Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 9th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    • 2,452Posts
    • 270Thanks
    britishboy
    38, bored, wanting to learn...
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:06 PM
    38, bored, wanting to learn... 9th Feb 18 at 6:06 PM
    Please bear with me.. Iím 38, been in the same job since leaving school 20 years ago and I think Iím bored. I do earn well, and my job is relatively easy (engineering), but Iíd like to learn something I can take with me if I moved somewhere new

I donít think this is a mid life crisis (not just yet anyway...), but Iím getting itchy feet. I am a fast learner, can turn my hands to most things, am trained to HNC level so consider myself to be fairly smart. Iíd maybe even like something I could do for myself, part time. But thatís where I get stuck. What do I do? Am open to suggestions

Any advice greatly appreciated, and please feel free to ask any questions if itíll help
Page 1
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 9th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    20 years in the same job? How about trying another job it might give you some challenges, perhaps looking to move up a level?
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 9th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    Have a look at the Open University.

Also Futurelearn have lots of taster courses.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 9th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    Don't quit the day job until you've got a definitive plan as to what you're going to do next - the plan should obviously include how you're going to live on a lower salary, which sounds like it will be fairly inevitable. I'd also suggest thinking hard about whether it's really your work, as opposed to other areas of your life, that is causing you to feel bored.

As has been suggested, some part-time courses could be good to give you a feel for what you might like to do.
    • StevenB12
    • By StevenB12 10th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    StevenB12
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    Hello mate,

Very much the same as you (in a sense lol) I tend to get, I wouldn't say 'bored' as such with jobs, but I usually end up stagnating in the sense that I go as far as I feel I can go in that company, and then end up elsewhere. I think in the past 10 years I have worked for 4 different companies now. Each has taught me new things and has helped me in terms of progressing onto a better job etc, I also do Engineering (drainage/civils) and I like to try and stay in that work, but to just tweak it a bit, new projects etc.

One of my friends a few years back now was exactly the same. He had done his HNC etc and was still on more or less the same pay, same job day in, day out. He basically had to fund an open Uni coarse that took him about 3 years to complete, but he now works for American Air Filters, got a permanent job in America, all the paper work sorted for by employer etc, and now takes home about 60K a year.

Could be something for you to look at, relocation or working abroad? I was lucky enough to have the experience for a year and it's a lot different than what we do over here. Sometimes it's more of a change of scenery than a change of career needed.

You could look at moving onto a different sector of engineering, have you looked at Airplane, Train/Rail etc? Much bigger challenge and different environment etc.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    Well I'm also 38 and a bit bored too! I've never had a career as such but a series of jobs. The longest I've stayed in one was 8 years. I feel dread when I know I may have another 30 years of work ahead!
    Have a serious think. I know someone in her 40's who went to uni. Lectures are not constant, she worked around them to earn money and now has a whole new career. 38 isn't old. You have time to completely change track if you want.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 10-02-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: T
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 14th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    20 years in the same job? How about trying another job it might give you some challenges, perhaps looking to move up a level?
    Originally posted by ssparks2003
    Do you mean in the same company? The next step up from what I do now is a managerial role, which I wouldn't want to do as it wouldn't suit me, and i couldn't act how managers in my place do sadly
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 14th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    Don't quit the day job until you've got a definitive plan as to what you're going to do next - the plan should obviously include how you're going to live on a lower salary, which sounds like it will be fairly inevitable. I'd also suggest thinking hard about whether it's really your work, as opposed to other areas of your life, that is causing you to feel bored.

As has been suggested, some part-time courses could be good to give you a feel for what you might like to do.
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    I think its a combination of both now you mention it, but my company has changed so much in the last 5 years (for the worse), too many middle level managers who speak a different language (buzz word city) to me, and I just look around and think to myself 'when did the company change so much?'

Have thought about some part time courses to learn a trade perhaps, electrics or plumbing etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,653Users online

Martin's Twitter