Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 4pes0j1
    • By 4pes0j1 11th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    4pes0j1
    UK Residency and H2B/LISA's
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    UK Residency and H2B/LISA's 11th Feb 18 at 12:30 PM
    I'm looking to open either a H2b ISA or a LISA, however am unsure as to my eligibility when it comes to my UK residency status. Both the H2B and LISA requirements state that I need to be a UK resident. Whilst I am a UK citizen, having been born and bread here, I work abroad and due to the nature of my work, am not susceptible to UK tax.

The HMRC guidelines state that such criteria must be met in terms of 'how long one is in the country for per fiscal year', but how is this calculated? By stating that I have to be in the UK for at least 6 months of the fiscal year mean that I have to shell out 6 months worth of tax to even be considered eligable for the ISA's? There has to be some way around this as there is 1.3 million UK citizens working abroad in the EU alone who need this extra push, but seemingly cant get it.

My understanding is that unless you pay 'X' amount of tax each year to the government, they're not going to help you. Meaning that this 'bonus' is alot less than it appears.

Does anyone know anymore information on laws governing UK residency and working abroad with not tax?

Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    Hi

Try reading this page to determine your residency status:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

I can see the government's position on this that if you are paying tax elsewhere then maybe elsewhere should be giving you something in return?

Alex
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Feb 18, 12:20 AM
    • 6,233 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:20 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 12:20 AM
    There has to be some way around this as there is 1.3 million UK citizens working abroad in the EU alone who need this extra push, but seemingly cant get it.

My understanding is that unless you pay 'X' amount of tax each year to the government, they're not going to help you. Meaning that this 'bonus' is alot less than it appears.
    Originally posted by 4pes0j1
    This won't be what you want to hear, but, speaking as a UK taxpayer, I have to say that I'm quite happy that the UK government isn't offering handouts and incentives to subsidise non-UK taxpayers who don't contribute anything to the UK economy - if you're that keen to take advantage of one of the benefits of living in the UK then you know what to do....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,571Posts Today

9,196Users online

Martin's Twitter