Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • mummyofboys1985
    • By mummyofboys1985 10th Feb 18, 6:57 AM
    • 57Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Tax Credits Overpayment issues 7 months later.....
    • #1
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:57 AM
    Tax Credits Overpayment issues 7 months later..... 10th Feb 18 at 6:57 AM
    Iím STILL having problems with them taking 50% off my current claim for overpayments included in my bankruptcy!!

    This has been going on since July. I was eventually advised to put in a ďfinancial hardship claimĒ in November which stopped the reduction but low and behold , itís starting back up in April

    Iíve already wrote two letters of complaint and received a reply in November that just confirmed what I already knew and that the bankruptcy team would contact me in due course, heard zilcho!!

    Whatís my next steps? Iíve cleared any amounts on joint claims and they actually owe me money back for taking some towards my single one.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 13,022 Posts
    • 12,619 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    Was it a joint, or single claim you had ?

    Because in a joint claim, if only one of you was made bankrupt, they can still recover the over payment from the other party.

    If that's not the case, and its a genuine error, then your options for contact are limited, i would say try ringing the help line and get the agent to pass your details to the bankruptcy team again.

    But you are correct that any tax credits over payment will cease to be recoverable from the date a person enters bankruptcy.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 11th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 5,873 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • #3
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    If your formal complaint has not been dealt with then you need to move to the next step, which is here:

    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

9,717Users online

Martin's Twitter