Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mbgeezle
    • By Mbgeezle 11th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mbgeezle
    Car Crash on first day of owning! Advice needed
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    Car Crash on first day of owning! Advice needed 11th Feb 18 at 3:53 PM
    Hi. I was involved in a rtc yesterday hours after purchasing my car. The back end just went and I ploughed into a parked vehicle. My friend has been quite badly injured he was not wearing his seatbelt (idiot I no!) and I'm just suffering with whiplash. I phoned my proposed insurers literally on the way to purchase the vehicle so I knew it was insured beforehand. I drove back from purchasing which was a 2hr round trip and picked my friend up as we we're going to get a hair cut. I was then going to drive home. The police informed me that the vehicle hadn't been mot'd since late 2016! I wasn't aware of this when purchasing. My fault for not checking. From rules I've read that insurers cannot refuse a claim based on no mot fsa rules etc. Which has put my mind at rest as literally had the car a matter of hours! But also that's means no valid road tax, which I attempted to do online at the scene of purchase. But the internet wasn't the best. So it wouldn't go through (due to their being no valid mot I now realise). Anyway to cut a long story short, not sure if my car is a right off, police officers were really decent about it and have just telephoned me chasing up my policy number which i will get from my insurers in the morning. I was not breathylised at the scene which is the first thing they should do! And they also put no markers down to measure my speed, I was also not checked over by the ambulance crew who arrived 45 minutes after being called! I have a receipt also with the date and time of purchase from the person I bought it off which shows it was a matter of hours before the accident. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 17,934 Posts
    • 12,203 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    You need to read carefully what you agreed to when you took out the insurance. Did they ask if the car was taxed and MOTd, not the same situation as them running out during the insurance period.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Mbgeezle
    • By Mbgeezle 11th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mbgeezle
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    From what I've read on this forum and on numerous threads here even if it says in the small print they can not actually refuse on the mot grounds, unless they prove that the vehicle was unroadworthy before the accident (it was roadworthy) I even made the police officer check the tyres! It may affect my final pay out because of the mot. But shouldn't effect the insurance.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 11th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 20,335 Posts
    • 12,590 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    Your Insurers may try and pay you the "Market Value" of the car at the time of the accident eg with another owner on the log book which may be considerably less than you paid.

The Ombudsman requires an Insurer to pay for a vehicle you have "Recently purchased" the amount you paid for the vehicle. So if your Insurer offer you less than you paid (Excluding the Excess and any deduction for the remaining premiums) then refer them to the relevant advice from the Ombudsman
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 2,382 Thanks
    marlot
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    ...The back end just went...
    Originally posted by Mbgeezle
    ...it was roadworthy...
    Originally posted by Mbgeezle
    How do you know it was roadworthy, or were you simply driving too fast for the conditions?

You can't claim for your own injuries. But your friend may be able to claim from you/your insurance. Also the owner of whatever you hit.

Your insurer may reduce your payout to reflect the value of the car with no MOT. Or they coud say that you've driven other than in accordance with the Ts&Cs if the car is unroadworthy. As I understand it, this is most likely to be used when th car has illegally bald tyres.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 11th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Hoogle
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    It was not Taxed or MOTd I had an issue with my car parked on the Driveway a few years ago when I was Abroad for 1 year the tax and MOT had ran out 6 weeks before my return. Whilst I was away it was stolen and burnt out. My insurance company (more than) refused to pay out as it was not motd or taxed. But after a letter of appeal explaining it they did end up paying me a fair price for the car.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 11th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 15,192 Posts
    • 13,667 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    So you knew the car was not taxed, but still drove it on the public roads?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,038Posts Today

7,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin