Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DLGSLA
    • By DLGSLA 11th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DLGSLA
    Overdraft and loan
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    Overdraft and loan 11th Feb 18 at 7:24 PM
    Hello Iím new to MSE so Iím not sure if Iím in the right place? After a little advice to cover my debt. Between myself and my partner we owe around £6k debt (such as very, credit cards etc). Natwest is my only bank and only ever has been, I donít have a credit card with them, but have an overdraft with them which Iím living in the red due to maternity leave (£1.5k). We are struggling at the moment only due to the amount of debt we are paying out monthly! Is it worth asking for a loan to cover all the overdraft and debt so weíre just paying one debt over a period of time? If so what are the likely chances we will be successful? My partner now has quite a high paying job and I will soon be going back to work but will have nursery fees to pay. Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 13,227 Posts
    • 12,641 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    Hi,

No, you don;t want more debt, you need either money management or debt advice.

An SOA is the place to start, consolidating existing debt just does not work.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    Last edited by sourcrates; 11-02-2018 at 8:26 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 11th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    Welcome to the forum.

I agree with sourcrates - complete the SOA via the link provided. You can format it for MSE and post it here and the good forum members will see if they can offer suggestions to suit your situation.

Consolidation loans don't work and just get you further into a debt spiral. Please ditch this idea.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 12th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:10 AM
    Agree, do not get consolidation loan.

However , do work out what spending has got you into the debt and then work out strategies to mitigate the spending.

Solve that problem and you can then work on reducing the debt , highest apr by highest apr. As you have said the oD is main problem , so calculate how much it is costing you and then live frugally to reduce the dependancy.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 12th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 6,971 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    Simple answer as everyone else says, Complete a Statement of affairs, post it here, and stop spending. Cut right back on everything that is a 'want', only buy what is a 'need', like rent/mortgage, council tax, utilities, food, car to get to work. Everything else you can do without. Be brutal, like chopping back a tree, whittle it down to the bare branches.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    Agreeing with everyone else here (you'd not have seen that coming, would you!)

No to consolidation - it doesn't work, it just moves the problem.
    Step 1: SOA as stated above
    Step 2: give yourselves a proper working budget and learn to stick to it - this will take a bit of time as you adjust, make changes and find out where you can make savings on your current outgoings.
    Step 3: Get that overdraft gone and if further children are planned save for the next lot of maternity leave ahead of time so you don't find yourselves in the same situation again.

It may be that once we see your SOA the advice will be to set up a new bank account away from NatWest - but the priority at the moment is to work out what can be done to get rid of the OD. Personally I truly dislike overdrafts as they are what I call "dangerous" debt - the bank could call you tomorrow and say they are calling it in and there is nothing you can do about that - not the kind of unstable situation that any of us would think ideal. The good thing is though that you've spotted the issue and are looking to tackle it.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£842.87 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 12th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:14 PM
    6K is manageable debt and with two of you earning should be possible to pay it back.

As others have said do a SOA and work out your surplus/deficit. -£1.5K down on a current account is pretty bad, especially if it's your only card. Do you have other funds you can use if the worse case scenario happens as overdraft gets withdrawn?

Once you have received your pay, I would recommend getting your current account up to a positive balance as quickly as possible.

Make sure all your credit cards are on 0% interest switch them over if you can. If you pay back £250-£300 a month that will allow you to pay off the cards quickly.

If you cant get all of them onto 0% then just pay the minimum on the 0% cards and pay as much as you can on the other card, do minimum payments all all but the highest interest card.
    Last edited by seatbeltnoob; 13-02-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • katie4
    • By katie4 16th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    katie4
    • 16th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 16th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    Can i just add that sometimes consolidation loans do work!
    I now have one. i went with my local credit union as i couldnt get credit anywhere else
    i borrowed £3700 to pay off my high interest credit card repayments are now a more affordable £150 a month instead of £300 a month the card was costing me and its saving me a fortune in interest

i have found most people on here will tell you not to get a debt consolidation loan but so long as you remove your overdraft or cancel your credit card once they have been paid off with the loan and dont take any more credit then they can work. It's working for me

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,300Posts Today

7,701Users online

Martin's Twitter