Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 11th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 626Posts
    • 1,099Thanks
    Armchair23
    Leaving BT email worries
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    Leaving BT email worries 11th Feb 18 at 5:50 PM
    Having finally decided I really can't cope with BT's loyalty 'bonus' any more I've signed up to Plusnet for standard broadband and landline. And yes I do get the irony of BT owning Plusnet.

So 2 questions if anyone out there can advise I'd be really grateful.
    Do I have to change hubs or can I just use new settings on existing BT hub.
    AND most importantly will I definitely lose my BT email address if I don't cough up £5 PM.
    My online BT ID doesn't show me as having email so I can't upgrade and I'm also worried that if I do fork out £5 PM when I get to the end of my year with Plusnet it will count as me being a BT customer so I won't be able to switch back and benefit from any deals.

Any help or past experiences I'd welcome your feedback. TIA
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Feb 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:06 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:06 PM
    1) Sometimes you can, people do have success with reusing them. But Plusnet will send you a new router if you ask them.

2) ISP email almost always disappears if you leave that provider. BT in this case allow you to keep paying them £60 a year for an email address. Whether you think its worth coughing up for an email address when you can get a free one from Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook etc is up to you. BT tends for the most part to be the most expensive and the other providers can and often will beat them.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    Get a free email address such as a Gmail one. Transfer all your emails to that. Update all your contacts to use your new email. Never have to worry about ISP mail again.
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 12th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    I have other email addresses , but this is a very old one that might have obscure software registrations and the like and I'm loathe to have something slip through the net . I've not had to think about it too much until switching so I've been lazy.
    I'd probably pay £60 for the year just to be sure, but if I wanted to go back to BT on a deal in a years time it's usually only on new customers or not in contract over the previous year and I wondered if anyone had come up against that.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 10,168 Posts
    • 4,223 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    Seems foolish to pay £60 pa after leaving BT for a better deal .Far better to have negotiated a better deal with BT with the threat of leaving .
    You would need to read the terms of any future BT New customer offer .
    Personally if its not an active in use email account i would just let it drop .
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 12th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    Well even after negotiating I'd still be 50% better off with stumping up £60 PA given BT's charges and what I will be paying with the new supplier.
    Lots of rejigging after a death in the family so kind helpful advice is always very welcome.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 5,768 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:01 AM
    Why not pay the £5pm for just a few months to see what arrives, updating any senders with your new non-ISP email address. It does mean switching will not save you as much as you expected. Hopefully, you know never to use an ISP email address again.
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    spenderdave
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    Just for information by old @btinternet email kept working when I left them 10 years ago without paying them a penny. I just accessed it via pop every day and even though they sometimes threatened to stop it it it kept going. I have just returned to BT and that old address came back with it. So do not assume it will instantly stop working. And my old @sky.com address is still working as well.
    • ossie
    • By ossie 13th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    ossie
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    BT Home Hub 6 works fine. You only have to put your Plusnet logon name and password into the router instead once it disconnects from BT
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    Thanks to ossie and spenderdave for the input, I might just get a bit of leeway to sort stuff out properly.
    I don't know what the Plusnet router is like but obviously I'm familiar with the BT Hub, just worried about setting a new one up.
    • evenasus
    • By evenasus 13th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 8,519 Posts
    • 19,338 Thanks
    evenasus
    Thanks to ossie and spenderdave for the input, I might just get a bit of leeway to sort stuff out properly.
    I don't know what the Plusnet router is like but obviously I'm familiar with the BT Hub, just worried about setting a new one up.
    Originally posted by Armchair23
    We changed from BT to Plusnet last week and we chose to use the Plusnet hub.
    It looks just like the BT one, only it's white. It was simple to swap them over.
    The time for saving for a house deposit, is before you marry/live together/have children.
    Save for what you want to buy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,314Posts Today

8,006Users online

Martin's Twitter