Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 11th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 383Posts
    • 2,639Thanks
    Si Clist
    Dumb Windows 10 welcome screen question
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    Dumb Windows 10 welcome screen question 11th Feb 18 at 8:19 PM
    At least I think it's called the welcome screen. Anyhow, when I fire up this laptop, on one of the screens that comes up, there's a small round picture that I chose when doing the initial setup of the machine. The user picture or something, maybe? Whatever, is it possible to just disappear the picture, so that when that screen comes up, there's only the background picture?

To clarify, I don't want to change the small round picture, I just want to get rid of it so all I see on that screen is the background image which I've set.
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 4,021 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    Where does that picture appear? For me, the only time I see the "user picture" is at the login screen. After login I don't see it at all (except in the Start menu).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 12th Feb 18, 7:14 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:14 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:14 AM
    OK then, it must be the login screen. Whatever, that picture in the small circle is what i'd like to get rid of. Not change for another one - just remove, so all that's there is the full-screen picture.
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 12th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 4,252 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    Is there only one user on the PC and are they security conscious?

If not just setup auto login using ms credentials and you will never see this again (unless you disable auto login)

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    If you mean on the lock screen then right click on the desktop and choose Personalise>Lock Screen and select "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen".

I use the PIN option but I think it should be the same for the Windows password option too.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 4,021 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    Not sure that hides the user picture though?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 12th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    Sorry guys, I may be misleading you because I'm not sure which screen's called what.

When I fire this laptop up, the sequence is first the maker's screen (Lenovo), then the blue "please wait", then the one that says "Welcome" and has the username below the small round picture, then the desktop.

It's that "Welcome" screen that's the vexation. At present, it still has the small picture and username, on a background of the same picture. What I'd like to do is just have the background, without the small picture and username ...
    • eringray
    • By eringray 12th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    eringray
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    Are you referring to the picture that appears at login. If so, I guess there is nothing much you could do to get rid of it. Unless you change it to windows 8 pro or similar.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    This screen? YOu can't change that, but you can make Windows 10 boot straight into your account without needing to see this screen.

• Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 12th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 2,639 Thanks
    Si Clist
    This screen?
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    Yep, but on mine, it's got my chosen picture in the circle and my username below it but I don't have to enter the password. So I guess this laptop's set up to go striaght to my account?

Sorry I'm not up to speed on the terminology ...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Not sure that hides the user picture though?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yes it does hide the log in box, I have to hit any key to get it up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,966Posts Today

9,234Users online

Martin's Twitter