Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hatty1601
    • By Hatty1601 11th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hatty1601
    Is my Roof/House Safe?
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    Is my Roof/House Safe? 11th Feb 18 at 4:23 PM
    Hi, We recently moved into a new build barn conversion in December and with all the wet whether we have had recently, a few issues have appeared. To be fair the building company have sorted the issues so far however upon looking up through the loft hatches today (in the non vaulted part of the house) the electrician we had round to quote for CCTV raised massive concern about the structural integrity of the roof.

Our house is and L shaped one story with a pitched roof and at the point of the turn in the house there has been a breezeblock wall built up and the main wooden beam that holds the roof is resting on 2 bits of scrap slate and this is resting on the breeze blocks. I am also dubious about how the rest of the roof is supported as in places the wood doesnt meet properly, you can see the nails and gaps where it has been poorly cut. (i would attach pics but it just wont let me?!) and there is exposed next to the water pipes for the bathrooms.

We have contacted the building company but wondered if anyone could offer opinion on if we are right to be concerned or just over reacting haha!

thanks!
Page 1
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 11th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    Really need pics. Post a link to imgur without the http and we'll add that.

First reaction is how would your sparks feel about a roofer telling him his wiring was wrong?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 24,263 Posts
    • 90,900 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    You can post broken links and someone will fix them.

This is really something that needs to be shown in some detail before those in the know can comment.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,456 Thanks
    Furts
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    Barn conversions are always an alarm bell ringing. There can be a multitude of issues present and a multitude of issues hidden.

A couple of pointers... do you have a barn conversion warranty in place? Do you have all the details of the Buildings Regulations Inspections plus the comments and observations. What survey did you commission before parting with your money? What did this survey reveal, if anything?
    • Hatty1601
    • By Hatty1601 11th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hatty1601
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:14 PM
    Hopefully this works?

//imgur.com/a/mrVPe
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 11th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:16 PM
    Yep. https://imgur.com/a/mrVPe

OMG! I'd be calling your conveyancing solicitor at 9am tomorrow. How did that get signed-off by Building Control?

Last edited by Debbie Savard; 11-02-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    • Hatty1601
    • By Hatty1601 11th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hatty1601
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    added one more image too. really hard to get a pic of the wood joins
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,456 Thanks
    Furts
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    No doubt you know a new home purchase is buyer beware. This is even more so when it is a barn conversion. Consequently a full survey is a must. If you never had this undertaken then you should be getting one soon.

I cannot put your photos into context, but the impression being sent out is one of dodgy plumbing, even more dodgy wiring, no vapour membrane, no foil check plasterboard, missing roof insulation. undersized timbers, lack of preservative treatment, poor structural integrity, no padstones installed, inadequate shimming ... I will stop there. I am sure you get the idea!

In all this there are so many questions that arise in addition to the elephant in the room. The elephant is if these doubts arise from just a couple of photos then what else is wrong with your barn conversion?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 24,263 Posts
    • 90,900 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    I think we have seen enough to determine that this is not a top-notch job, so the questions Furts has raised are most relevant now, especially with regard to guarantees you may have in place and whether you employed a surveyor to conduct a full inspection before taking ownership.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Hatty1601
    • By Hatty1601 11th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hatty1601
    Yikes!! I will admit, i'm quite naive when it comes to knowing what went on during the purchase (my husband dealt with everything) i'll get onto to him at work now and ask!!!!

Nevertheless thank you for the help so far guys! I'll be having interesting conversations tomorrow!!!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,456 Thanks
    Furts
    Yikes!! I will admit, i'm quite naive when it comes to knowing what went on during the purchase (my husband dealt with everything) i'll get onto to him at work now and ask!!!!

Nevertheless thank you for the help so far guys! I'll be having interesting conversations tomorrow!!!
    Originally posted by Hatty1601
    Do not go in all guns blazing. You need to calmly go back to stage 1 and logically work out what has happened during the barn conversion.

Also forum folks do not know what country you are in, nor what contract you had, nor what inspection regime was in place, nor what purchase arrangements were in place, nor what warranty details apply. I say this to give a balanced approach. For example, to give one scenario, this could have been built by mates working cash in hand evading all accepted regulations. I have seen this done, I have been part of it, it does happen!

Basically your photos do not tell the full story, nor can one use small shots to form a full picture

You would be wise to be discrete on getting a survey done. Only you know your commercial relationship with the builder/developer but you need to keep them on your side to get things sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

976Posts Today

7,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @brendyeire: @MartinSLewis A good bit more. Would have eaten more ten years ago, but was a student then. Now working FT and can afford m?

• RT @twikki: @MartinSLewis Quit meat in January and saved about £50-100 a month on my shopping and eating out. Feel a lot healthier about my?

• Today's twitter poll: How much meat & poultry do you eat now compared to ten years ago?

• Follow Martin