Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 11th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 3Thanks
    energy1x
    New build utility bills
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    New build utility bills 11th Feb 18 at 10:04 AM
    Quick question about new build utility bills...

Just moved into new build flat. Took water and electricity metre readings on completion (with photo). Developer believes the electricity provider is Scottish Power but on trying to register an account with them online they say they do not provide the supply.

I will go back to the developer tomorrow morning via sales office and ask what is going on and also who provides the gas and where the metre reading can be found.

My main question is, how early can I switch to a cheaper tariff? I have signed up for cheap energy club and there are savings to be had so I want these immediately! Obviously I will need to ascertain who my current supplier is beforehand, but as soon as I discover this can I switch instantly?
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 7,440 Posts
    • 4,194 Thanks
    martindow
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    Here is a link to find out your electricity provider

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 11,666 Posts
    • 16,421 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    Quick question about new build utility bills...

Just moved into new build flat. Took water and electricity metre readings on completion (with photo). Developer believes the electricity provider is Scottish Power but on trying to register an account with them online they say they do not provide the supply.

I will go back to the developer tomorrow morning via sales office and ask what is going on and also who provides the gas and where the metre reading can be found.

My main question is, how early can I switch to a cheaper tariff? I have signed up for cheap energy club and there are savings to be had so I want these immediately! Obviously I will need to ascertain who my current supplier is beforehand, but as soon as I discover this can I switch instantly?
    Originally posted by energy1x
    Switching energy suppliers does not happen instantaneously. Ideally the switch should take no longer than 17 days due to Ofgem challenging energy suppliers to cut their switching times. However, some smaller, independent supplier may take longer than this.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 11th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    When you change supplier, they will take a couple of weeks then ask for "current" meter readings for the switch. Just give them the readings you had when you moved in, then you won't be liable for any consumption from the current supplier so their closing bill to you will be zero.

I have done this a couple of times and it works. The only hiccup will be if they send a meter reader round in the meantime but they are few and far between these days.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 11th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    You don't need to involve the existing supplier. Sign up with your new supplier and they will contact the old supplier who should then send you a closing bill.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    It's safer to sign up with the current supplier in order to give new readings otherwise you could end up arguing about the readings on entry which you may or may not win.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    When you change supplier, they will take a couple of weeks then ask for "current" meter readings for the switch. Just give them the readings you had when you moved in, then you won't be liable for any consumption from the current supplier so their closing bill to you will be zero.

I have done this a couple of times and it works. The only hiccup will be if they send a meter reader round in the meantime but they are few and far between these days.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff

While I love this idea in theory, I think it is energy theft or fraud in practice, unless no energy has been used at all.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 11th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    energy1x
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have made some progress today by discovering the supplier of the gas and I now have the MPRN number and whatever use that may be in future. Still have not located the gas meter.

I will get onto the developer tomorrow to find out who does the electricity and confirm the gas supplier again to double check. Then I will take all the meter readings and try to switch and also set up an online account with whoever the current providers are to at least give them the meter readings from when I moved in.

Is this the correct course of action? I do not want to leave it too long and end up paying for the developers use of electricity etc! I haven't touched the gas yet luckily!
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 11,666 Posts
    • 16,421 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:43 PM

I have made some progress today by discovering the supplier of the gas and I now have the MPRN number and whatever use that may be in future. Still have not located the gas meter.

I will get onto the developer tomorrow to find out who does the electricity and confirm the gas supplier again to double check. Then I will take all the meter readings and try to switch and also set up an online account with whoever the current providers are to at least give them the meter readings from when I moved in.
    Alternatively you could use the link Martin provided earlier.....

Here is a link to find out your electricity provider

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
    Originally posted by martindow
    Is this the correct course of action? I do not want to leave it too long and end up paying for the developers use of electricity etc! I haven't touched the gas yet luckily!
    Why would you end up paying for the developer's gas and electricity? You took meter readings the day you moved in that is sufficient.

Are you sure you haven't used any gas? Is the water heated using electricity? Even if your gas consumption is genuinely zero it's likely there will be standing charges to pay.
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 11th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    energy1x
    That link doesn't recognise my postcode and even putting in my previous address postcode it does not specify the supplier. It states all homes in my entire borough are supplied by the same firm. That can't be true, everyone switches all the time
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    The link given was, as you found out, the wrong one. Try this page which explains who to contact.

https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/who-supplies-my-electricity-and-gas/
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 12th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    energy1x
    Contacted developer today, I have 3 meter readings - electricity, water, gas.

NOW is the hard part. Apparently, Scottish Power provide the gas and electricity - cannot stand waiting any longer on their awful phone line, last time waited 25 minutes before ending the call, got better things to do all day.

HOW can I contact the suppliers and provide the meter readings from when I moved in? Scottish Power won't let me do anything at all online unless I have an account number.

Catch 22, I want to provide the readings to start accounts up and ensure I only pay for what I am using. But blocked from this by stupid inefficient customer service lines. Is it a case of enduring the stupid call centre music or should I just switch suppliers now and see what happens?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 6,750 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Your new suppliers may be able to sort out the switch without you having to speak to SP, though not sure how you deal with the initial readings (is there anything significant on the meters already?).
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 11,666 Posts
    • 16,421 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    You don't need to contact your current supplier to change to a different supplier.

Would this thread be better placed on the Energy board?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I would just switch and let Scottish Power go hang, since they clearly do not want your business. If you never set up an account with them, they may have a hard time proving you owe them any money.

Sooner or later, you will receive correspondence from them addressed to "The Occupier". They cannot prove you were there/using any gas/electricity for the period they wish to bill, can they? They do not know your name.

All energy (and telecoms) companies are the same, I think. You cannot find out anything without first becoming a customer, least of all whether they provide a service you would want to sign up to.

You can either wait for them to come to you as detailed above or take the bull by the horns and just switch, giving your opening meter readings from when you first moved in. That way you are paying for the energy you have used, just to the supplier of your choice rather than the default one. Good luck. I am interested to know how you get on.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 12th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    energy1x
    The plot thickens.... I spoke to someone at UK Power Networks who are the 'distributor' in my area. They have my development down under a completely different post code, and also they hold a completely different MPAN number.

At what point does this become my issue or should I leave this all with the developer and just feign ignorance till it gets resolved by them?

I am beginning to see why the sales advisor in charge of my completion said the previous residents who had completed several months ago were yet to receive their initial bill from Scottish Power!

Not entirely sure what to do. It isn't my responsibility as I did not make the error if one has been made and the developer has set it all up completely wrong or someone has down the line!
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 13th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    saajan_12
    The plot thickens.... I spoke to someone at UK Power Networks who are the 'distributor' in my area. They have my development down under a completely different post code, and also they hold a completely different MPAN number.

At what point does this become my issue or should I leave this all with the developer and just feign ignorance till it gets resolved by them?

I am beginning to see why the sales advisor in charge of my completion said the previous residents who had completed several months ago were yet to receive their initial bill from Scottish Power!

Not entirely sure what to do. It isn't my responsibility as I did not make the error if one has been made and the developer has set it all up completely wrong or someone has down the line!
    Why are you ignoring all advice? Just pick your new deal/provider, they'll contact whoever your current provider is. You just give the new company updated meter readings on the day they take over supply.

Of course its your problem, its now your house and your bills. When the current provider hears from the new people they'll probably resurface and you can dispute the start readings with them at that time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,450Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here? https://t.co/W5OJieZddJ

• URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA? https://t.co/BDK21rkLL4

• Follow Martin