Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Feb 18, 6:14 AM
    • 1,341Posts
    • 18,849Thanks
    Old Style Daily Sunday 11th February
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:14 AM
    Old Style Daily Sunday 11th February 11th Feb 18 at 6:14 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Feb 18, 6:24 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 18,849 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:24 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:24 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's very dark and windy out there this morning. I've just let the dogs out and they couldn't wait to get back in the warm again. Bobby has settled in really well and Max seems to be ok with the new situation.

Half term is here so I have the pleasure of the girls company for the next week. I am worried that there will be arguments which stress Becky out a lot. I suppose we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Steve is in charge of the kitchen today and we are having roast pork loin for lunch. I have to make a few cakes for my friend as well so will tackle that job either this afternoon or tomorrow.

I've been reading everyone's news but haven't felt up to posting. I'm struggling with my own black dog (not Max ) and it is hard to keep a brave face on.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Feb 18, 7:09 AM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 13,095 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:09 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:09 AM
    Morning everyone

Thanks for starting us off dumpling.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with ‘the black dog’ dumpling. You have been under so much stress that it’s not surprising. Please take care of yourself. I hope that half term goes better than you are anticipating there are not any arguments. Take care. X

Csarina I was so sorry to hear about your friend’s daughter, she was so young, it is such a tragedy and so sad.

I had a lovely day yesterday, doing not a lot. I did clean the bathroom and change my bedding, but after that I spent the day reading and watching a couple of films I had recorded.

Today I have a neighbour calling for me to help her with some paperwork. I don’t think that will take too long, it is just completing some Power of Attorney forms.

Then I need to get a bit more housework done, and if the weather isn’t too bad would like to go out for a walk this afternoon. I find it difficult to be indoors for more than a couple of days, I do like to get out in the fresh air.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 15,641 Posts
    • 132,571 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    Good Morning chums, well I have managed to get logged back in on my lap-top, yesterday's fiasco seems to have sorted itself out at least, so I am still amongst you all

This afternoon I am off with my DD to my DGD Katie's baby shower her friend arranged it all, and its at a local hotel.
    Then tonight at DDs for dinner as usual.

Tomorrow night I am using my 'freebie' birthday voucher from a pub chain to have my dinner. I had two sent to me, one from a Beefeater, and one from a Brewers Fayre, both local chains that I have loyalty cards with I had delicious fish 'n' chip on Friday at one, and will probably have chicken tomorrow night at the other Tuesday night is quiz night so no cooking for me to do before Wednesday

Dumpling, I hope things brighen up for you today, you are doing such a fantastic job holding every one together .

The weather looks pretty damp out there at the moment, hopefully a bit warmer than yesterday ,boy was that wind bitter.

I hope everyone has a good and peaceful Sunday.

Mine will follow its usual pattern this morning .Prep any veg for the week, menu plan (that won't take long this week )whiz around the sitting room with the hoover.Sit and do a bit of knitting whilst listening to The Archers Its one mad round of excitement in my house on a Sunday morning But I do relax with a large pot of coffee at the same time

Have a good day chums and keep warm and well wrapped up

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 41,037 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    Morning everyone

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I up enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day, DS1 didn't come in until the early hours so not expecting to see him anytime soon, DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was pizza, chicken portions, chips/salad and coleslaw/pasta salad. Today we're having roast lamb etc. I will organise pack ups whilst the lunch is cooking and probably not do much else, as I'm now full of cold. I'm hoping to feel fit enough to go to work tomorrow, we'll see. I'm dosed up with meds at the moment.

Heating engineers arrived and got stuck in, I'm really impressed with the new boiler, it's much easier to use/control the temperature than the old one, and I had to keep adjusting the temperature and we very nearly turned it off at one point last night as it was so hot it was becoming uncomfortable - it just goes to show how inefficient the other boiler had become when it did work! The heating has come on this morning and soon got us to a comfortable temperature, the electrician is coming tomorrow to install the thermostatic controller - it's a portable one, so once that's installed the job will be finished.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 11-02-2018 at 7:18 AM.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Feb 18, 7:36 AM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 23,762 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:36 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:36 AM
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Dumpling, am sorry to hear that you are struggling at the moment, please take care m'dear x

Felt rough yesterday evening so took myself off to bed at 8.30, not so bad this morning but do feel like I am fighting off a bug all the time
    Today we are meeting youngest DSS and his gf for brunch, DOH had a great time at the footie yesterday and the result came out the right way so nice for what was his Christmas present.
    Other than that no other plans, will get over and see my lovely girlie at some point, not sure about riding as very windy and cold.

Enjoy your Sunday's folks x
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 4,164 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off dumpling, sorry to hear that you are struggling

Csarina I'm so sorry to hear such sad news

Went shopping yesterday, when will I learn not to go on a Saturday.

Bright and sunny here, bet it's cold, but hope to have a walk.

Nothing much planned. Will get in touch with DIL, maybe we can see DGS this week as it's half term, fingers crossed.

Take care
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 25,401 Thanks
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    Morning folks and thanks DUMPLING for kicking off. What weather we are having! Last night the wind got up and the rain started. I could hear things blowing around outside. Woke up this morning to snow and they have forecast more snow showers throughout the day. Spring is a long time coming despite the signs in the gardens!

Yesterday turned into a cba day and I fear today will be the same. I blame the weather as I just want to snuggle on the sofa with my big fleece!

I raided what was left in the Christmas meat stocks last night and got a nice big pork tenderloin fillet out to defrost for dinner today. I shall do that with roasties, veg. Yorks puds etc. I shall make sure I do enough to have leftovers tomorrow.

Have a good day folks and, as always, ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried and lonely. Thinking of you DUMPLING. It's hard for you trying to cope when you feel so down yourself. My thoughts too are with CSARINA's friend and family. Their lives have been turned upside down and will never be the same again. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Feb 18, 7:56 AM
    • 3,466 Posts
    • 42,500 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:56 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:56 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Dumpling hugs for you nd anyone else in need. Csarina, such sad news.

We have a lovely sunny day today which is nice as we have visitors today, the boat had a thorough bottoming yesterday ready for the visit. The multi fuel stove is lovely but makes everywhere very dusty.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    Good morning all, it's fine, sunny, and windy here, but I don't know about the temperature. Don't suppose it's up in the 20'S.

I'm late this morning, I seem to have been awake for a good part of the night.
    Sorry you're feeling down Dumpling - I hope you'll feel better soon, and that your week ahead is not too fraught.
    HH, hope you get out for your walk, I know I get a bit stir crazy if I'm in for a couple of days.

i bought a half leg of lamb yesterday, so that will be our evening meal.

Have a good day everyone, hope Lainey and TA pick up a bit, and anyone else who is not 100%

Take care folks.
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 11th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    Could I join you all please? I have read this thread for the last year or so. I was widowed very suddenly 18 months ago and am feeling in need of some "virtual" friends. Hoping to downsize and move locally this year to be nearer shops, buses etc.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    • 15,833 Posts
    • 67,599 Thanks
    Could I join you all please? I have read this thread for the last year or so. I was widowed very suddenly 18 months ago and am feeling in need of some "virtual" friends. Hoping to downsize and move locally this year to be nearer shops, buses etc.
    Originally posted by poppy811
    Pleased to meet you Poppy...glad to have you aboard.

Morning all,

Slept well last night. No wake up calls from the hounds or my bladder. Grump has a few jobs to do in the house today. The house is in a disorderly state but trying to tidy and clean it is a bit like peeing in the can wait.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Elona
    • By Elona 11th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks

Welcome to the thread and good luck with the downsizing.

Thanks for starting us off and hope the black dog trots off soon.

DDs and sil are popping in at some time today so just about to get changed and pop down to the shop for rolls and salad to stretch out the soup and cottage pie I made yesterday.

Tomorrow is U3A old movies afternoon so will get the bus in to York for that. Still embarrassed that I went last week by mistake as my old e mail had vanished and I had to construct a new one.

Thoughts are with the family at this awful time.

Hugs to all.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 12,405 Posts
    • 38,580 Thanks

Brightening up quite nicely here now.

Big challenge today to declutter upstairs and there's lots to do. Its all part of my mission to blitz the house before my op and make sure I can find what I need to find easily and I can actually see what I have. I nearly bought some loose jogging pants yesterday on the Matalan website but they didn't have my size....First venture into my wardrobe this morning and I find the exact same ones I nearly ordered that i had forgotten about plan is to fill at least a couple of bags for the charity pick up tomorrow

Food today...i had a boiled egg and toast first thing not sure Ill bother with lunch I'll see how hungry I am then.... its left over Christmas turkey, roast spuds, sprouts and cabbage.No cooking allowed today so its all about the declutter

Welcome poppy i guess decluttering ready for the downsizing will be happening for you too.

Right Im going in wish me luck
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 6,603 Posts
    • 91,812 Thanks
    Morning all

Not sure if I posted yesterday or not the day seemed to fly by, we had the log man here first thing which OH unloaded and stacked into the log shed while I went to Aldi and did the shopping.

Came home put the shopping away and OH lit the fire, he took the dog out for a walk and I watched a film and inspected the inside of my eyelids

Dinner last night was a prawn linguini which was delicious tonight I am going to make chicken kiev and have with herby new pots and asparagus.

Beds have been stripped and are in the wm will hang them out later as its a cracking day here with the sun shining although its still very cold.

Will take little madam up to the beach later which she simply loves she runs around with such joy when we get there and rolls round and round in the sand and rubs herself on her back in it, she finishes up like a sand monster

I too had to change my password Friday, first time since I joined, luckily on the third attempt I remembered it otherwise I would have had to start over !

Csarina I am so sorry about your friends news xx

Have good days all xxx
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 18,726 Thanks
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Thank you to all of you for thinking of my quilting friend and her family. One does not expect a child to die before the parents, and for her parents at 58, having to take on the care of their 3 grandchildren must be very hard.

OH had me awake at 2am with his headache, he had been dreaming, he woke me fidgeting, It was 4.30 ish before I got back to sleep, so an extra lie in this morning. I have given him one of the new tablets, I had been holding off because of the side effects, but he was so miserable I gave in.

Its a bright morning, hoping to get him out for a walk shortly, just a circular walk down the main road and back through the jetty and home.

Pork for supper tonight, I bought pork steak as OH is being so fussy, will do roast spuds and butternut squash with it. We have scotch broth for lunch time with some toast.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 31,016 Thanks
    Cold, windy and sunny here today. OH seems to have a head cold, so have started nursemaid duties by administering hot horlicks, now just need to keep him from being under my feet all day bless him.

Hopefully I will do the cooking that I didn't feel up to yesterday, and have my injections to do later I have early appointments at dentist and then doctors tomorrow so had better wash and style my hair today, I am not good at early starts

I hope the poorlies are feeling better soon and much as I adore black dogs of the four legged variety, Dumpling, I hope that your "black dog" clears off very soon. You are wonderful the way you and Steve hold your family and each other together.
    Last edited by maddiemay; 11-02-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 17,270 Thanks
    Morning all, I am late because I am being busy and productive.

Csarina2 I have just read about your friend's daughter, how very sad, such a dreadful thing for the whole family.

Poppy hello and welcome!

I have a non cooking day, with DS away, we are having meals that he doesn't like and OH has made a cottage pie. We did actually have something that he likes yesterday, OH did that too.

So far, since I was up at 3, I have knitted most of a baby cardigan, watched a film on Netfl*x at the same time, tidied and hoovered and am cleaning the cooker so I had better get back to it, might be back later, friend is calling in early afternoon and she's been away so lots of catching up to do.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 6,184 Posts
    • 38,334 Thanks
    Afternoon all.

Dumpling - you're a wonder! I hope you can fight off your black dog soon.

Poppy - welcome.

I've been enjoying sitting watching the four seasons happening outside my window. Bright sunshine, rain showers, snow falls, high winds, blue skies, grey skies, no skies visible, snow lying, snow melting, no snow at all - it's fascinating!

The living room light has been off and on so much I can't keep up. My day of 'me' is good. Fire is lit, sausages cooked, tea drunk and now I'm going to finish off a book I've been reading for far too long.

I hope everyone is warm and snug, getting better or well.

Happy Sunday.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 8,659 Thanks
    Afternoon all.
    Had a reasonable sleep, albeit sitting up in bed ! Still coughing ( ) but feeling a bit more me IYSWIM.
    Rang Dad last night and he's got a flare up of his arthritis, so no cooking a roast lunch. I did offer the services of Mr Fix It if he needed anything, shopping etc but he said he was ok, just not coming over today. So we will have a snack for lunch and I found some faggots and peas in the freezer, that's tea sorted .
    Mr Fix It has been ranting this morning so I sent him to cool off in the shower, bl00dy medication .
    I'm having a general tidy round today as the window man is coming in the morning to do a survey. I have done the downstairs and will do upstairs after lunch.
    Well that's Sunday sorted all ready . The time just seems to be flying by. Roll on Spring .
    Dumpling so sorry that you are down. It's understandable as you have a lot of different balls in the air IYSWIM. Life can't be easy for you at the moment, so perhaps this week when the girls are off, things will be peaceful and trouble free. I hope so and I'm sending your family many hugs and virtual support.
    Poppy Hi Nice to meet you.
    Maddiemay Hope your OH gets over the head cold soon.
    Enjoy the rest of Sunday everyone. Hug bucket at the ready .
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,758Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter