Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 10th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Trevstanx
    Income support question.
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    Income support question. 10th Feb 18 at 1:06 PM
    Hi all my partner claims Carers Allowance/Income Support for us as I am on PIP and has done for over a year.

Last week we had some correspondence from the DWP about our savings as when we first made a claim we had approx 10.4k now we have 9.8k... Anyway we made an appointment at our local JC to take the last 3 months statements of all our accounts that went through ok and they gave us a courtesy call to confirm that they had received the correct paperwork and would be worked out.

We got our payment from them yesterday and it had £2 extra on it which meant they had sorted it
    out, we got 2 letters from the DWP first one explained that we will get an extra £2 per week from the 3rd of February and they had took down our savings to the correct amount.

The 2nd letter is what has threw us both off, It says "I am writing to you because you told us that you are working part-time. We need to look again at how much money you earn and how many hours you work each week"... Then it basically says send the last 5 wageslips in or get proof from work.

We have never said anything about her working part time or at all, and basically the bank statements prove that she has never received any money... She is still on the books at work and hands fitnotes in but has not had a payment from work since her SSP ran out last year in January and have never asked for any proof since then.

Anyone know why they would come to the decision of her working part-time on their known? And will it be as simple as ringing up and say that she never said she was working part time? As is said earlier in my post our payment went through ok this week which was 4 days after the letters are dated.

Have we got anything to worry about? Typical the letter comes on a Saturday when the helplines are shut!

Thanks.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    Has your wife now resigned from the job she never intends to return to?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 11,132 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    Hi all my partner claims Carers Allowance/Income Support for us as I am on PIP and has done for over a year.

Last week we had some correspondence from the DWP about our savings as when we first made a claim we had approx 10.4k now we have 9.8k... Anyway we made an appointment at our local JC to take the last 3 months statements of all our accounts that went through ok and they gave us a courtesy call to confirm that they had received the correct paperwork and would be worked out.

We got our payment from them yesterday and it had £2 extra on it which meant they had sorted it
    out, we got 2 letters from the DWP first one explained that we will get an extra £2 per week from the 3rd of February and they had took down our savings to the correct amount.

The 2nd letter is what has threw us both off, It says "I am writing to you because you told us that you are working part-time. We need to look again at how much money you earn and how many hours you work each week"... Then it basically says send the last 5 wageslips in or get proof from work.

We have never said anything about her working part time or at all, and basically the bank statements prove that she has never received any money... She is still on the books at work and hands fitnotes in but has not had a payment from work since her SSP ran out last year in January and have never asked for any proof since then.

Anyone know why they would come to the decision of her working part-time on their known? And will it be as simple as ringing up and say that she never said she was working part time? As is said earlier in my post our payment went through ok this week which was 4 days after the letters are dated.

Have we got anything to worry about? Typical the letter comes on a Saturday when the helplines are shut!

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Trevstanx
    The DWP receives/requests information from HMRC. This is what has probably 'flagged up' the fact she has a part time job.

The DWP are unlikely to know that your wife is off sick from work so you will need to get confirmation from her employer that she has not received any salary from such and such a date.

People can work whilst receiving CA although there are restrictions on hours and salary.

Bank statements would not show your wife's salary if she was being paid in cash!

Plus, most people would be claiming ESA if their SSP had run out but you chose a different route because she was eligible for CA + IS.

I am presuming your wife is the IS claimant. Do you realise that you will not be receiving NI credits towards your pension? If you have children under the age of 12 yrs then you should switch the child benefit into your name as you would receive NI credits with this.

Apologies if you already know/have considered this.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 10-02-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    Thanks @pmlindyloo yeah I understand that I am not getting my NI credits but claiming Is was the better route to go down in the short term... I have no children so can't do that unfortunately.

Claiming IS was the best option for her aswell according to entitled to.

Would the HMRC contacted the DWP for no reason as she hasn't had any money from wages for over a year?

Yeah she can earn up to 110odd pounds and it won't affect CA but would come off the IS

I guess we have nothing to worry about as we are not getting any wages at all... Hopefully it will be a case of ringing up and confirming as it will be a huge pain in the !!! to get her work to provide proof.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 10th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    Also it is a full time job she is off sick from
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 24,536 Posts
    • 14,384 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    Also it is a full time job she is off sick from
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73649847#post73649847
    Post 14
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    I guess we have nothing to worry about as we are not getting any wages at all... Hopefully it will be a case of ringing up and confirming as it will be a huge pain in the !!! to get her work to provide proof.
    Originally posted by Trevstanx
    Yes, I expect the employer will find it a huge pain in the !!! that she is your full time carer whilst claiming to be unfit for work. She needs to address that situation as a priority.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 10th Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    • 35,850 Posts
    • 46,166 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    If she is still on the books, she iz still accruing holiday pay. Also when ssp ran out why didnt she claim 'sick pay' the name evades me at the moment . ESA?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Trevstanx
    • By Trevstanx 11th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Trevstanx
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    If she is still on the books, she iz still accruing holiday pay. Also when ssp ran out why didnt she claim 'sick pay' the name evades me at the moment . ESA?
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Yeah it's ESA ... When I did the entitled.to it said that was the best benefit to claim.

Yeah but she won't get the holiday pay till she leaves so atm she aint getting nothing from her employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

2,172Users online

Martin's Twitter