Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 10th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 1,396Posts
    • 1,263Thanks
    ukjoel
    Boiler question
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    Boiler question 10th Feb 18 at 1:54 PM
    We are replacing our 10 year old combi which is on its last legs.

We are also putting in a loft extension soon so will have 2 bathrooms.

I have two questions I would appreciate help with.

Current boiler is in bedroom next to bathroom. Would you stick with this location or relocate to garage. Gas supply is in garage BUT this then creates a long run to bathrooms once the water is heated which worries me.
    Installer suggested Garage but I think its an easier install (and less pipe to upgrade) but water will take longer to get to showers.

Second question is we were recommended Vaillant Ecotec 938 with storage, but now I am reading a lot more about the Vaillant Green IQ 843 being a better option.

Pricewise they are similar and wondered what the thoughts were of those that installed them? Thanks
Page 1
    • MikeEngTech
    • By MikeEngTech 10th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MikeEngTech
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    Boiler better in garage in my opinion. If DHW run is too long then fit a system boiler with unvented cylinder and dhw secondary return loop. Or a Viessmann 222 with the secondary circ pump kit.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    boliston
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    i would keep it where it is as extra pipe runs will add cost and delay hot water reaching point of use - also a bolier would not normally run at night when bedroom is in use so no noise issues - could pipes freeze in an unheated garage?
    • bris
    • By bris 10th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 7,337 Posts
    • 6,339 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    With 2 bathrooms boiler in garage with a 210ltr unvented cylinder is what I would recommend.

If your want to keep the combi then replacing it where it is will be easy enough, manipulating the existing pipe work is a simple job for any decent installer as it's what they do all the time.

If it's the same make of boiler it's usually a lot easier too as the flow, return, Gas, cold inlet and hot water pipes are usually all located in the same order making change overs even easier.

With the bathroom next door you should be able to route the condensate to the bath waste easy enough if your lucky.
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 11th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    ukjoel
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    Thanks - I have had a look at everything you said and researched a bit more last night.

I think you are right and now doubt that a combi will not run two showers at once.

Unvented cylinder seems the best option (with a non combi) but wondered if cheaper option might be an electric shower in the loft.

I can see there are plenty of mains pressure booster pumps on the market but have no experience with them. This seems cheaper than the unvented option but not as bulletproof. It also means if the boiler breaks I have a plan B for showers.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter