Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newbuild7
    • By Newbuild7 11th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Newbuild7
    New build - room size wrong
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    New build - room size wrong 11th Feb 18 at 7:19 PM
    Hi,

We are currently in the process of purchasing a new build property. We have exchanged contracts already.

We went inside the property for the first time yesterday and measured up one of the bedrooms to see if our oversized single bed would fit. It didn’t but we were expecting this. However, we soon discovered even a normal single bed did not fit the the room. We looked at the measurements on the house drawings and realised this did not match what we had measured.

Anyway, we went back today assuming we had measured incorrectly but still found the room to be 30cm short meaning a standard bed will not fit. We measured the other rooms and have discovered the bathroom (which is next to said bedroom) is 30cm too wide! So we have been looking at the plot specific drawings again and have realised that the wall is in the wrong place!

We have booked in a meeting with head of site but not really sure where we stand on this. The plot has not been built to the drawings and the impact is that it is now no loner suitable for use as a bedroom.

Anyone had any similar issues? Or experiences? What was the outcome? Thank you.
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    I would usually call a single bedroom becoming a box room/study a significant change that will effect how much the property is worth, but to be fair, if 30cm make such a big difference, it was probably too small to be used as a bedroom anyway. I'm assuming the room is too small to put the bed the other way around, so it's <190cm in both directions?
    Last edited by Penitent; 11-02-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    • Newbuild7
    • By Newbuild7 11th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Newbuild7
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    Thank you for your reply. The bed can go the other way but the radiator is in the way. On the selling plans they have the bed in the direction we wanted but can no longer do if that makes sense? It is only a small room anyway - we wanted to use it as a spare room. Concerned how it will impact when selling on like you said.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    It's not uncommon to have a bed in front of a radiator (it's quite nice putting your feet on it on cold nights ). Can I ask how big the room is now?

Whatever action you try to take is unfortunately going to be hampered by you having exchanged. You'd need to have your solicitor check the contract for clauses about changes to the plans.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 11th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    Would the builder moving the radiator to the other wall be workable, and acceptable to you? Has that bathroom wall got anything built against it? How long is the other wall?
    • Newbuild7
    • By Newbuild7 11th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Newbuild7
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    Thanks for your replies.

The room is now 1860mm x 2633 mm as apposed to 2120 x 2633 mm. I know it!!!8217;s not a lot but it!!!8217;s equally frustrating when it makes a difference to the layout. Due to the shape of the room, moving the bed in front of the radiator means we would have to choose between a wardrobe or bedside table when we were hoping to have both. It!!!8217;s only going to be a spare room so not the end of the world but also not as we were expecting!

The wall in question has the tiles for the bath and the long side of the bath against it if that makes sense. I also wondered about asking them to move the radiator. I don!!!8217;t want to be unreasonable but it!!!8217;s also not as expected or as drawn on the plans. I understand we are in a bit of a tough place having exchanged so just trying to work out what/if any our options are.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    HampshireH
    How big is the room?

Housing Act 1985 specifies an effective minimum room size!to be 6.51m² (70ft²). Nothing in building regs thoigh and someone may correct me and say this is no longer the case.

Does it meet This? Not that it helps answer the issue I appreciate.

Goodluck with your meeting.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    *cross posted*
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    So that's about 6'1" x 8'7" in old money, vs 6'11" x 8'7"? It was always going to be a teeny room and you can still fit a single in it, albeit slightly more awkwardly.

By all means, see what you can get the developer to agree to, though. I agree with Boris about seeing if there's anywhere the radiator can go that would be less awkward. Maybe see if you can wangle some extras elsewhere in the house?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 36,687 Posts
    • 154,821 Thanks
    silvercar
    How big is the room?

Housing Act 1985 specifies an effective minimum room size!to be 6.51m² (70ft²). Nothing in building regs thoigh and someone may correct me and say this is no longer the case.

Does it meet This? Not that it helps answer the issue I appreciate.

Goodluck with your meeting.
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    This relates to definitions of overcrowding, particularly in social housing. Nothing to do with buying a home.
    • Newbuild7
    • By Newbuild7 15th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Newbuild7
    Hi.

Just wanted to let you all know that we met with the site manager. He raised our concerns with the senior manager who agreed a mistake had been made. They raised the issue with head office and it has been agreed that they will knock down the wall and move it into the correct place!

A bit scary with 6 weeks to go but they have reassured us it won!!!8217;t effect our completion date. Very pleased they have agreed to move it without it causing us too much hassle.

Thank you for your support.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 15th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Penitent
    That's brilliant news, well done!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,492Users online

Martin's Twitter