Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ErolGirl
    • By ErolGirl 11th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 22Thanks
    ErolGirl
    Retention question
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    Retention question 11th Feb 18 at 8:46 AM
    Hi

We just bought a house and before buying we had to do the usual surveys - damp, timber, roof, structural. We got recommendations back on the damp and roof surveys which totalled £7000 which then went against the house as a retention.

Since moving in to the house we got a second opinion on the damp and he has said we don't have any damp problem it's a condensation issue and we actually don't need to spend a penny we just need to improve ventilation and insulation.

I've removed the mouldy wallpaper and it confirmed that there is no damp problem at all our walls are fine!! Now I'm super annoyed cause we paid 200 for the damp survey and we had to borrow money from my mum to cover the retention! So my question is are we able to get the retention removed or something similar? I'm not 100% sure how it works! Or can we spend the money elsewhere in the house???
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 36,662 Posts
    • 154,737 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    You ask the lender what they require to remove the retention. Normally it is evidence that the work has been done, in this case it may be a report stating that the work is unnecessary. They then release the retention and you can repay your Mum.
    • ErolGirl
    • By ErolGirl 11th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ErolGirl
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    I did speak to the bank previously about it and they said we only get back what we spend? Because our mortgage amount is 7k less than what it should have been so the cash we put in goes against the house? I'm so confused...
    • ErolGirl
    • By ErolGirl 11th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    ErolGirl
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    I just double checked our mortgage papers and our mortgage loan amount is 7k less due to us paying the extra 7k retention....
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 36,662 Posts
    • 154,737 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    Also confused.

They kept 7k back because they reckon the property needs 7k spending on it to reach full value. Once that has been spent, the house should be worth full value and they should release the retention.

However, in your case, there is no damp, so the property doesn't need money spending on it. I guess they are saying that you don't need the money. Its an odd one.

All you can do is go back to the lender and ask them to reconsider.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,888Posts Today

5,636Users online

Martin's Twitter