Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 10th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 993Posts
    • 651Thanks
    steve1500
    0 WOW
    Jamacia, Barbados or Bahamas
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    0 WOW
    Jamacia, Barbados or Bahamas 10th Feb 18 at 5:24 PM
    Planning on going to one of them next year,does anyone have any tips etc

Going for 8 or 9 days
    Last edited by steve1500; 10-02-2018 at 5:26 PM.
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
Page 1
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 10th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 8,587 Thanks
    wondercollie
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    Go big or go home. Spend the money and go to Sandals.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 8,075 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    Having spent 30 minutes on Jamaican soil I would never consider a holiday there.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 11,908 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    Sandals is fine if you are going without kids, you don't say who you are - family, oldies, youngies......when are you planning on going and do you have a budget. They are VERY different places. What do you like doing?
    • joebob
    • By joebob 11th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    joebob
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    Barbados go the boatyard beach excellent
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 11th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Sportacus
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    I would go to Jamaica, enjoy the reggae and rum! Don't stay in a resort (they're the same the world over), stay in normal hotels and hostels in different parts of the island and absorb the local culture.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 11th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 8,587 Thanks
    wondercollie
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    I would go to Jamaica, enjoy the reggae and rum! Don't stay in a resort (they're the same the world over), stay in normal hotels and hostels in different parts of the island and absorb the local culture.
    Originally posted by Sportacus

Last time I checked, my government was telling people to only go to resorts due to the latest crime epidemic.

We were in Jamaica about three years ago and were pretty much the only tourists on the streets of Ochoa Rios. Some friendly locals kept trying to sell the husband locally produced smoking materials when he asked for directions to a tabaconist
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 11th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    We will be coming from Orlando with our 11 year old daughter - recovery time!!
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 11,908 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    Is there a reason you have restricted yourself to those three destinations. There are a plethora of amazing places in the Caribbean, not least; St Lucia, Antigua, Grenada, Turks & Caicos.

It really depends on budget and what you want to do. If you want to laze on a beach all day and do nothing then it probably won't matter where you go. For history and beaches I would take Grenada over any of them. Antigua is our favourite (we have a house there) and St Lucia is stunning for scenery. Barbados is more expensive for the same as some of the other islands offer and some of the beaches aren't nearly as lovely as they were some years ago.

If you just want recovery time after the parks of Orlando, there are some terrific resorts on the coast of Florida, from Clearwater down to the Keys. It will save you the flight and you still feel like you're in the tropics.

You haven't said what time of year - if it's during school holidays then be mindful that the summer hols will most likely fall during the hurricane season.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 12th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    steve1500
    Summer Hols, restricted to these three, as LGW for coming back is a non starter.

Will be flying with Virgin as have the miles

Wife wants the Carribean
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 11,908 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Summer Hols, restricted to these three, as LGW for coming back is a non starter.

Will be flying with Virgin as have the miles

Wife wants the Carribean
    Originally posted by steve1500
    Not sure why you are restricted to those three. You don't seem very forthcoming in answers.... makes it difficult to help.

My last input will be that you need to look at the weather in the Caribbean (double b single r) during the summer holidays, it is within hurricane season. I would stick to south eastern islands for hopefully best weather during those times.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 13th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Barbados every time.
    Safest of the three.
    The West Coast is great.
    This place is all-inclusive and quite reasonable.
    www.theclubbarbados.com
    I'd also consider Antigua.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 13th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 8,494 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Barbados every time.
    Safest of the three.
    The West Coast is great.
    This place is all-inclusive and quite reasonable.
    www.theclubbarbados.com
    I'd also consider Antigua.
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    I agree with you , up to where you say All Inclusive , there is no need to go all inclusive in Barbados , we spent new year in a basic apartment right on Paynes Beach , eating out is good ( can be pricely ) getting around the island is easy and cheap . Its a very safe very friendly island
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Sandals is fine if you are going without kids
    They have a separate brand called Beaches if you do go with children.

I'd prefer Barbados to Jamaica any day of the week. It's safer. Sandals Negril was fine but they shivered if you wanted to leave the premises!
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 13th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    I agree with you , up to where you say All Inclusive , there is no need to go all inclusive in Barbados , we spent new year in a basic apartment right on Paynes Beach , eating out is good ( can be pricely ) getting around the island is easy and cheap . Its a very safe very friendly island
    Originally posted by pelirocco
    I agree.
    I rarely do A1 although we had such a great deal on this place ( £1,000 for 10 nights,air fares and USD$500 of restaurant vouchers included it was hard to turn down.)
    It is also next door to Sandy Lane and shares the same beach.
    Sadly a lot of the Caribbean has gone down the A1 route since I first started going there 40 years ago.Crime or at any rate the perceived threat of crime has put a lot of people off going out at night.
    If the OP could time his holiday when there's a meeting on at the Garrison Savannah race track I would also recommend that.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 13th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    steve1500
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reason for the three islands is the flight back to Manchester.

Realistically can only be summer hols as two centre Orlando & Carribean
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 14th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    movilogo
    Look at all the places on YouTube and then decide.

Your taste could be different from other people. So you are the best one to judge your needs.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • Alvinism
    • By Alvinism 14th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Alvinism
    Just back from Sandals Barbados and would highly recommend. The new Sandals Royal Barbados has been completed right next door to the pre-existing resort and guests can use both resorts, so you get two for the price of one. If you want to see round the island, I would recommending taking one with Ricardo from Sun Tours who will drive you round the island to places you wouldn't have known existed, and he serves you the best rum punch you ever tasted along the way!
    • chancesare
    • By chancesare 14th Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    chancesare
    Just back from Sandals Barbados and would highly recommend.
    Originally posted by Alvinism
    Did you read the remit?

We will be coming from Orlando with our 11 year old daughter - recovery time!!
    Originally posted by steve1500
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 14th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 8,494 Thanks
    pelirocco
    I agree.
    I rarely do A1 although we had such a great deal on this place ( £1,000 for 10 nights,air fares and USD$500 of restaurant vouchers included it was hard to turn down.)
    It is also next door to Sandy Lane and shares the same beach.
    Sadly a lot of the Caribbean has gone down the A1 route since I first started going there 40 years ago.Crime or at any rate the perceived threat of crime has put a lot of people off going out at night.
    If the OP could time his holiday when there's a meeting on at the Garrison Savannah race track I would also recommend that.
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian

that was a good deal , we had air miles flights and accomodation was £1100 , but that was over new year , I think mango Bay was something like £9k , no brainer really . Sandy Bay was a five minute stroll away , and it made me laugh that i shared the same view and beach for a fraction of the price . We met laods of people who go to Barbados every year for as chaep as possible . We also met a few people who stayed in ' naice' places and looked dismayed that the riff raff holiday there too lol
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter