Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 11th Feb 18, 1:10 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 8Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    cavity wall insulation, keep or remove
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:10 AM
    cavity wall insulation, keep or remove 11th Feb 18 at 1:10 AM
    Survey picked up some damp issues but its an 1890 house with only part central heating. Meant to be completing next week. Surveyor suspects there is cavity wall insulation.
    Would you have it removed?
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 11th Feb 18, 1:35 AM
    • 4,520 Posts
    • 4,946 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:35 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:35 AM
    If CWI existed then I dont see how it would be possible to remove it, but unless the wall concerned was a later extension, the walls will not even have cavities as Victorian houses used solid walls.
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 11th Feb 18, 1:47 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:47 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:47 AM
    This one does and they all did in my town. I work on them all the time as a heating engineer
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Feb 18, 4:51 AM
    • 9,232 Posts
    • 4,534 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:51 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:51 AM
    This one does and they all did in my town. I work on them all the time as a heating engineer
    Originally posted by MikeEngTech
    Then you will know more about it than most of us?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 24,249 Posts
    • 90,838 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    Survey picked up some damp issues but its an 1890 house with only part central heating. Meant to be completing next week. Surveyor suspects there is cavity wall insulation.
    Would you have it removed?
    Originally posted by MikeEngTech
    I would wait and see how the house behaved when I was living in it. I would also need confirmation it was there, not mere suspicion!

People and houses interact, so something like condensation might never become an issue with one family, while with another, who live differently, it could be a problem.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,353Posts Today

8,080Users online

Martin's Twitter