Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bamgbost
    • By bamgbost 11th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    • 232Posts
    • 67Thanks
    bamgbost
    Mortgage Affordability
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:05 PM
    Mortgage Affordability 11th Feb 18 at 8:05 PM
    Been renting for ages now... prob 10years (since uni!)

Now we have saved and been fortunate enough to be gifted some money too.

As I have been doing some googling and mortgage calcs... I see that monthly repayments seem higher than I thought. in fact, more per month than our current rent.

Now i understand, that at least a mortgage is not dead money and all that. and I am still keen to get one.

But just wondered, what is the guideline for affordable repayments. is there a % figure for household income as a guide...?
    (With all the potential rate increases, etc. one doesn't wanna over commit on the mortgage)

also why is there this "assumption" that a mortgage would be less than rent. its what is always pantered about whilst renting.
Page 1
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 11th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    Been renting for ages now... prob 10years (since uni!)

Now we have saved and been fortunate enough to be gifted some money too.

As I have been doing some googling and mortgage calcs... I see that monthly repayments seem higher than I thought. in fact, more per month than our current rent.

Now i understand, that at least a mortgage is not dead money and all that. and I am still keen to get one.

But just wondered, what is the guideline for affordable repayments. is there a % figure for household income as a guide...?
    (With all the potential rate increases, etc. one doesn't wanna want to over commit on the mortgage)

also why is there this "assumption" that a mortgage would be less than rent. its what is always pantered about whilst renting.
    Originally posted by bamgbost
    Mortgage affordability checks will take into account a benchmark of if you could afford the mortgage if rates increased (I think it's around 5% but one of the brokers on here could confirm this).

To rent this house would cost me approximately £900-1000 per month. My mortgage is half this amount per month. It depends on equity and your loan repayments. If you have a low deposit or are borrowing a large amount then of course your repayments will be higher. If you purchase a flat there are also ground rent and service charges to include.

There are maintenance considerations when owning that you wouldn't perhaps get if renting. That said, imagine paying rent out of a pension. Owning provides more stability in the majority of situations. Given the volatility currently however, I wouldn't even be considering it if I had anything less than a 15% deposit.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 57,539 Posts
    • 50,851 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by bamgbost
    Maintenance costs, insurance costs etc are borne by the landlord. Property ownership includes replacement boilers, windows, carpets, kitchens, bathrooms , roofs all to be factored in over time.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,300Posts Today

7,701Users online

Martin's Twitter