Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlackTalos
    • By BlackTalos 11th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BlackTalos
    Foreign Credit Card refusals
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    Foreign Credit Card refusals 11th Feb 18 at 11:39 AM
    On the Main Street, shops will take any Card with chip and pin that is accepted, including cards from across the world.

On what grounds can companies (letís not say Car Insurance) refuse to accept foreign cards?

It is the same person paying, they will be receiving payment, and exchange rates are costed to the Credit Card company.

Could this be classed as discrimination against foreigners?
    Does anyone know where these laws could be found or which authoritiy would enforce this?

Car Insurance is already a toxic environment. I wonder if they are getting away with more every year...
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 24,431 Posts
    • 11,716 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    Where is the foreign card address - UK or abroad?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • BlackTalos
    • By BlackTalos 11th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BlackTalos
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:09 PM
    Registered abroad yes.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 6,604 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:10 PM
    In general, a supplier is free to refuse to accept any particular means of payment - including a foreign card. It's a commercial decision, they don't have to justify it. I'm guessing they might experience more fraud when people are paying with foreign cards.

Refusing to serve a non-UK citizen on those grounds might be discriminatory (for example EU regs in the case of a non-UK citizen, or race discrimination depending on the countries involved). But that's really a different matter. Foreigners can have UK cards and UK people can have foreign cards.
    • BlackTalos
    • By BlackTalos 11th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BlackTalos
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    Yes, to be more specific, this would be a case of a non-UK citizen paying with their home country!!!8217;s Card, registered at their home address, being refused on payment here in the UK.

A card that, anywhere else (UK shops, UK fees and UK restaurants) has been accepted. A rare few cases have required a signature, but never outright refused on the terms of being foreign.
    Ie accepted as a Visa Credit card. Insurance company reacted upon the !!!8220;where registered!!!8221; question, rather than !!!8220;card type!!!8221; or !!!8220;policy holder!!!8221;, which could both have been correct grounds for refusal (IT reasons and customer-specific requirements).
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 11th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 24,431 Posts
    • 11,716 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    Have you thought that you might not be eligible for the insurance you want to buy.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 6,604 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    I'm sorry but you seem a bit fixated on what you consider "correct" grounds for refusal.

The willingness of other merchants to accept the card has nothing to do with it.

Whilst we don't know why they have a particular restriction on foreign-registered cards, I can't see why they cannot have such a restriction if they want to.

I'm guessing it's either some kind of profiling - foreign cards being more associated with fraud/chargebacks. OR, a compliance issue - they are concerned that payment being taken from a foreign jurisdiction might embroil them in that country's regulations (notwithstanding the contract is formed in the UK).

I've had similar things when living overseas with my UK cards. Never clear to me why, but just something I accepted.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 11-02-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    I think this most likely comes down to address verification rather than "discrimination". It's common for online retailers to refuse a card that isn't registered to the delivery address (or the home address in the case of insurance etc). It's a fraud prevention measure.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 11th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 4,352 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    Sounds like their target market is UK residents - they have therefore not extended their systems to accept non-local payment methods.

I note you only say home country - if it's not in the EU, EEA or Switzerland then they have little in the way of 'foreigner rights'.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 6,604 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Sounds like their target market is UK residents - they have therefore not extended their systems to accept non-local payment methods.

I note you only say home country - if it's not in the EU, EEA or Switzerland then they have little in the way of 'foreigner rights'.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Not really sure it's a case of "extending" systems to accept non-local payment methods. When I've accepted CCs as a merchant, foreign cards work the same as local ones (except for the chip/sig thing). It does sound to me like they've taken a positive step to reject transactions involving a foreign card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,312Posts Today

6,356Users online

Martin's Twitter