop the action? There's no way I can find £400 by tomorrow (possibly £100 at the most) and I am terrified of what to do or say when he inevitably comes back. I was pretty unwell on Friday and very dazed stood there in my dressing gown, I think even if I was prepared for a visit tomorrow I don't know what I'd do? I have a car but it's a motability car and from what I understand they can't take that, since it's not mine?

I'm feeling a bit stupid that I've potentially messed up big time and gotten myself in this mess, but also petrified at what to do about it. I suffer from anxiety and other issues and this has just made me go into a blind panic

Any advice anyone can give me would be much appreciated!
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 11th Feb 18, 10:52 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    venison
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:52 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:52 PM
    Have a read of this:
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/information/bailiff-action/Pages/default.aspx
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 13,208 Posts
    • 12,628 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    Hi,

They cannott force access to your home, and under no circumstances allow them in, keep doors locked.

They always want more than people can give, so ignore that, deal with them in writing only, make an offer of payment that you can afford, and just pay it, regardless of what they say to you.

You could ring the council concerned and see if they will take the debt back first, make sure you tell them your a vulnerable person.

Do not engage with bayliff chappie if he calls again, tell him through the letterbox your dealing with the matter in writing only, and goodbye.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 11-02-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • frightenedmouse
    • By frightenedmouse 11th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    frightenedmouse
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    Thank you both. I have read lots of that website, it's far more comprehensive than the CBA website!

Sourcrates, as basic and silly as it might sound, my anxiety is greatly reduced by having basic step by step info on what to do, so your reply is really helpful, thank you. Do you think I should email the enforcement agency and offer the payment arrangement, and pay the first instalment online tomorrow? Once I've rung the council and seen if they're willing to help of course. The bailiff said I had until 4pm to come up with the money but I don't know if that means he will be back tomorrow or not, and I'm scared of going out (I need to) and scared of staying in! I vaguely remembered not to let them in, so he hasn't been in the property at all thankfully.

Can the bailiff break in if I'm not home? Assuming doors and windows are locked (they are and will be). The letter he's given me tells me they can hire a locksmith to gain entry to my property. My landlord lives next door and I have an upstairs neighbour (who he really freaked out on Friday!) and I'm worried he'll ask my landlord to unlock my flat and my landlord will be scared and agree to it (or that my landlord will get angry at 'trouble' occurring next door- but that overall is lower on my list of concerns).

I'm still terrified but I think I might have a chance of getting some sleep tonight, so thank you both hugely for that.

Could someone clarify that I'm right that they can't take my motability car? I have read it but can't find it on the National Debtline website- and I'd rather not have to hide my car if I can help it- due to my illness and the reason for needing my car, I'd struggle to do that!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 13,208 Posts
    • 12,628 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    No they cant break in, no they cant take a mobility car.

As you are disabled, your first call should be to the council that issued the ticket, tell them your situation, they should be able to call off the bayliffs if they are any good at their job.

Do that first of all, see what they say, and take it from their.

Make sure they understand your circumstances, they have a duty of care you see, so should call them off altogether.

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-bailiffs

They like to exaggerate there powers somewhat.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 12-02-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• frightenedmouse
    • By frightenedmouse 12th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    frightenedmouse
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    Thank you so much, that's really set my mind at ease somewhat. I'll call the council first thing and take it from there.

I guess they just try to intimidate people into paying- well it worked! Only I just can't pay them unfortunately!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Feb 18, 12:21 AM
    • 13,208 Posts
    • 12,628 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:21 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:21 AM
    Thank you so much, that's really set my mind at ease somewhat. I'll call the council first thing and take it from there.

I guess they just try to intimidate people into paying- well it worked! Only I just can't pay them unfortunately!
    Originally posted by frightenedmouse
    Good luck, there will be more advice tommorow should you need it, quiet on a weekend usually.

Let us know how you get on, and if you need further help.

• frightenedmouse
    • By frightenedmouse 12th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    frightenedmouse
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    Hi. I've spoken to the council- they have said that since they didn't hear from me after issuing the penalty notices there's nothing they're able to do and I'll have to deal with the enforcement agency myself. I tried to explain my health issues (that's so difficult to do without feeling like you're exploiting your own illness for gain) but she said it was no longer their problem- she did speak to another office who told her these answers but they wouldn't speak to me themselves.

Now I'm panicking. Do I email the enforcement agency and explain things? I could attach copies of my DLA letter as evidence but I can't think what other evidence I have to hand easily. I have the mobile number of this guy but would really rather not call him if I can avoid it!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 13,208 Posts
    • 12,628 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    Hi. I've spoken to the council- they have said that since they didn't hear from me after issuing the penalty notices there's nothing they're able to do and I'll have to deal with the enforcement agency myself. I tried to explain my health issues (that's so difficult to do without feeling like you're exploiting your own illness for gain) but she said it was no longer their problem- she did speak to another office who told her these answers but they wouldn't speak to me themselves.

Now I'm panicking. Do I email the enforcement agency and explain things? I could attach copies of my DLA letter as evidence but I can't think what other evidence I have to hand easily. I have the mobile number of this guy but would really rather not call him if I can avoid it!
    Originally posted by frightenedmouse
    Ok, looks like the council are been useless then.

Give National Debtline a ring, click on the link in my signature, they are really helpful, and will guide you through your options over the phone.

Just remember, everything in writing, stay off the phone to the bailiff.

• National Debtline
    Hello there

The simplest approach might be to amend the following letter template to fit your circumstances, then send it to the bailiff firm:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Tell-a-bailiff-that-you-are-vulnerable-%28sole-name%29.aspx

as it asks them to return the debt to their client - or at least deal with it by means other than further doorstep visits - on the basis that you should be regarded as vulnerable for one reason or another.

In the meantime, please do bear in mind what sourcrates has already made very clear - no one here has any powers to break in and/or seize a mobility vehicle. Repeat visits tend to be unlikely in any case since they are unable to charge further fees simply for returning.

Dennis
    @natdebtline

EDIT - cross-posted with sourcrates - OP, by all means get in touch with us if that helps.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,402Posts Today

9,416Users online

Martin's Twitter