Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joiy
    • By Joiy 11th Feb 18, 3:46 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joiy
    Signed car Contract but did not pay deposit yet
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:46 AM
    Signed car Contract but did not pay deposit yet 11th Feb 18 at 3:46 AM
    Hello,
    Signed a car new vehicle order BUT did not pay the deposit yet...I've changed my mind, can I cancel?

I am in the market for a new car Yaris hybrid. I had an appointment with dealership 1 who quoted me a price of £18445 on a 0%APR on PCP. I said, I'll think about it and wondered if we can negotiate the price and the salesman said he'll speak to his boss and call the next day.
    Did some research and found a site carwow in which other dealers gave me different offers on the same car.
    Dealership 2 offered me a deal for £16290....Had a conversation with the salesman and deal was good to me. Other dealers offered between £15995 and £17212 (both rather far from me-so not considering them).

Dealership 1 calls and said they can take off £250, I said I got a better deal than that. He asked what it was and I told him £16290 he said he'll get back to me. Called back later and said they can match the offer £16290. I said what was this price offering me exactly? I booked an appointment to meet with him on Saturday to hear what the offer was.

He showed me what the price was and I kept seeing £17040 but he explained it reduces to £16290 which is what I'll be paying. I was not impressed and said other dealer offered something better. I asked what HE was offering but never seemed to be good.

We carried on the order process as he kept saying it's my word that the other dealer offered that price....I felt he was insinuating I was lying and that irritated me. But carried on the order process nonetheless.

He got to the GAP and tyre insurance, SMART protect, stage and I was not interested but he explained them to me telling me why I should get them and told me the cost. I did say I am not keen on them. We carried on, I signed the papers.

I did NOT pay the deposit and said I would do it when I got home as I could not remember my pin to my bank card. He said, he'll need to see it on Monday.
    I was not impressed with his attitude and I was his last client of the day. I was not sure what I was actually signing and was not comfortable making payment right then and there.

When I got home and looked through the paper work, I saw the price was £17040 I would pay- I calculated it and the total was £17040. I wondered why that was, he had explained removing £750 so it should be 16290.
    I researched GAP insurance and based on MSE article, my understanding is that the salesman are not allowed to sell it at the same time as you buy a car. Did I miss understand that?

Based on these TWO reasons (....well and others), I no longer want to carry on with this dealer. What can I do? Can I back off now?....I signed the contract but did not pay a deposit

I appreciate your suggestions and advice
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    • 9,247 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    Contact the dealer and say you have changed your mind. Do not entertain any further discussion with them.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 11th Feb 18, 5:42 AM
    • 13,391 Posts
    • 8,497 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:42 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:42 AM
    Where did you read that about gap insurance? Doesnt sound right to me.

Problem here is you signed paperwork, you never ever sign documents unless you want to committ or at least know what your signing. And you definately dont sign paperwork you know is incorrect.

In theory youve entered in to a contract and could be liable for damages now. Realistically though phone him and tell him you dont want the car and going elsewhere, they are highly unlikely to pursue a claim against you.
    If they ask why bring up the fact the paperwork is wrong / the salesman is trying to pull a fast one by the looks of it.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 3,292 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    I suggest you ring first thing today.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 10,529 Posts
    • 7,423 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    No reason to pull out of the whole deal just ring them and tell them you don't want the GAP insurance. The rules for GAP are that the dealership should give you 2 clear days between giving you what is referred to as the prescribed information, ie key facts, regarding your GAP policy and concluding the contract. At this stage you are nowhere near concluding the contract so simply cancel it.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    Why not save your self about £8 - 10k and buy somthing like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-YARIS-HYBRID-1-5-VVT-I-T4-5DR-2013-0-ROAD-TAX-36-820-MILES/192445130397?hash=item2cce9fa69d:g:ebEAAOSwi8xaTRO c

and the miles are not high for a jap car, you have got ask your self if you was to save 10k not earn but to save how many months/years will it take you, money = your time and your effort so spend wisely

assuming you are buying a hybrid to save on running costs, you could make even bigger saving by buying second hand but its your money

thought id give your another way of looking at things
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • Joiy
    • By Joiy 12th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joiy
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    Thank you
    • 12th Feb 18, 11:35 AM
    Thank you very much for your suggestions and advice.

I did email the sales person and also called to cancel the order. Received a call back....understandably disappointed and he did try to sale me the car. I declined the offer.

I have chosen to go with my initial plan, which was to pay for a good used car with ideally low millage- as long as it get me to my destination comfortably I am happy.
    Financing is NOT for me.

Thank you again for your advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,321Posts Today

7,702Users online

Martin's Twitter