Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 10th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 803Posts
    • 504Thanks
    ceegee
    Shocked by WCA report.
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    Shocked by WCA report. 10th Feb 18 at 12:27 PM
    I think I still need to get this off my chest. I received the "result" of my WCA on Wednesday and am still in a state of shock and bewilderment.

I was there for MH issues and I scored 9 points for "dealing with other people" and that was it. On 6 other MH descriptors I scored zero. The thing is, there was no mention whatsoever about these 6 other descriptors and I cannot see how the assessor could have drawn the conclusions that she did, from the little "discussion" that was had.

When I left the assessment, I was bewildered and worried that so many of my MH problems had not even been touched upon. How could so much information, details, issues have gone unsaid/unraised?

The report also said that I live with my son. I do not have a son.......I have 2 daughters, one of whom lives with me.

The assessor was a registered physiotherapist. I cannot see how she would be best able to deal with MH issues.

After 24 hours of great distress, I took a deep breath and spent over 5 hours writing a request for a MR. It is concise but just covers the bare bones. It makes clear that much supporting evidence can be supplied if required.

I have also had to apply for JSA "within the limitations of my condition" but that is not for here and now.

I suppose I just wanted to put my experience on here, to show, along with many posters, how bad these assessments/results can be.

Summary so far......twice being told on the phone, by the DWP, that they have no record of me on their system, despite being 62 and having worked for 46 years. Then going to WCA on 28th December for 3.30 appointment, arriving at 3.15, only to be told at 4.45 that they haven't got time to see me that day. Now this horrendous WCA report.

Just getting it off my chest before I crumble.
    "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........"
Page 1
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 10th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 11,478 Posts
    • 21,271 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    Yes sounds like the WCA has some common flaws in it including very basic factual errors. Great extrapolations are often made from spurious or limited facts. I am sorry you've faced this issue. But... mandatory reconsideration. Yes... ensure your MR request is focussed on the descriptors and activities you feel relevant to your disabilities/illness. If you can get supporting evidence.. the closer tied to descriptors as possible.. the better... they'll likely overlook any claim that such evidence can be gotten... so force their hand is my advice and include it... and refer to it in argument for applying descriptors. Make sure you also look at the exceptional circumstances descriptors and cover any support group (limited capability for work related activity) descriptors you feel applicable to you. There's a good chance the decision will remain unchanged but see this as a worthwhile exercise in stepping to appeal where I think you'll statistically have a decent chance of overturning outcome.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 10-02-2018 at 2:12 PM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 10th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    ceegee
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    Thank you, Mutley, for taking the time to reply and for your advice. I am working on getting the supporting evidence for the appeal as I am sort of assuming it will end up with an appeal. I am also writing so much stuff down to take with me.

If the MR puts me in the WRAG, I hope to be able to appeal under the exceptional circumstances regs. Every job application I have made over the past 3 years has been a failure, not even getting interview. I have done care work for that time....it is physically and mentally exhausting and I can't cope with it, physically or mentally, any more. Every failure just cements the feelings of inadequacy and the low self esteem, so I stopped applying for jobs almost a year ago. Whatever discrimination laws may say, nobody wants to take on older people with a handful of O levels which are now seen as out of date. I will just have to do my utmost at the tribunal.

It all hurts when you have worked for 46 years and you then get treated like this.
    Last edited by ceegee; 10-02-2018 at 2:35 PM. Reason: To add something.
    "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........"
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    Physios are trained to assess your functional ability. In that respect they are better qualified to conduct the WCA than almost all other health professionals. Remember that ESA is not about your diagnosis, but what you can and cannot do.

Your age and difficulties in getting interviews is not relevant to ESA. In your appeal/ MR you need to address the descriptors, and provide medical evidence that supports what you say.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 10th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 6,014 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    Physiotherapists are trained to assess a person's physical ability. They may have some training in how attitude affects recovery, but it doesn't sound like this is currently a core part of their training.

They may be better qualified than others to conduct a WCA on someone with musculoskeletal issues, but they're completely unqualified to assess someone with severe mental health problems.
    Last edited by Penitent; 10-02-2018 at 2:58 PM.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 10th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 9,129 Thanks
    minimad1970
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    My WCA report is also full of lies. The doctor who assessed me wrote that a friend accompanied me and waited in the waiting room for me, I actually went there on my own as it's a familiar place, I told her this.
    She said I cook dinner every day, I said I don't cook anymore.
    She said I visit friends every week, I don't actually do anything social anymore with friends.
    There were a few other things as well.
    But for me the most serious lie, and most dangerous, was the fact that I no longer have thoughts about suicide and haven't for over a year. When I got home I realised she hadn't asked me about this at all but didn't realise how important it was to the outcome.
    I've put in for a mandatory reconsideration but I'm fully expecting to have to go to a tribunal. When it's over I'm going to ask for an explanation as to why this is allowed to happen. A difference of opinion is one thing but outright lies are another.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    Physiotherapists are trained to assess a person's physical ability. They may have some training in how attitude affects recovery, but it doesn't sound like this is currently a core part of their training.

They may be better qualified than others to conduct a WCA on someone with musculoskeletal issues, but they're completely unqualified to assess someone with severe mental health problems.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I know several, and they're expected to take a holistic view of the patient's condition, physical and mental. The overlap between the two is significant, as are treatments, both psychological and pharmaceutical.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 10th Feb 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 6,014 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:03 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:03 PM
    I know several, and they're expected to take a holistic view of the patient's condition, physical and mental. The overlap between the two is significant, as are treatments, both psychological and pharmaceutical.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    I'm sorry, I do see where you're coming from and I'm not dissing the profession, but I just don't think they're up to assessing severe and complex conditions. They may try to take into account someone being a bit down or a bit anxious in their physio work, but I don't believe they have the training or experience to fully understand more severe conditions and how they affect people. I think there's a huge risk of them downplaying people's conditions if they conflate being a bit nervous with the kind of paralysing anxiety disorders that they may be expected to assess.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,360Posts Today

5,078Users online

Martin's Twitter