Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jadebabe
    • By jadebabe 10th Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jadebabe
    ultrasound results
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    ultrasound results 10th Feb 18 at 11:24 PM
    Hi,i m normally more of a lurker on these boards , but i am worried sick about a letter i have had from the dr. i had an ultrasound on thursday morning due to extra long periods which have been going on for months, i was reffered for this last august so its been quite a long wait.
    they did not tell me much during the scan, so i asked and she said it seems essentially fine and i should make an appointment with my dr in a week to get the results.
    this morning i have had a letter from the surgery asking me to make an appointment at,, my earliest convenience.. to see the dr about my results. i know its a generated letter that they send out but they must have contacted my dr straight away for me to get the letter that fast, i,m now worried sick that its come through that quickly, as they say no news is good news.
    i,m worried that the sonographer lied to me , and didn,t want to tell me anything was wrong as i was very anxious at the time as i was bleeding so heavy i was literally flooding all over the place, i,m 52 and this has been going on for months , heavy bleeding and spotting continuously, and had to have iron tablets as i was anemic last august. the dr thought at the time it could be the perimenopause, but i,ve been googling and it keeps coming up with cancer.
    sorry this is so long ,but i wondered if anyone knows anything about if a letter comes back quickly if this means bad news, would the dr have rang me if it was serious, thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 11th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    The person doing the ultrasound will never tell you anything. The report must go to whoever requested it. Doctor or consultant. It is not just a get an ultrasound and the person doing it looks and knows what is happening, it is passed on to whoever checks and then does the report.

I have had phone calls from the surgery saying can I make an appointment as the doctor wants to see me about results, not just a letter. Now your Doctor will decide which treatment you need, perhaps just a D & C or go on tablets.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 11th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6,405 Posts
    • 11,564 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    The doctor could have got the report quickly as some areas now the reports are dictated and typed up by software rather than a secretary listening to the tape and typing it up. Try not to worry, phone your doctor and get booked in to see what's going on though
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 11th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 7,659 Posts
    • 27,192 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    My sister had an ultrasound towards the end of last year which was unexpectedly bad news, and yes she was phoned that evening and told. Which is really not how anyone should be given a cancer diagnosis.

I wouldn't read anything in to the speed with which you got the letter. Just phone on Monday and make an appointment. If they ask you to come straight in that day then it might indicate something serious but I imagine you will just be given a routine appointment and the outcome of the scan and any suggested treatment will be discussed.
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 11th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    I had an ultrasound a couple of years ago which found something significant which resulted in an operation. The person doing the ultrasound told me nothing, even though it would have been extremely obvious but I was phone called by my doctor as soon as she got the results. Just from my own experience, when things have been urgent, they phone call and get you an appointment almost immediately.

Good luck with your results!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    +1 for seriously bad news is usually phoned through.
    A letter is reassuring, relatively.

Keep on with the iron - I recommend the German discounters' dark chocolate, by the slab, as well as the tablets!
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 15th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    BucksLady
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    Dr Google runs a very scary clinic - so best not to visit. Your symptoms are indicative of a number of problems, many of which are benign. It's the most natural thing in the world 'to assume the worst' - we all do it. But by presenting to your GP and then the hospital, you have done the right thing and whatever the scenario, treatment can begin to help you. Stay positive and strong. I wish you well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

2,172Users online

Martin's Twitter