Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GSPGirl
    • By GSPGirl 11th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 6Thanks
    GSPGirl
    New Bathroom - Who did yours ?
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    New Bathroom - Who did yours ? 11th Feb 18 at 6:19 PM
    Hello

We are wanting a complete bathroom refit, currently we have an old walk in shower from about 30 years ago, separate WC in a small bathroom with combi boiler in the cupboard. Floor will need to be levelled and all tiles and old stuff will need taking away

We would like to have a wide end bath, power shower, new towel radiator, sink with unit underneath and new tiles on wall and floor, and decent extractor fan.

We have been quoted around 5k by Wickes and 7 by B & Q

B & Q said Wickes havent included all works which would be included, in order to entice us, then stick the extras on at the end so we cant back out.

We are too concerned with going with an independent trader as there are four of us using this bathroom daily and we need the entire job finishing as soon as possible, so if any subcontractors didnt turn up it might delay things

Friend recently had her bathroom done by B & Q and is very pleased and was around the same price

Opinions please.
Page 1
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 11th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    Local independent

The sheds use the cheapest workforce to maximise there profit . The installers get very little of the amount to fit and as such cut every corner possible

7k should get you a full in refit , back to brick and joists with branded materials
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    We are too concerned with going with an independent trader as there are four of us using this bathroom daily and we need the entire job finishing as soon as possible, so if any subcontractors didnt turn up it might delay things
    Originally posted by GSPGirl
    Do you not think that the 'DIY retailers' use subcontractors?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    Get a local small firm with a couple of vans/teams rather than a sole trader as they'll likely be quicker. Speak to neighbours for recommendations. Be wary of facebook recommendations
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 11th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    Get a local small firm with a couple of vans/teams rather than a sole trader as they'll likely be quicker. Speak to neighbours for recommendations. Be wary of facebook recommendations
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Things still need time to dry and your average bathroom will hardly house a team of trades

The customer should be focusing on quality rather than speed. It’s takes what it takes given a well fitted bathroom should last 25 plus years
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 24,469 Posts
    • 67,341 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    Do you not think that the 'DIY retailers' use subcontractors?
    Originally posted by J B
    I know exactly what you’re saying but I am just going to remove any ambiguity and say yes, they all employ subcontractors and that also means that on that scale you have no idea who you are buying to fit your bathroom.

Great that one person is happy but the next person is not going to get the same fitters. Comparing one B&Q bathroom fit to another is like comparing apples to oranges.

If you buy a small local firm, you will be buying the same people to fit as other happy customers.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • hansi
    • By hansi 12th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    hansi
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    I'm also looking to upgrade my bathroom. I have a two bedroomed house so it's quite a small bathroom. Had a kitchen fitted a few years ago by an independent company who did a great job so may go to them for a quote. I am in Cardiff so would would welcome any suggestions please?
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 24,140 Posts
    • 51,024 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    I had local independent fit a bathroom about ten years ago. The cost was £10k. I credit checked the company before we signed a contract with them and found that they were in dire straits. They wanted a lot of the cost up front. I refused and negotiated stage payments of £1k up front, £5k once all the materials had been delivered to site, £3k when the installation was complete, £500 seven days after that, and £500 after a further 21 days.

My caution was justified when, about 6 months later, they went bust and disappeared overnight from their smart showroom, leaving a number of people with substantial lost deposits.
    • kevincharley
    • By kevincharley 14th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kevincharley
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    This is a minefield. We took on a (supposedly) respectable local company who did an astonishingly awful job. To cut a long story short we ended up in court which was a thoroughly unpleasant experience.
    However, I wouldn't use any of the big chains either!
    Ask for recommendations, take your time, take note of the nagging doubts (which you obviously have or you wouldn't be posting on here!) and don't agree to anything until you're thoroughly happy with the company you're dealing with.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 14th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 4,027 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    This is a minefield. .
    Originally posted by kevincharley
    It really is. Bathroom fitting is a highly skilled job but most fitters don't have the skills. It took us years to find a decent fitter. They are also very expensive.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    EssexExile
    ...Bathroom fitting is a highly skilled job....
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    Crikey, I've always done it myself, I didn't realise I was so clever!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    chrisw
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Me too! Apart from the tiling, now that really is a skilled job I can’t quite get the hang of.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 15th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 4,027 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    The difference is that you know your own systems and you care that you do a good job.

Every bathroom is different and the bad fitters don't care if they do a good job or not and often don't have the skills and experience to do a good job even if they did care.

You only have to read about the nightmares that people have on this forum and on tv programmes with bathroom fitters.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 23,472 Posts
    • 61,061 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Local plumbers on two occasions. The first time was when we moved in, including altering layout. Later we changed from a coloured to a white suite.

In each case, we used our regular plumber who services our boiler and fire.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 15th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    The difference is that you know your own systems and you care that you do a good job.

Every bathroom is different and the bad fitters don't care if they do a good job or not and often don't have the skills and experience to do a good job even if they did care.

You only have to read about the nightmares that people have on this forum and on tv programmes with bathroom fitters.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    yeah, doing a bathroom professionally quickly is a skilled job. A lot of things can go wrong and cause a massive headache.

I do all my own bathrooms, but I take 5-10 times as long as a pro would quote for it, but I do everything 100% the right way. If I did it as a job, I would starve to death.
    • Dia Pita
    • By Dia Pita 15th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Dia Pita
    We have a small bathroom and had a complete overall. Goods from homebase costeoporosis £1300 and fitting plus radiator and baths ide cost £2300, so £3600 in total. this also included new bathroom suite, over bath shower with screen, toilet in a cupboard and 2 fully tilled walls and two half tiled walls and tiled floor.

We got loads of quotes and the fitters were independent of homebase but we're on their list of known fitters. The fitters were in big demand due to the high quality of their work so we had to wait for 4 months for the fit but worth it.

Debt Free Aug 15 Mortgage Free Aug 16
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 15th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 4,027 Thanks
    SuzieSue

We got loads of quotes and the fitters were independent of homebase but we're on their list of known fitters. The fitters were in big demand due to the high quality of their work so we had to wait for 4 months for the fit but worth it.
    Originally posted by Dia Pita
    Exactly. If the fitters are any good, then you have to wait for months and pay a premium.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter