Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 11th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 1,205Thanks
    Beenie
    Bank balance limits and benefits
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    Bank balance limits and benefits 11th Feb 18 at 2:13 PM
    My mother has dementia. This means that she has an inability to plan, go shopping, withdraw cash from the bank, and so her current account balance is about £10,000.

She is in her mid-eighties, receives state pension, pension credit and housing benefit. Social services are involved and she has carers to oversee her medication and that she is eating.

Can anyone advise what will happen about her bank account? It will only grow as she is frugal with her spending, and we are worried that it will affect her pension entitlement. Or does it only affect JSA and people of working age? A bit confused on this
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    Savings can affect income-based benefits like pension credit and housing benefit and you can be expected to contribute to your care costs if you have savings of a certain amount. I'm not sure of the details, though.

I would recommend Age UK if you don't get the answers you need from another poster. I'm told they're very good for benefit advice.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 11th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    Anything over £10k in savings will affect pension credit, HB etc.

savings limits for pensioners starts at £10k, its only £6k for working age benefits.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 24,533 Posts
    • 14,380 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs48_pension_credit_fcs.pdf

Does she have an indefinite assessed income period?
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 11th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    Xylophone, I don't know what that phrase means, so I don't know if she has it or not. Is it something I need to ascertain?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 18, 4:56 PM
    • 11,132 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:56 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:56 PM
    To see if she has an assessed Income period look on her last Pension Credit award letter.

If she does then any increase in her savings does not need to be reported and will not affect her Guarantee Pension Credit.

If she doesn't then any savings over £10000 will reduce her PC by £1 for every £250 over the £10000.

As long as she continues to receive any amount of guarantee Pension Credit will entitle her to full HB as it is now.

Is she receiving Attendance Allowance?
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 11th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    I don't have access to her benefit/pensions mail. I live over 200 miles away and go see her every 8 weeks or so. That used to be enough, but she has rapidly declined in the last couple of months. Each time I visit, her desk is clear of correspondence apart from utility bills (which I pay). There is no cheque book, bank letters or anything from DWP. The bank won't deal with me as I am not the customer, and I have no idea how to talk to DWP. Don't you need a NI number for one thing? I don't know hers.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 16,884 Posts
    • 29,563 Thanks
    Ames
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    The DWP won't be able to talk to you because of data protection laws. If she phoned them and then asked to hand the phone over to you then they would be able to.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 11,132 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    Do you have power of attorney for her?
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 11th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    No. And I can't get ot now due to her mental incapacity.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 24,533 Posts
    • 14,380 Thanks
    xylophone
    Xylophone, I don't know what that phrase means,
    Explained in link.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    Penitent
    What about becoming her apointee for her benefits? I think that would allow you to receive her benefits, pay her bills, etc. It would certainly allow you to communicate with them on her behalf.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 11th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    Yes. I am told that I need an appointment with both myself and mother and a DWp visiting officer. That means making a train journey and booking a hotel room for an overnight stay. I can't do that a the drop of a hat, so we are looking at mid-March.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 24,533 Posts
    • 14,380 Thanks
    xylophone
    Have you started looking into Deputyship/Appointeeship as discussed

post 13 and 17.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789552
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 11th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    Yes. I have asked about that. See #13 here.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    Penitent
    Ah, sorry, didn't see your other thread. It looks like you've already had some great advice on your next steps. There's nothing you can do with her bank account in the meantime, so I would focus on sorting out becoming her deputy first and sorting out any overpayments with the DWP etc, later once you have the power to do that.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 12th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    I spoke to her social worker today and she said that it was possible to apply for Powerof Attorney on-line. As long as the form is downloaded, completed by me and countersigned by someone who has known the donor (that is my mother) for over 2 years, it should be possible to avoid visiting a solicitor.

The only snag is that DWP need to confirm her benefits in writing, which is yet another hurdle. Does anyone know if this can be done by my written request, or does mother have to ask for this info? She doesn't have a telephone by the way, and I don't think there's a DWP office local to her.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 12th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    Penitent
    Are you sure the social worker wasn't thinking of Lasting Power of Attorney? What you're describing sounds like the process my mother put in place for if she loses capacity in the future, but she currently has the capacity to do it. The purpose of the witness is to confirm that the person has capacity to sign and is not being pressured to do so.
    Last edited by Penitent; 12-02-2018 at 8:44 PM. Reason: brain fart.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 12th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Beenie
    Maybe it was LPoA instead of PoA.

Is there much of a difference?
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 12th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    Penitent
    She can't do an LPA if she doesn't have capacity, you need to aaply to become a deputy.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/if-the-person-you-want-to-help-has-lost-mental-capacity

Edit:
    Actually, wait for someone to confirm if that's right or not. I'm a bit sleep deprived and losing IQ points by the hour.
    Last edited by Penitent; 12-02-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,530Posts Today

8,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin