Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • csmyth184
    • By csmyth184 10th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    csmyth184
    0 WOW
    "Friend" has opted out of holiday
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    0 WOW
    "Friend" has opted out of holiday 10th Feb 18 at 1:07 PM
    So back in September my friend and I decided to put a £200 deposit on a holiday to Salou in May 2018. However, at the beginning of January she told me that she could no longer go because she has an exam in may (supposedly). I was very annoyed of course but I remained calm and said "well don't worry these things happen". She then suggested that I bring my mum along instead and would cost £50 for a name change (which I paid for). She even agreed that my mum would only need to give her £100 back of the £200 deposit she paid. She also agreed that my mum could pay her back over the summer but I reassured her my mum would pay her back before then. My mum and I then proceeded to do a name change as I am lead passenger which cost us £50. We also paid off the remaining cost of the holiday which was £350.

However recently I received a text from her that she now needs the money desperately. I told her that my mum doesn't have much money at the moment as she had just paid off the ramaining balance of the holiday and it was just after christmas but I reassured her that we would pay her pay back at the end of the month.

My friend then started getting very nasty with me over text demanding that she now wants her full £200 deposit, plus she also wants us to pay £50 extra for the name change, which I don't think is fair at all since my friend was the one who opted out of the holiday. I replied "sorry but you sold the holiday to my mum for £100 deposit, not £200. Also you should incurr some loss due to your decision to pull out of the holiday. You're lucky to even get £100 because you would have lost the full £200 deposit if my mum hadn't taken your place".

She then continued to send threats to bring me to court and is trying to push all the blame on me, which is ridiculous as she was the one who pulled out of the holiday. She even gave me a different excuse as to why she couldn't go on holiday, saying that she would lose a weeks wage if she had went since she can't get time off work. I honestly don't know what to do, she's now lost our friendship and a holiday that she agreed to go on. The only positive thing that has came out of all this is that I've now learnt a valuable lesson: Don't go on holiday with your friend unless you truly trust them.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 61,609 Posts
    • 360,712 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    She needs to wind her neck in. She was lucky to even be offered the £100.

If your mum hadn't been able to go you'd have been left right up shyte creek.

The £50 for a name change was never hers to have, that was a fee the holiday company charged.... a cost SHE CAUSED....

You're better off without this half wit in your life.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    • 11,930 Posts
    • 8,084 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    Just ignore her....

If she chooses to go to court she would lose.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    Leave her to it and I wouldn't give her the money back either. As lead passenger there's nothing she can do anyway as the travel company will only listen to you. She can take you to court if she likes but they will just tell her the same - if you don't go you lose your deposit - end of. That is what it is - a deposit. If it's not used by her it's lost, not your problem
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *60lbs lost* *31lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 32 weeks in -52lbs
    -> target 11 st 13lbs by mid June -> 15 weeks & 18lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    A non refundable deposit presumably..................can't think of any other type ?

Your alleged friend's financial loss is self inflicted, so she just needs to grin and bear it.

Not your responsibility.
    • csmyth184
    • By csmyth184 10th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    csmyth184
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    Yeah it was a non refundable deposit. If we had cancelled the holiday we would've both lost £200 each. She was even trying to get me to cancel the holiday so she was wanting me to lose out aswell!!
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 12,942 Posts
    • 8,432 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    I assume she is no longer a friend.

if that is the case then dont give her anything.
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 10th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    koalakoala
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    And block her number
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,021Posts Today

9,012Users online

Martin's Twitter