Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 725Posts
    • 355Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    cut down windows 10?
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    cut down windows 10? 10th Feb 18 at 12:02 PM
    For a notebook with a rather limited SSD the vast majority of the disk space is taken up by win 10 leaving very little for new apps and data storage.
    Can win 10 be 'trimmed' to reduce it's storage needs?
    There will also be a bit of supplied bloatware but by size thanks relatively small.
    Notebook is a newish hp stream with a 30GB disk, a couple of games added but now under 3GB space remaining.

Tia
Page 1
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 10th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    have you cleared temp system files?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    errr probably not! Have cleared recycle bin and temp files folder. ......but brain fails about temp system files!!!! Thanks!
    Can you remind me where and how and if there are any drawbacks? In the meantime creating rescue media and taking a backup! (Macrium Reflect as my preference)
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 10-02-2018 at 1:02 PM. Reason: typos
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    Also check to see if you have a windows.old folder , my win10 virtual machine has 15.7 GB free out of 32
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    Will do thanks. Win 10 is now trying to update (twas on a version 15xx) and need 8GB just for that and from what you say there is lots I should clean up. Disk cleanup doing some sums at present.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    errr probably not! Have cleared recycle bin and temp files folder. ......but brain fails about temp system files!!!! Thanks!
    Can you remind me where and how and if there are any drawbacks? In the meantime creating rescue media and taking a backup! (Macrium Reflect as my preference)
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    Run the built in disk cleanup utility There is no downside in removing temp files.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    Well windows update files taking up 4GB, but no windows.old folder.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    Google 'Windows 10 Lite' and see if there's anything that suits your needs.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 10th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    Another thing you could do, even if only temporarily when updating, is to disable Hibernation.
    This uses a file called hiberfil.sys to store everything in RAM onto the hard drive, when you go into hibernation, and can take up many GBs of space.
    Disabling it also disables Windows Fast Startup, as it uses the same system.
    It doesn't affect putting the laptop to sleep by closing the lid.

To disable open a command prompt as Administrator (type "command" into search box and right click the Command Prompt app and select 'Run as administrator')
    then type
    Code:
    powercfg -h off
    and press enter.

Code:
    powercfg -h on
    to re-enable.

ETA: Also go into System Restore and see how much space previous restore points are taking up.
    Last edited by emptybox; 10-02-2018 at 1:55 PM.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thanks for further ideas.
    Had a look at lite but don't think it is for the user (a relative).
    Switching off hibernate would be useful during update, thanks, and will check if it is used at all!

Cleanup has now produced over 5GB free space so will look for ideas to get more.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 10th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Windows 10 with full Office 2016 plus some apps takes about 20Gb on my netbook.

With these devices often having a 32Gb SSD, it's worth removing the OEM 'recovery' partition which can be 8GB in size and expanding the partition used for C: drive
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Some of that free space that there was has been used up by setting the store point (there was none set) and with Reflect which I could now remove after doing the image and boot disk.

Windows now down to 19.5GB so a bit more to go to get to dipso's value and enable win update to take place. (But similar to yours Debbie, now)

Other significant values:
    User data 1.1GB (reduced by half getting rid of downloads not needed)
    Prog data 1.1GB
    prog files x86 2.58GB
    Prog files 1.87GB

Rest smallish numbers.

Drive partitions other than main just in MB so nothing to gain there then!
    It's great when shops sell a pc (notebook) capable of 'running' win 10 but with little left for any other modern needs and not even enough space (as sold) to update to the latest update!!

Can someone confirm that the OEM partition will be the one named "windows re tools" ?

Anyone with any more ideas to gain a bit of space? ....or will that be it now!
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 11th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    miserable result!!
    Well, try as I might the effort has proven quite poor.
    The following has taken place:
    Deletion of not needed temp files,
    Added Reflect to make rescue disk, backup of all drive partitions to external,
    Removal of windows update files
    Set restore point with a minimum drive allocation (there had not been any set!)
    Ensured hibernation is not active,
    Another clean up of temp files,
    (Somewhere around here as previously posted I had gained and was at 5GB space and got to nearly 6GB at one time)
    Still not sufficient to do a Windows update (informed 8GB required by update process),
    Deleted office 16,
    Downloaded and ran mini partition to add in win the partition to main windows partition (just 1GB on this machine),
    Deleted partition tool,
    Deleted 500MB user data (mainly downloads)
    Cleaned temp files again, rebooted, cleaned files again!
    Checked that compactOS was active

Low and behold now just 4GB free space,

Going backwards in ever decreasing circles!

Even tried compress drive but being an SSD it unsurprisingly had no effect.

Any further ideas of things to check (or again) would be most welcome. Really scratching my head as things that (on the face of them) should have freed up space seem to have done the opposite! Grrrrrrrr..........

Bit of lateral thinking is it possible to use a usb memory stick or external drive to effectively increase the c drive by making two partitions be treated as one contiguous partition, even temporarily! ? Is that VHD? Oh on win 10 home 64bit.
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 11-02-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: lateral thought....
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 11th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    >Going backwards in ever decreasing circles!<

Probably the background updater is pulling down Windows files as space is freed up. What version of Windows are you on now?

>is it possible to use a usb memory stick or external drive to effectively increase the c drive <

No, but you can download the latest Windows 10 to an 8GB USB stick and perform the upgrade from that, keeping all your files and apps.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Tarambor
    If it has a SD Card slot I think I'd be getting a 128GB SD Card/MicroSD card and sticking that in to use as a drive to store my files on.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 11th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thanks Debbie,
    It is windows 10 home 64 bit version 1703 os build 15063.850
    Looking at update history by here are many a failed attempt.

Can you tell me where the update files would be located to check?
    " you can download the latest Windows 10 to an 8GB USB stick and perform the upgrade from that, keeping all your files and apps. " Can you point me in the direction of instruction for that, please?

Yes T, thanks for that suggestion it does have a card slot so will look what can be done there. I presume that can be used like the memory stick as above....
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 12th Feb 18, 12:34 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    emptybox
    Once you've made the Macrium Reflect rescue disc you want to uninstall the Windows PE stuff, as that takes up quite a lot of space, and you won't need it again.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 12th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Debbie, I think you are right. Some sort of update had taken place (not yet to latest win 10 according to history) and after a clean up space has jumped to over 5GB. Still not enough to do full update though so will investigate update files to the other offboard location!

Thanks for the prompt, Box, I think I ticked that option during Reflect removal but will double check.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 12th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    poppellerant
    For the time being, disable system restore. That will happily eat up your free space. You've already got Macrium images, so there isn't really a need for system restore.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 12th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    i am no expert but wouldn't it be easier to backup and reset notebook (deleting everything)? you then should have enough space to update as win10 is approx 20gb
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,631Users online

Martin's Twitter