Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gentlepurr
    • By gentlepurr 10th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 3,981Posts
    • 5,027Thanks
    gentlepurr
    "Your password has expired" ..........
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    "Your password has expired" .......... 10th Feb 18 at 9:53 AM
    What a sad day yesterday, tried to bring MSE up on the lappy and get greeted with this message, so i just thought i would warn you all, - your password will expire after 4487 days!! I honestly feel heartbroken, i feel like ive had my front door key taken off me, ok ive had to give myself a shiny new "key" but its just not the same as the one that holds all your memories, the tactile, battered old worn one that nobody would ever have guessed in a million years, and now i have to remember a whole new way to "get in" and i dont like it...........

One saving grace, at least i dont seem to have lost my old version of the site........... and interesting that ive passed the 4487 days as an MSEr mark............
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
Page 1
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 10th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 32,336 Thanks
    ampersand
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    Loads of airings on this latest mse non-sense.
    Expect neither response, nor apology, nor explanation. These don't happen nowadays on mse.
    On the other hand, random banning is on the increase.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• gentlepurr
    • By gentlepurr 10th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 5,027 Thanks
    gentlepurr
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    Sad world, fings aint wat they usedta be.........
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 8,126 Posts
    • 8,366 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    What's wrong with Board Feedback? - There have been threads on this since yesterday and an 'official' thread went live almost exactly 24hrs before this one...?
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 10th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 16,681 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    Sad world, fings aint wat they usedta be.........
    Originally posted by gentlepurr
    Ah, yes, when everything cost a penny and was made of wood.....

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 10th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 11,951 Posts
    • 15,931 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    Ah, yes, when everything cost a penny and was made of wood.....

WR
    Originally posted by Wild_Rover
    And City bankers weren't obsessed with their own wages and bonuses while screwing everyone else over...

Wait, were they ever not about their own personal wealth?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 11,855 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    What a sad day yesterday, tried to bring MSE up on the lappy and get greeted with this message, so i just thought i would warn you all, - your password will expire after 4487 days!! I honestly feel heartbroken, i feel like ive had my front door key taken off me, ok ive had to give myself a shiny new "key" but its just not the same as the one that holds all your memories, the tactile, battered old worn one that nobody would ever have guessed in a million years, and now i have to remember a whole new way to "get in" and i dont like it...........

One saving grace, at least i dont seem to have lost my old version of the site........... and interesting that ive passed the 4487 days as an MSEr mark............
    Originally posted by gentlepurr
    Why did you not just use your existing password like a lot of us did?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.7
    Total so far - 530.8
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 10th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 17,387 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    Mine was 4766 days .... but I just set it to the same password as it was
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 10th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 8,100 Posts
    • 12,616 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    Mine was 464 days.
    • gentlepurr
    • By gentlepurr 10th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 5,027 Thanks
    gentlepurr
    Why did you not just use your existing password like a lot of us did?
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Mine was 4766 days .... but I just set it to the same password as it was
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    ....Because it wasnt "big" enough, ive been here so many years my password was only 5 digits........... but small as it was i still loved it...........
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 11th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 3,068 Posts
    • 4,721 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Mine was 206 days, had to reset my password as I could not remember it.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Silver Shark
    • By Silver Shark 11th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Silver Shark
    Mine was 464 days and I just changed my password to the one I always use.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 27,281 Posts
    • 14,954 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I just made mine exactly the same as it was before. A total pointless exercise.
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 11th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Mine was 2485 days or thereabouts. I'm the world's worst for having the same passwords/PIN numbers for everything so it's now just a variation on my original one.
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £93 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66 * Clothes Challenge 2018 #13 *
    (SPCNo.10 £682.31 * SPCNo.9 £442.64 * inc Quidco to 2/11/17 £249.69) *[/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • Naf
    • By Naf 11th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 2,229 Thanks
    Naf
    Mine was 2000-odd. My old password was too short, but that's because its still in my "old scheme" as it were - accounts which I don't have security worries about. Accounts which need higher security have more difficult passwords.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/ will give you an idea how long a computer program would take to hack your password. My new MSE one sits at 42 years.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 12th Feb 18, 8:06 AM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 28,961 Thanks
    bugslet
    Mine was at 5225 days. I tacked a 1 on the end.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 12th Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 7,162 Thanks
    poppy10
    Mine was 4157 days old One of the oldest passwords I have, I'd grown fond of it. Couldn't re-use as it was too old

Bit random to suddenly start making people use new passwords after 11 years. Has there been a hacking attempt?
    Signature changed by MSE ForumTeam
    • bewildered1
    • By bewildered1 14th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    bewildered1
    My last one was 227 days old or something like that. This one was just 5 days old. I shouldn't have to change my password after just 5 days.

It does make you wonder if someone is doing some phishing but as you can't get on the site without updating your password there's no way to tell. Unless of course it is a phishing scam in which case it's too late because you had to type in both your old and new password. This is entirely possible as the site isn't secure. Why isn't https standard on a site like this?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Feb 18, 12:44 AM
    • 5,659 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    KeithP

Five days???
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Feb 18, 1:34 AM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Ian011
    So, having been asked five days ago to change the password, five days later I have been prompted to change it again. I am not going to be happy if the password has got to be changed every few days. That is utterly absurd.

Forcing people to change passwords on a regular or frequent basis has been shown time and time again to end up with people using easier to guess passwords (often just a simple variant of the old one) and thereby reduces security - surely the exact opposite of what was intended?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

9,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: A huge thank you to everyone who has signed our #RecoverySpace campaign letter so far - we have reached over 1,000 names! If you?

• RT @fikee: Told a ridiculously cool young lad behind me in the supermarket that I loved his boots. He looked at me and in that split secon?

• Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Follow Martin