Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debunked
    • By debunked 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    debunked
    Help ordering BMW M3
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    Help ordering BMW M3 10th Feb 18 at 12:50 PM
    Hello All,

I am in the process of ordering a new BMW M3 on finance, and debating whether the M3 Competition Package is worth the extra cost? There is also the option of the M3 CS, which apparently is the next level up from the Competition Package but this is running close to £100k which is way over my budget.
    Is the Competition Package (CP) worth the extra £3k? There is no power upgrade but the salesman says the CP model comes with lightweight forged alloy wheels and lower, revised suspension, and uprated limited slip differential. For £3k this doesn't sounds too bad, but not sure how it translates into the real world in terms of driving?
    As I want an auto, I have not choice but to choose the DCT gearbox, which I have been told is actually a manual but changes the gears automatically for you? One more thing, is it worth upgrading to the M Carbon Ceramic brakes? It is a £6k option but would it improve braking safety over the standard ones?
Page 2
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    missile
    He has been Debunked
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • force ten
    • By force ten 11th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    force ten
    How on earth do you get to nearly £100k for an M3? That's about £30k of options on the DCT Competition pack model.

Might one suggest one does one's research a little better before starting threads about fantasy purchases.
    Originally posted by uknick
    Might one suggest one does one's research a little better before making posts trying to belittle people

Orders for the new BMW M3 CS can be placed from January 2018, Prices for the car start at 86,630,
    Last edited by force ten; 11-02-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Feb 18, 12:12 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    waamo
    Might one suggest one does one's research a little better before starting threads trying to belittle people
    Originally posted by force ten
    I've been sad enough to configure one on the BMW website. Including every toy and ceramic brakes I got it to £78420.

I bet going in to a dealer they would knock a bit off that.
    This space for hire.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 11th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    force ten
    I've been sad enough to configure one on the BMW website. Including every toy and ceramic brakes I got it to £78420.

I bet going in to a dealer they would knock a bit off that.
    Originally posted by waamo
    there is no option to spec the BMW M3 CS on the M3 configuration page yet are you looking at the competition pack saloon?

go have a look at the M4 coupe and config one of them in CS spec starting price 89K sling on carbon ceramic brakes and you are sitting at 95K so a few options away from the 100K mentioned
    • uknick
    • By uknick 11th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    uknick
    Might one suggest one does one's research a little better before starting threads trying to belittle people
    Originally posted by force ten
    I stand corrected, I missed the CS reference in his original message. However, I can't find any reference to the competition pack option on the £86k CS in the press release, or various media articles. The only mention I can find is when they compare the new CS to an M3 with competition pack. In fact, according to BMW's own press release;

"The most desirable accessory for the driver of the new M3 CS is the optional M Performance Alcantara steering wheel. It is covered in exclusive, anthracite-coloured Alcantara and has a silver ‘12 o'clock’ marking and offers maximum grip in all track driving situations."

So, I still stand by my thought this is another wind up thread.

Edit: Just read the original post again and another apology from me is needed. He did say he wants to buy a standard M3 and add CP if worth the £3k uplift. He then goes onto talk about going the full hog and buying the new CS version. I really ought to spend more time reading and less time judging

But, having said all that, I stand yet again, by my thought it's a wind up. If you are wondering whether the £3k is worth it for the CP, then why on earth would you be thinking of adding another £25k ish to get the CS?
    Last edited by uknick; 11-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 11th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    force ten
    So, I still stand by my thought this is another wind up thread.
    Originally posted by uknick
    I think it is a wind up as well and the nearest the op will ever get to an M3 CS is a poster on his bedroom wall

as for options a set of carbon ceramic brakes will add six grand plus to the already crazy starting price for this car
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 8,246 Posts
    • 8,971 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Why would you buy one when a Tesla Model S medium spec would cost similar or less, have lower deprecation, and its performance would p*** all over this?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 16,223 Posts
    • 9,455 Thanks
    motorguy
    Why would you buy one when a Tesla Model S medium spec would cost similar or less, have lower deprecation, and its performance would p*** all over this?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Maybe a Tesla Model S isnt available in Gran Turismo?

Also, the best performance car isnt the one that gets to 60 mph in a straight line quickest.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • 8,246 Posts
    • 8,971 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Maybe a Tesla Model S isnt available in Gran Turismo?

Also, the best performance car isnt the one that gets to 60 mph in a straight line quickest.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Nice one

However, , in real life rwhere the only racing that goes on is at the traffic lights, straight line performance is all that counts !
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 16,223 Posts
    • 9,455 Thanks
    motorguy
    Nice one

However, , in real life rwhere the only racing that goes on is at the traffic lights, straight line performance is all that counts !
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Its not about racing though - its about the overall driving experience.

I am sure the Tesla is a phenomenal car to be in but i wouldnt describe it as a "drivers car" in the way an M3 or C63 would be. Wafty down the straights, yes. Fun on the twisties - i doubt it.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 12th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 4,085 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Its not about racing though - its about the overall driving experience.

I am sure the Tesla is a phenomenal car to be in but i wouldnt describe it as a "drivers car" in the way an M3 or C63 would be. Wafty down the straights, yes. Fun on the twisties - i doubt it.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Well it is American, they do have a reputation of not being able to corner, even their motor racing only turn one way

http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/this-video-reminds-us-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-an-awful-track-car
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,038Posts Today

7,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin