Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 10th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,619Posts
    • 646Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    Tenancy inspection query
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    Tenancy inspection query 10th Feb 18 at 9:56 PM
    I usually have an inspection by the EA every 6 months.

The LL has recently changed the EA that he uses. The old EA did an inspection in mid-Jan and the new EA wants to come in mid-Feb to do their own inspection.

They have described this as a "mid-term" inspection.

1) Is two inspections in two months too much - can I refuse and ask them to come at the next six monthly interval?

2) They have just said which day they will come on and stated "they cannot provide an appointment time". The old EA would give a timeframe (i.e. between 10 and 1) and if you called them would happily tell you a specific time. I know they say they can let themselves in, but if I wanted to be here it seems unreasonable to expect me to wait around all day for them?

I am on a periodic tenancy as the AST has expired. The contract (which was done by the old EA) says they can enter the property for inspection with 24 hours notice - it doesn't say anything about how often.
Page 1
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    You won't need to clean the house top to bottom leaving it spotless.

They are just checking for no serious damage e.g. ongping leaks not reported.
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 10th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    The new agent will not have access to the previous agents inspection reports. They want to know if any repairs are required.

Ask them if they can narrow down the time frame.

You don't need to be present, you might want to, but you don't need to be.
    • Annabee
    • By Annabee 11th Feb 18, 4:10 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Annabee
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:10 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:10 AM
    Can you not contact them and explain that you only had an inspection in January, you would appreciate it if they could hold off for a month or two. I can sort of understand that they want to do their own inspection, but if you explain your situation they might be prepared to be a bit flexible? Also you can ask them how often they intend to inspect after that, more frequently than six monthly is excessive, IMO.

You are perfectly entitled to be present at the inspection, many people are not happy with letting agents just letting themselves in. So if this is how you feel, you need to tell them and insist that they are a bit more specific with the time. 'We cannot' is just rubbish - at least they could say am or pm!
    Last edited by Annabee; 11-02-2018 at 4:12 AM.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 11th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    martindow
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    Are there any things that need repairing? Inspections can be a two way process and are an opportunity for you to bring these up verbally and then in a letter following up.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 10:59 AM

2) They have just said which day they will come on and stated "they cannot provide an appointment time". The old EA would give a timeframe (i.e. between 10 and 1) and if you called them would happily tell you a specific time. I know they say they can let themselves in, but if I wanted to be here it seems unreasonable to expect me to wait around all day for them?
    Originally posted by MoneySavingUser
    It is unreasonable to expect you to be there all day for their convenience. I wouldn't allow anyone to let themselves in. Can you change the lock?
    Give them a date and time you will be there that suits you, before 12, after 3? Regular inspections are intrusive enough without expecting tenants to accommodate whatever the agent wants.
    They're getting paid to do their job, you're not getting paid to wait for them.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 43,177 Posts
    • 50,746 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    Dear Mr Letting Agent,

Thank you for letting me know of your planned inspection.

You may not be aware, but the property was inspected by your predesessors, xyz agency, on Xth January, less than a month ago.

I am sure your client, my landlord, will have a copy of this inspection report which he could forward you for your records. This would make a further inspection unecessary at this time. I will, of course, be happy to facilitate access for a follow-up inspection in/around July 2018.

Please confirm for my informaation that the current planned inspection has been cancelled.

Yours sincerely

MSU

Send two copes of this letter, one addressed to the agent, the other addressd to the landlord at the addres for serving notices (even if the address is the same).

If you don't get a response, or the agent responds negatively, then I would

* change the lock (keep the old one to replace when you leave) and optionally also
    * write again

Further to my earlier letter, since you are insistant on a 2nd inspection this year, and in order to assist you, I shall be at home on x Feb between 9.00 AM and 10.00 AM (or whatever) to provide access. Please note that demands on my time mean that access outside this hour will not be possible.

Yours sincerely,

see
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAo7zSN-9o
    Last edited by G_M; 11-02-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 11th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 9,323 Posts
    • 12,402 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    As G_M says: But you may consider it is worth trying to have a good relationship with both landlord & agent, so maybe a little bit of compromise.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 43,177 Posts
    • 50,746 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    As G_M says: But you may consider it is worth trying to have a good relationship with both landlord & agent, so maybe a little bit of compromise.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Indeed.

You could jump straight to my 2nd letter....
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    It takes two to compromise. I expect the op will if the agent will.

• MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 11th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    Thanks everyone, I have gone with G_M's first email for now.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 43,177 Posts
    • 50,746 Thanks
    G_M
    Thanks everyone, I have gone with G_M's first email for now.
    I did not provide you with an email.

Send two copes of this letter, one addressed to the agent, the other addressd to the landlord at the addres for serving notices (even if the address is the same).
    • MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 12th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    Yes, you are correct, but thought to try email first as the inspection is on Wednesday and the agent had contacted me via email.

In terms of the Landlord's service address - the contract states that the address to serve notices on is the previous agent's address, presumably this is the new agent's address now? I haven't officially been informed of a change of notice address.

Also it says the address and email of the deposit holder is also the old agent's address and email....

The landlord's address in the actual contract has the wrong postcode, but I know the correct address.

The EA has come back to say that they don't trust the old agent and they shall require access.....time to try your second suggested wording.
    • MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 13th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    The EA has emailed today at 9pm. His opinion is:

- He says the law says it is very reasonable that he can do the inspection as early as possible whilst under the new arrangements;
    - He has refused to provide a specific time;
    - He has said the landlords will be with him too so there will be three people attending the inspection;

Is he now stepping over the line? Can I just tell him that I refuse?

On the basis that I have the right to be here when the inspection takes place it seems unfair that I am expected to potentially take the day off work and wait around for them?

The landlords will have had access to the previous report so not sure why they need to attend too? (There are no major issues with the property, just some minor repairs which the previous agent didn't do).
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 13th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Could you not work from home ?
    • Annabee
    • By Annabee 14th Feb 18, 5:00 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Annabee
    Oh dear, another arsehole of a letting agent. As it is tomorrow (well today now) you are a bit stuck, unless you are relatively happy for them to let themselves in this once. If not, is there anyway you can work from home, as a pp said, or even call in sick, saying you have an urgent matter to attend to at home. Then as soon as the letting agents office opens, you could keep ringing them asking them to confirm what time they will arrive. As he is meeting the landlords, he obviously must have some idea of the time himself he is just being bloody awkward and arrogant.

Put it to them that although you don't object to inspections (and have had several before with no problem), you prefer to be there, as is your right, and his attitude is very unprofessional. You do have to be careful though, as if you are on a rolling contract they can obviously give you two month's notice at any time.

I know it is a bit late now, but perhaps if you had phoned them soon after getting their first email, you might have been able to arrange a more suitable date and time. Hard to say though, as he definitely seems to be a stroppy one, and not very up in the law. The things we tenants have to put up with!

You could, I suppose, tell the agency that unless a specific time is supplied you refuse the inspection, then go to work if they won't. But you run the risk of them just coming anyway while you are out. This might be technically illegal, but in reality there is not much you can do, as the police won't be interested. But send them a very stiff letter saying that in future you want an agreed appointment for all inspections. To help you word the letter you could take legal advice, you may be able to get some if you have legal cover on your contents insurance, or if you are in a union they sometimes provide legal advice for their members. Or Shelter is another option.

I am not advocating you do this, but what I have done is change the locks so that my mind is at rest that my letting agents cannot ever just let themselves in. My letting agents are relatively reasonable though, and also I am at home a lot. I will change the locks back at the end of the tenancy.
    Last edited by Annabee; 14-02-2018 at 5:23 AM.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We just renewed our breakdown cover with the RAC. This includes a free legal helpline that included tenant/landlord law.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Is he now stepping over the line? Can I just tell him that I refuse?

On the basis that I have the right to be here when the inspection takes place it seems unfair that I am expected to potentially take the day off work and wait around for them?
    Can you be there for part of the day? Refuse access if you are not happy for them to let themselves in but offer a time you will be there, eg after 3. Do the landlords own numerous properties in the block which they are planning to inspect on the same day?

• Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 14th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 12,805 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Their attitude seems heavy-handed and unreasonable. I think two inspections per year is excessive for an uncomplicated tenant that's been there at least a year. When letting agents start talking about "the law" it's a fair bet they're reciting something they saw on an American legal drama repeated on ITVPleb.

I personally never wasted any annual leave on sitting in waiting for agents or their handymen; this is one of the few benefits of renting!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    Comms69
    change locks, go on with life.

LLs don't tend to evict paying tenants...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

978Posts Today

7,456Users online

Martin's Twitter