Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 10th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 159Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Hello, just to say
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    Hello, just to say 10th Feb 18 at 4:04 PM
    I'm not a newbie at all! I've been on the Forum for 10 years, posting mostly here, as jackyann. I got a message that I had to re-set my password, BUT:
    I had set my computer to log in automatically, so had completely forgotten my password!
    I had changed my email address & forgotten to change it on here - so long ago that the original had lapsed - so I couldn't post to ask for it to be reset!
    So the only thing I could do was sign out and sign up again - and here I am, all my little rosettes and thanks and things all gone. I do know that I don't have to ask you to be especially kind, because people on this board always are.
    Nice to be back!
Page 1
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 3,433 Posts
    • 44,110 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    Welcome back, builders daughter. Just look on it as a re-birth.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Minihauk
    • By Minihauk 10th Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    Minihauk
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    You are not alone!
    Lots of people got the message to change password. It took me lots of tries to get the right one, but I got there eventually.
    Hope to see lots of posts from you, even though I usually lurk xx
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    Like Dr Who you have regenerated. Welcome back.
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 10th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 15,712 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    I nearly didn't get back in aswell. Phew! Hi jackyann/buildersdaughter
    GC 2017 (£4,000/£3434.09) Jan £264.28, Feb £141.72 (up to and incl.20/2)/£270 p.m/£3,250 p.a

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 10th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 35,850 Posts
    • 46,167 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    Surely you would have been given the chiice to say i have forgotten my password tnen given the chance to change it. I did .
    I do wonder why though perhaps some mod might explain
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 17,562 Posts
    • 105,232 Thanks
    maman
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    Surely you would have been given the chiice to say i have forgotten my password tnen given the chance to change it. I did .
    I do wonder why though perhaps some mod might explain
    Originally posted by McKneff

I think the problem was that without the email address too there would have been no identifier.

I had the same email and although I had my password written down it wasn't accepted and I had to ask for a new one.

I've never been asked to change my password before. I wondered if they were tightening up a bit after the recent issue with disappearing threads.
    • Blackcatsreturns
    • By Blackcatsreturns 10th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Blackcatsreturns
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    The same happened to me - forgotten password and changed email address so I couldn!!!8217;t find a way to login. Gave up and started again just like you jackyann. Bit fed up to have lost all the history but glad to be back. Blackcatsx2 is now Blackcatsreturns!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 10th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 30,378 Thanks
    maddiemay
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:29 PM
    Hi, I just noticed your "previous name" on "A simpler life" and was able to click on it, find your statistics and see your posts. And by copying the address line into google it brought it all up on a new page.

Apologies if you are already aware of this. This link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.php?searchid=175808771 should take you to your posts, but you would not be able to log in and post/edit etc.

Sorry if this is a bit muddles, been struggling with a sinus headache all day
    • Glad
    • By Glad 10th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 17,926 Posts
    • 39,072 Thanks
    Glad
    have you sent an email to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,712 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Hello buildersdaughter/ jackyann.

I'm one of the many people who's had to change their password in the last couple of days because it had 'expired' - we've been having a wee whinge about it on the prepper's thread.

I'd love to know why MSE has decided that various old lags like meself and other suspects have suddenly hit our expiry dates, lol.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Linda32
    • By Linda32 10th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,134 Posts
    • 9,202 Thanks
    Linda32
    I had the same problem as well. Managed to ask for a link to alter my password.

I've no idea how many posts I've made. I'll look to the left after posting this. I know I've been around quite a while.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 15,744 Posts
    • 66,609 Thanks
    Judi
    i was in the same boat. my email address was no longer in service so i had to change it before i could reset my password.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 10th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    General Grant
    I think that when I clicked by the "old" or "current" password box (can't remember which description it was), because I had things to sign in automatically, presumably it was my browser which then actually autofilled that box. I could then progress with "changing". Try your old account again.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Feb 18, 7:49 PM
    • 23,481 Posts
    • 61,083 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I had this farce about a fortnight ago, as I!!!8217;d lost everything. Of course, I had no clue about my password here and I!!!8217;d set up on an old Hotmail account.

Managed to dredge it up though and reset password, so I thought the message was something to do with that.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 19,075 Posts
    • 50,380 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The password change issue is being discussed here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325

Some comments about the reason given by MSE Andrea:
    Hi,

I’m sorry for the delay replying.

This isn’t the first time we’ve sent a prompt out in this or other ways. MSE’s priority is to ensure your security so we’ve prompted everyone to change them.

We realise it might be frustrating but your security comes first.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    and posters are making this point:

But our security isn't coming first when we are being asked to put a new password in over an unsecure connection leaving us open to hackers.

This is taken from Chrome and is the same for firefox surely a massive site like mse should be a lot more secure.

Info or Not secure
    The site isn't using a private connection. Someone might be able to see or change the information you send or get through this site.
    You might see a "Login not secure" or "Payment not secure" message. We suggest that you don't enter sensitive details, like passwords or credit cards.
    On some sites, you can visit a more secure version of the page:
    • Select the address bar.
    • Delete http://, and enter https:// instead.
    If that doesn't work, contact the site owner to ask that they secure the site and your data with HTTPS.

Originally posted by frankennsteiny
    No further comment from MSE on the security issue.
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 11th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Thanks all. Yes, the main issue was that my registered email address was no longer in use. Thanks to those who pointed out different ways I could have dealt with it - but I couldn't find them at the time. Maybe they will be of use to others.
    I don't know much about security on MSE: I have never used the same user name or password as any other site. I do know that this is a very useful forum, which I often recommend.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 17,562 Posts
    • 105,232 Thanks
    maman
    The password change issue is being discussed here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325

Some comments about the reason given by MSE Andrea:

and posters are making this point:

No further comment from MSE on the security issue.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

It seems to me that mse always treats us like mushrooms: fed a load of BS and kept in the dark!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Feb 18, 12:46 PM
    • 19,075 Posts
    • 50,380 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It seems to me that mse always treats us like mushrooms: fed a load of BS and kept in the dark!
    Originally posted by maman
    Some suspicions that MSE has been hacked on the thread I linked to.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 17,562 Posts
    • 105,232 Thanks
    maman
    Some suspicions that MSE has been hacked on the thread I linked to.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I suspected that it might have something to do with that, possibly all the disappearing threads the other day.

My point is more that they treat us like idiots. I find it incredibly patronising.

mseAndrea sounds surprised that we noticed that passwords are to be changed en bloc, telling us many were out of date when many are not. Then there's my ongoing gripe about them starting stupid hypothetical threads when we have plenty of our own. I'd rather they spent their time keeping us informed.

Last week when they 'found' some of the lost threads all we got was 'bump, bump, bump '.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,319Posts Today

7,735Users online

Martin's Twitter