Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yummymummy6
    • By Yummymummy6 11th Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Yummymummy6
    Help with new baby claim
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    Help with new baby claim 11th Feb 18 at 1:25 AM
    Hi, I am on ESA (support) and claim CTC for my 4 children.
    My 17 year old daughter who lives with me is still in education and is 34 weeks pregnant.
    I receive CTC and CB for her and she is staying at College and intends to do so after my grandson is born.
    We have just received the sure start maternity grant.
    However I am unsure as to how this will work when baby arrives.
    I have thought that there can only be 3 options once baby arrives and they are as follows....
    1. My CTC and CB continues for her and the baby is added to my claim so I receive the CTC and CB for both?
    2. I still get CTC and CB for her but she is able to claim for the baby in her own right.
    3. I will no longer receive anything for her and she will have to claim everything herself?

If number 3 is the correct scenario, can she claim esa/js or universal credit for herself even though she is still in education?

In the nicest possible way, Please do not judge me, I suffer from MS and lupus so I receive the relevant benefits I am entitled to by law. I did not choose to be sick or claim benefits but I want my daughter to be able to claim the correct benefits whilst she studies to give her child a decent future. I am just not sure how to go about it, so any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you!
Page 1
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 11th Feb 18, 2:20 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:20 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:20 AM
    It would be scenario 3. You can't claim child tax credits for someone who gets tax credits in their own right.

If she's a lone parent she can should be able to claim JSA.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Feb 18, 6:02 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:02 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:02 AM
    It would be scenario 3. You can't claim child tax credits for someone who gets tax credits in their own right.

Originally posted by Diamandis
    As she will have a child under 5 then she can claim Income Support.

Edit to add...if her area is a full Universal Credit area then it will be this and not legacy benefits like IS. Check here. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate
    Last edited by poppy12345; 11-02-2018 at 6:29 AM.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Feb 18, 7:23 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:23 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:23 AM

Originally posted by Diamandis
    It could also be scenario 1. She can claim for her child (until 20) and grandchild as long as her child remains in full time non advanced education.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    _shel
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    It could also be scenario 1. She can claim for her child (until 20) and grandchild as long as her child remains in full time non advanced education.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    But She already has 4 children on her claim? Thought new Children couldn’t be added?
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    But She already has 4 children on her claim? Thought new Children couldn’t be added?
    Originally posted by _shel
    A child (or young person) having a child is one of the exceptions.
    • WhenIam64
    • By WhenIam64 11th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    WhenIam64
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    A child (or young person) having a child is one of the exceptions.
    she is staying at College and intends to do so after my grandson is born
    Though "full time education" is a qualified one too. Presume the college course is is not at University (tertiary) level?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter