Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 10th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 7,370Posts
    • 64,980Thanks
    mimi1234
    Missing Item - eBay
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    Missing Item - eBay 10th Feb 18 at 5:38 PM
    So I will try and keep this brief as I know I do rattle on a bit sometimes.

Had 6 tubes of face cream, put them on eBay as buy it now as a set of 3 twice. Each tube weighs roughly 35g.

Sold 3 on 08/02/2018 and posted that day. Sent signed for large letter in a bubble wrap envelope and weight was 121g. Items received next day and positive feedback left.

Sold 3 on 09/02/2018 and again posted that day. Sent signed for large letter in a bubble wrap envelope and weight was 120g. Message from buyer today saying only 2 tubes received instead of 3 and can I refund her immediately or send her another one.

I replied back with an apology and asked if the large letter was damaged at all to which she said no and to just refund her for the 3rd item which was not received.

I know I sent 3 in each large letter. My nephew did the packing with me and he was counting them out - "1 pink tube, 2 pink tube, 3 pink tube".

I've searched the whole house and can't find the tube. I know I sent them all. Had I have only sent 2 the second time I posted out, the weight would have been well under 100g.

What do I do now? I don't refund her do I or do I?
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    Given ebay's habit of siding with the buyer, accept that you will have to refund for the missing tube (even though you are certain it wasn't!) and don't let it become a saga. You can't prove you sent it and she doesn't have to prove you didn't. Ask her to open a case rather than refunding direct.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 10th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 4,532 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    I would ask them to open a return for not as described. Ask them to return the two. They may keep the missing one but at least you will hopefully get two back. You can always contact EBay if there is any problems with what they return and see what they say. If they have to open a return and return the items, they may not bother. Especially if they have done it before.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 10th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    mimi1234
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    Thanks for the information. That's what I'll do.

The buyer has 0 feedback and only joined eBay a few days ago.

Oh well.

Thanks for your help.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    I would ask them to open a return for not as described. Ask them to return the two. They may keep the missing one but at least you will hopefully get two back.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Why? OK, outside chance the buyer won't do anything if asked to return - but if they are returned, OP would have to pay postage on the return and would then have to resell. Giving a refund for the one alleged to be missing means they are safely sold and she'll have saved on return postage.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 11th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    • 6,936 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    Why? OK, outside chance the buyer won't do anything if asked to return - but if they are returned, OP would have to pay postage on the return and would then have to resell. Giving a refund for the one alleged to be missing means they are safely sold and she'll have saved on return postage.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    On principle I would get them to open a case even if it meant paying the return postage.

The fact that the package weighed almost the same shows that three items were sent.

This is a 0 feedback new buyer and if they get away with this then that up is another scammer up and running.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    • 59,881 Posts
    • 42,512 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    On principle I would get them to open a case even if it meant paying the return postage.

The fact that the package weighed almost the same shows that three items were sent.

This is a 0 feedback new buyer and if they get away with this then that up is another scammer up and running.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    I think I'd do the same, if I was sure I was being scammed then I would rather lose return postage than allow the buyer to think they can get away with this .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 11th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Lisbon
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    Isn't that known as cutting off your nose....and yes, I can see exactly why one would! But if you take the emotion out of it, opening a case but not asking for a return might be a more sensible approach.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Dox
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    I think I'd do the same, if I was sure I was being scammed then I would rather lose return postage than allow the buyer to think they can get away with this .
    Originally posted by soolin
    But they will 'get away with it' whether they return at the seller's expense and she refunds in full, or the seller refunds for one allegedly missing tube. Either way the seller will lose out - it's a case of limiting the loss, not huffing and puffing about what I hope was a not-too-expensive item. As for 'the principle of the thing' - many people shoot themselves in the foot for things which aren't worth getting out the gun for!

Instead of getting carried away on a wave of justifiable outrage, take the route most favourable to the unlucky seller - and block/report to ebay. Just a thought, though - if OP if so sure it was sent, why scour the house looking for it?
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 11th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 6,936 Posts
    • 30,768 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    But they will 'get away with it' whether they return at the seller's expense and she refunds in full, or the seller refunds for one allegedly missing tube. Either way the seller will lose out - it's a case of limiting the loss, not huffing and puffing about what I hope was a not-too-expensive item. As for 'the principle of the thing' - many people shoot themselves in the foot for things which aren't worth getting out the gun for!

Instead of getting carried away on a wave of justifiable outrage, take the route most favourable to the unlucky seller - and block/report to ebay. Just a thought, though - if OP if so sure it was sent, why scour the house looking for it?
    Originally posted by Dox

The op states that the weight was almost identical to the first package so it must have contained the same items

If the buyer is sure there was something missing, they shouldn't have a problem opening a case. I would rather pay for the return postage than let a new O feedback buyer see how easy it is to get free goods on eBay.
    Last edited by charlies_mum; 11-02-2018 at 1:08 PM.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 11th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Originally posted by Dox
    Thanks for all your replies.

Dox I checked because the buyer was so adamant only two were sent I had a good look round just to be sure.

Then I looked at both receipts and saw the same weights save 1g.

I've got two tubes of the night cream which I am using and are the same size. The two tubes and the bubble wrap envelope came to just over 83g.

Anyway Miss Marple to the side. I've told her to open a case and send the lot back. Let's see what happens. Thanks for your advice folks.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 11th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Also can I just ask. How can you prove how many items you sent? Do you have to take selfies whilst packing showing date and time?

I always thought sending signed for would be safer!
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Dox
    Also can I just ask. How can you prove how many items you sent? Do you have to take selfies whilst packing showing date and time?
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    Simple (albeit unhelpful answer) is that you can't. Showing an item in the process of being packed and/or weighed after packing cuts no ice with ebay.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 11th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Simple (albeit unhelpful answer) is that you can't. Showing an item in the process of being packed and/or weighed after packing cuts no ice with ebay.
    Originally posted by Dox
    Scammers delight then. Wow.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Feb 18, 2:48 PM
    • 11,870 Posts
    • 8,057 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

I always thought sending signed for would be safer!
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    You can't, but I find this helps:

1. Message to say thanks for purchase of x items and that I confirm x will be sent in the same package.
    2. Packing slip with name and quantity ticked, dated and checked with a signature stuffed in the parcel.

My first response to anyone claiming to be short packaged would be to bear with me whilst the weights are checked. Then I would come back with the weight and confirm the quantities sent.

Obviously this won't deter the scammers intent on getting a freebie but sometimes the message /packing slip makes them think twice!
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th Feb 18, 4:35 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Dox
    I would rather pay for the return postage than let a new O feedback buyer see how easy it is to get free goods on eBay.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    But they still get free goods - the 'missing' tube. Asking for the other 2 tubes to be returned means the seller has the cost of arranging a return + the hassle of reselling. Much better to get the buyer to open a case and then OP can cut her losses by giving a partial refund as the buyer has requested, and write it down to experience. Don't let yourself get carried away on a tide of indignation and outrage!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 59,881 Posts
    • 42,512 Thanks
    soolin
    But they still get free goods - the 'missing' tube. Asking for the other 2 tubes to be returned means the seller has the cost of arranging a return + the hassle of reselling. Much better to get the buyer to open a case and then OP can cut her losses by giving a partial refund as the buyer has requested, and write it down to experience. Don't let yourself get carried away on a tide of indignation and outrage!
    Originally posted by Dox
    I think you are misunderstanding the depth of feeling that sellers have about being scammed . These scammers expect buyers to just roll over and refund without buyers having to waste a single minute or put any effort into getting that refund. If everybody just laid back and said 'please scam me' they will just continue.

Personally I am happy to call their bluff, I make it clear that I will refund on return, as is my legal responsibility , but that I want the items and my original packaging back so I can take this up with my business manager at RM as it seems that someone has been able to intercept the parcel and remove an item. I explain that I will be refunding, but may need their co operation with RM when this gets investigated as I am concerned that their post might be at risk.

I had one late last year, nearly the same, something was apparently not included in packaging when I knew it was, they kept trying for a refund without a case as they didn't want to inconvenience me, even said that where they had had issues before those sellers just refunded without inconveniencing them at all. I held firm, explained I wanted both the items and packaging back and via a case I would send a returns label, after unsuccessfully trying to persuade me to issue a partial refund 'like other sellers' it was all dropped, and now 3 months later I've not heard another thing.

OP, inconvenience them, make them trundle to the PO for the return and only refund in full when the other two items and your packaging is returned.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 11th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 4,532 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Agree with the above. The buyer is hoping the OP will just refund for the missing one with no fuss in order to avoid losing the whole sale. The buyer then gets a 33% discount for very little effort. Make them return and suddenly they are losing the two items they have brought, they have to go to the post office, there is a record of what they have done. They may well not bother. If they do then at least you have some of your items back from a dodgy buyer.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 11th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 64,980 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Soolin you are good, as is everyone else.

I've used some of your big words and phrases and stated I want a full investigation so she will have to return everything for a refund and that she will have to open a case.

It's up to her what she does next.

As you said, she was very keen on asking for a partial refund in her very first message so that made me a bit wary. Hopefully telling her to open a case will make her panic.

Thanks for your help folks.
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 11th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    Was the face cream expensive?

A return label will cost you a further £3.05 and you have no idea what you are going to get back.

I'd chalk it down as a loss and block the buyer. Scammers will always be able to scam.

At the moment you have been scammed out of a bottle of face cream, you could end up being scammed out of 3 on top of all the postage costs you are going to end up losing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,994Posts Today

9,836Users online

Martin's Twitter