Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 10th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,281Posts
    • 1,292Thanks
    paragon909
    Moving Supplier
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    Moving Supplier 10th Feb 18 at 10:44 AM
    Couple of questions.

I'm moving from SSE to EDF in March apparently that's when my move is for. Questions. Do i need to pay the exit fees before the transfer happens. And will my existing meters work the same or do they need to be changed?
Page 1
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 10th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 673 Posts
    • 1,685 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    You will not have to pay exit fees if you are within 49 days of the end of the fixed contract.

If you are changing before that, the exit fees will be applied to your final bill.

It may be economical for you to switch to a non-exit fee tariif with your current supplier and then switch to the new supplier.

Normal meters work with all suppliers.

However, if you have changed to so called "smart" meters, they are very likely to become "dumb" because of the poor way the smart meter project has been implemented and managed.
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 10th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    You will not have to pay exit fees if you are within 49 days of the end of the fixed contract.

If you are changing before that, the exit fees will be applied to your final bill.

It may be economical for you to switch to a non-exit fee tariif with your current supplier and then switch to the new supplier.

Normal meters work with all suppliers.

However, if you have changed to so called "smart" meters, they are very likely to become "dumb" because of the poor way the smart meter project has been implemented and managed.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer

Moving from SSE fix 2020 to EDF online saver march 2019.

No I don't have smart meters, Not really interested in them actually.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    Moving from SSE fix 2020 to EDF online saver march 2019.

No I don't have smart meters, Not really interested in them actually.
    Originally posted by paragon909
    Your supplier is required to notify you within the period 49 to 42 days from the end of your fixed contract that your tariff is coming to an end. You are then free to initiate a switch to any other supplier without the penalty of exit fees. If you decide to initiate a switch - and your old supplier is notified via industry procedures that a switch has been initiated by contract end date plus 20 days - you will remain on your old tariff terms until the switch goes through. There is no need to inform your present supplier that you are leaving: your new supplier is required to manage all aspects of the transfer of supply. Your old supplier is required to raise a Final Bill within 6 weeks of the actual date that your supply was transferred ( this is not the same as the date that you initiated the switch).
    Last edited by Hengus; 10-02-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,008Posts Today

7,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin