Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• HJE2018
    • By HJE2018 9th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Old PCN! Help
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    Old PCN! Help 9th Feb 18 at 5:55 PM

Iím new to this forum and have read the newbies thread about different charges and notices but it still doesnít really make sense to me as there is so much to take in!

I received a PCN on the 27th October 2017 about a claim of parking on the 23rd October 2017. The car was pulled into ďprivate landĒ to let a friend out of the car and the car stopped on the private land for 9 minutes and never in one of the parking spaces, the car also moved 3 times in those 9 minutes and was never parked so the engine was still running and lights were on etc. The friend was then let back in the car and drove away. There was no signage about not stopping on the private land only about where to pay which assumed it would be when parked in a designated space!?

Stupidly I sent an appeal about 5 days after the PCN was recieved and obviously lost. Iíve now received 4 more letters some from solicitors and the charge has gone up to £208. The company is one parking solution and Iíve received letters from zzps and QDR solicitors!?
    I would be hugely great full if anyone could help! Iím 7 months pregnant and could do without this worry and also without the fine if I donít have to pay it!

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 8,472 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    The Deep
    What you can do, which will be helpful to everyone, is watch this

and complain in the most forceful terms to you MP.

Demanding over £200 fir parking for less than 10 minutes is clearly a scam, even if you were in breach of a contract. The Law does not concern itself with trifles and this may well be a trifle.
    Last edited by The Deep; 10-02-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • logician
    • By logician 11th Feb 18, 1:15 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Stopping to let somebody out is parking.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Why do think that moving 3 times, engine still running, and lights on doesn't constitute 'parking'?

Do you have some legal basis to back up your assertion, or are you making this up to suit your circumstances?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Actually Jopson v Homeguard confirms that dropping off/ delivering/ unloading etc and stopping is not considered parking

Paragraphs 19 -22 of the judgment are particularly useful in that regard.

Additionally in PE v Ms X case 3JD08399 - driving around for 31 minutes was also not considered 'parking'

So yes useful judgments are available
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 11th Feb 18, 3:43 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    Stopping to let somebody out is parking.
    Originally posted by waamo
    No it's not. Stopping on double yellow lines to allow passengers to alight or disembark is perfectly lawful & is definitely not parking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,582Posts Today

7,160Users online

Martin's Twitter