Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brandane
    • By Brandane 11th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Brandane
    Deferred State Pension Payment
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    Deferred State Pension Payment 11th Feb 18 at 5:22 PM
    I deferred my state pension for 4 months (14 Sep 2017 entitled) and when checking the gov.uk web site on how to now apply I followed the instructions to obtain a gateway login to complete the application. When having the facility to apply for my state pension there was no help facility on the section 'when do you want to start your pension' so I entered 1st February 2018 as being the next month and not being aware that I could have entered 14 Sep 2017. I duly received notification that my pension will now be paid stating the deferred weekly payment would be £3.28 a week = £170.56 a year which will take about 14 years to pay me. I have written a letter of complaint about the no help options as above and waiting a reply. Has anyone else experienced the same and if so is there some ombudsman to contact?
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 57,446 Posts
    • 50,744 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    Why didn't you contact the Pension Service prior to entering a date. You could have aborted the application then returned later. After understanding your options better.
    Last edited by Thrugelmir; 11-02-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 11th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9,031 Posts
    • 9,117 Thanks
    Linton
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    Sorry, I dont understand what your problem is. The question seems straightforward to me and you got what you asked for. What did you want to happen?

It will be less than 14 years for payback because of inflation increases. Your life expectancy assuming you are in average health should be around 20 years so it's not a completely unreasonable deal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,048Posts Today

9,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: A huge thank you to everyone who has signed our #RecoverySpace campaign letter so far - we have reached over 1,000 names! If you?

• RT @fikee: Told a ridiculously cool young lad behind me in the supermarket that I loved his boots. He looked at me and in that split secon?

• Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Follow Martin