Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 10th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 4,360Posts
    • 5,620Thanks
    sillygoose
    Bike sizing advice
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    Bike sizing advice 10th Feb 18 at 6:35 PM
    I took up cycling again due to terrible unfitness and its something I can do, nothing special, got up to a quick 10 mile blast most evenings after work.

I have a hybrid bike with 700c wheels and no suspension, around here we have lots of cycle pathways but they are pretty rough and my back and joints don't do well with the jarring, or the bike but its lovely routes away from traffic in lovely countryside.

I have kind of lost my mojo for it lately, I am thinking of changing my bike to a Mountain Bike style with full suspension and smaller wheels (my big wheeled bike isn't very manoeuvrable around the passageways!)

I am 5' 11" which according the the Halfords size guide is right between a 17" and 20" frame border, would you go bigger or smaller size? I am quite heavy too. Its not a style of bike I am very familiar with to date.

There is a mind boggling choice but I don't want to spend a huge amount for my level of careful usage.
    Last edited by sillygoose; 10-02-2018 at 6:48 PM.
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 6,643 Posts
    • 5,402 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    Try a suspension seat post and investigate fitting suspension forks. Full suspension bikes are hard work and good suspension is expensive.

I have kind of lost my mojo for it lately
    Me too. getting cold, wet and muddy saps mojo's.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-02-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 10th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 5,620 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    Try a suspension seat post and investigate fitting suspension forks. Full suspension bikes are hard work and good suspension is expensive.

Me too. getting cold, wet and muddy saps mojo's.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I already have a suspension post which is the only reason its been tolerable to be honest. Whilst that helps me, and I really try to avoid bumps, but with no give in the rear I have had to upgrade the rear axle twice.

I am curious in what way are full suspension bikes hard work? you mean the extra weight or something else?

Thanks!

(and yes cold and wet, I didn't mind at first and you do warm up, its just that first mile of freezing air in your lungs.. brrrr!)
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 7,895 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    I am curious in what way are full suspension bikes hard work? you mean the extra weight or something else?
    Originally posted by sillygoose
    The inefficiency. Some of the energy you generate is used by the rear suspension, so it's more effort to propel the bike forwards. And cheap rear-suspension is quite heavy too.

The general rule-of-thumb that I've heard oft repeated is that, unless you're spending £1000 or more, you'd be much better off avoiding rear suspension. You really don't need it unless you're into downhill racing, anyway.

What width of tyres do you currently have on your 700c bike? I think the wider tyres of a mountain bike would probably give more cushioning to your ride and let you run them at a lower pressure...
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Feb 18, 9:13 PM
    • 6,643 Posts
    • 5,402 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:13 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:13 PM
    I've done about 14,000 miles on a hard tail mountain bike and only had about 4 rear wheel spokes break in that time. My neighbour who has a cheap full suspension bike had the rear wheel bearing collapse after very few miles. The difference being I stand up for the bumps and he stays seated. Try standing on the pedals over the bumps. It puts less strain on you and the bike.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 11,921 Posts
    • 8,076 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    In order to get the sizing right, go to a decent bike shop and try out a few, and take their advice (one you are confident that the person knows what they are talking about). This is one thing that you really cannot do on-line.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,229Posts Today

7,850Users online

Martin's Twitter