Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 725Posts
    • 355Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    cut down windows 10?
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    cut down windows 10? 10th Feb 18 at 12:02 PM
    For a notebook with a rather limited SSD the vast majority of the disk space is taken up by win 10 leaving very little for new apps and data storage.
    Can win 10 be 'trimmed' to reduce it's storage needs?
    There will also be a bit of supplied bloatware but by size thanks relatively small.
    Notebook is a newish hp stream with a 30GB disk, a couple of games added but now under 3GB space remaining.

Tia
Page 2
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 12th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thanks prop, good idea. In my case however it is set to minimal size so would only release a bit and I need to get another 3GB.

Ask a good idea Dipso and a current possibility. However the same issue will surely arise for a future update too?
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 12th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    tonyh66
    download windows 10 to a usb stick using MS media creation tool, uninstall any 'apps' which you don't use and possibly some you do but can reinstall afterwards. clean up disk, install Win 10 update from usb.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 12th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    good idea Dipso and a current possibility. However the same issue will surely arise for a future update too?
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    i don't get why they sold these with 30gb drives. 40gb would have been ok, not ideal but would have left enough space for updates.

its all about using office 365 and external drives for all docs/media/programs.

the only options i can see is reset or reinstall from usb
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 12th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    i don't get why they sold these with 30gb drives. 40gb would have been ok, not ideal but would have left enough space for updates.

its all about using office 365 and external drives for all docs/media/programs.

the only options i can see is reset or reinstall from usb
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Don’t think it has usb only sd
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    >Can you point me in the direction of instruction for that, please?<

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    esuhl
    Would it be worth reducing the size of the pagefile (or removing it completely)?
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 12th Feb 18, 9:34 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Tony/Debbie, doing that now, thanks
    Dipso. I agree entirely. Bought by someone (not me) that saw the headline 'sale' and thought it great value!

Fortunately the best bit of the HP Stream is that it has usb and a card slot!

Edit: and as per Esul's suggestion page file already just a few MB! (apologies only noticed your post after my summary below)

I'll post back how I get on as I can be convinced that others will be having exactly the same issue.............
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 12-02-2018 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Esul comment response.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 12th Feb 18, 11:04 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Conclusion
    The abnormal route I have been taking and contemplating that is not designed for non IT persons, looks like it would work to do the current missing updates to win 10.

Overview of process:
    It involves disabling update downloads, creating space on the hard drive (including components that are installed 'as sold'), deleting whatever is necessary, performing management of a computer that is probably beyond most people (and should not be reasonably expected), doing a 'manual' down load of the update files and installing updates from there.

All because the drive is - albeit sufficient to run a machine out of the shop but -becomes soon too small to cope with the automatic and necessary Microsoft updates.

So currently I consider this machine not fit for purpose. It is advertised as capable of running windows 10.
    [quotes from Curry's website about this machine - there are other sellers]
    "
    The best Windows yet
    One of the greatest things about Windows 10 is that it keeps getting better all the time. New features. Updated security. So the best Windows ever always gives you the best experience possible. Even better, staying up-to-date is easy. " (my bold type)

Easy it certainly is not!

Now I presume that the iso file I downloaded and checked that it will mount, would perform the update to the current release of win 10. How long before a user has so little space left before even the manual route fails is anybody's guess!
    "
    Security
    Windows provides comprehensive security, including Windows Defender, Firewall, and SmartScreen Filter, plus a dashboard that shows you device health and security. Always-enabled free updates2 help keep you current on security and features for the supported lifetime of your device. "
    .........and then that security becomes flawed. In this case in just under two months!

I have not run the update exe as the machine owner is not particularly happy with the above mentioned machine limitations and is mulling over what to do.

I would take it straight back as not fit for purpose!
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 12-02-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: a couple of corrections
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 13th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    poppellerant
    There is one thing you could do, but it would get rid of everything currently installed, including the pre-installed software/bloatware. That's finding a 8GB USB flash drive and installing Windows 10 from that. But it would need to be a clean installation. Afterwards the drivers would need probably to be installed.

If you do choose to do the above, here are some links to help you decide:

Download Windows 10 - Create Windows 10 installation media. Follow the instructions titled Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Snappy Driver Installaer Origin - this tool is very easy to use and will help you to install the needed drivers for the computer.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    esuhl
    I would take it straight back as not fit for purpose!
    Given the inherent limitations, I think that would be quite a legitimate claim.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    esuhl
    I just remembered NTLite, which can be used to create an up-to-date, and "cut down" installation of Windows 10.

https://www.ntlite.com/
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    tonyh66
    Did one of these recently 32GB mmc hard drive, barely enough room for windows and a couple of programs. They are aimed at portablity, office365 and cloud storage. A right PITA because there is no room for windows to do its automatic updates.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 13th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    emptybox
    I've got a WIndows 10 tablet with a 32 GB MMC drive, and have managed to keep it up to date with the big updates.
    Just looking at it now it has 11.9 GB free of 28.6.

But it runs the 32bit version of Win 10 which takes up less space, and also I keep my data on an SD card. All the programs and apps are on the system drive though.
    Last edited by emptybox; 13-02-2018 at 5:04 PM.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 13th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Ah, yes, Esul. NTLite, you triggered a brain cell in me too! Could be useful for some people especially "IT professionals and enthusiasts" as it says on the web site. It is good to get a reminder for the benefit of anyone in that situation.

It is not really for the run of the mill user, however.......
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 14th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    AlSto
    Factory Reset and then run upgrade from installation media created via the Media Creation Tool; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 14th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    esuhl
    Ah, yes, Esul. NTLite, you triggered a brain cell in me too! Could be useful for some people especially "IT professionals and enthusiasts" as it says on the web site. It is good to get a reminder for the benefit of anyone in that situation.

It is not really for the run of the mill user, however.......
    Well... trying to "cut down Windows 10" so it will fit on a 30GB SSD isn't for the run of the mill user either!
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 15th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Yes, you are quite right Esul.

Iwas just originally hoping for a simple method to significantly reduce the footprint. I did get those suggestions but unfortunately just not a big enough reduction!

It does seem the 32 bit version might be the only easy way forward according to emptybox's post.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 15th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    poppellerant
    If you're prepared to spend a little time navigating the menu system, MSMG Toolkit might give you the results that you're looking for. But definitely stick with 32 bit, as 64 bit does use more space - not much, but enough to make a difference in your situation.

Download MSMG Toolkit and the ISO image of Windows 10 that you want to work with. To help you out, here are a few steps you should follow:
    1. Run the toolkit by extracting the zip file to a folder and run Start
    2. From the Source menu choose Extract Source from DVD ISO Image and enter the name of the ISO image
    3. Again, from the Source menu choose Select Source from <DVD> Folder - choose the index you want to work with
    4. As a rule, I remove all the metro apps and other bits and pieces like Onedrive. This can be done from the Remove menu. This is probably where you will spend your time making some choices.
    5. Integrating updates might be wise, as you won't need to pray you have space to install them. This will increase the image size slightly, but this can be easily offset with the removal of apps. The latest Cumulative Update can be found here - make sure you download Cumulative Update for x86-based Systems. From the Integrate menu choose Windoiws Updates.
    6. At this point it is advisable to cleanup the image - this is done in the Apply menu and choosing Cleanup Source Images.
    7. Now you need to apply the changes to the image - do this from the Apply menu and choose Apply & Save Changes to Source Images
    8. Now you can save this image to an ISO file for you to use - do this from the Target menu, choose Make a DVD ISO Image and enter a filename for your ISO file.
    Now you can burn this image to a blank DVD and enjoy a bloated and updated Windows 10.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Dependant on which model they have you could take the ultimate step of just putting in a decent sized SSD:-

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Stream+13+Disassembly+for+Upgrading+the+PCIe+mi ni+SSD/55353

Obviously this isn't the cheapest option.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 15th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thanks Prop and Colin.
    I am holding fire till the owner of the stream decides what to do.

Good to see another alternative on the download front.

I feel the same as Colin to install a larger drive. A couple of problems with that is (as posted) the extra cost plus not annideal situation with a recently purchased machine the warranty etc.
    I await owners decision!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter