Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 10th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 4,369Posts
    • 5,652Thanks
    Bike sizing advice
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    Bike sizing advice 10th Feb 18 at 6:35 PM
    I took up cycling again due to terrible unfitness and its something I can do, nothing special, got up to a quick 10 mile blast most evenings after work.

I have a hybrid bike with 700c wheels and no suspension, around here we have lots of cycle pathways but they are pretty rough and my back and joints don't do well with the jarring, or the bike but its lovely routes away from traffic in lovely countryside.

I have kind of lost my mojo for it lately, I am thinking of changing my bike to a Mountain Bike style with full suspension and smaller wheels (my big wheeled bike isn't very manoeuvrable around the passageways!)

I am 5' 11" which according the the Halfords size guide is right between a 17" and 20" frame border, would you go bigger or smaller size? I am quite heavy too. Its not a style of bike I am very familiar with to date.

There is a mind boggling choice but I don't want to spend a huge amount for my level of careful usage.
    Last edited by sillygoose; 10-02-2018 at 6:48 PM.
Page 2
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 11th Mar 18, 1:22 AM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    I probably ought to try hire bikes, I know you can at Cannock. The fat bike is probably a luxury I don't need as I don't ride on sand and we don't get snow often enough.

The idea of a more flexible MTB that can do say + tyres for snow riding to work but can also do 30-50 for trail riding appeals.

I can afford to spend more than £1000 on a bike, the question is more whether a full suspension is really worth doing for light trails so try before buy!
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Trying hire bikes is definitely the best way to go even for bikes that appear similar on paper, can be quite different to ride.

It's not so much the fat bike is a luxury more it's quite a bit of drag if it's on surfaces that don't need the traction. I did used to ride the fat bike all year round including CX and endurance racing but it can be a frustrating ride in good conditions and I really only get the benefit by riding regularly through the winter in poor conditions.

I had no idea where to start with a mountain bike so I went with an ex-hire hardtail for £400, it was nothing fancy but the parts were all mostly Shimano Deore which were all good and I rode all year round on that bike.

I was going to say that helped me make my mind up about what bike to go for but several years later, I still haven't settled on what bike I want
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,637Posts Today

8,631Users online

Martin's Twitter