Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davholla
    • By davholla 9th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 520Posts
    • 95Thanks
    davholla
    Water meter problem
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    Water meter problem 9th Feb 18 at 5:45 PM
    We and our other neighbour have a strange problem. If she turns off her water, she turns off ours as well.
    Thames Water want us to have meters and we are going to ask them about this problem, can we insist they change it? (I don't know how meters would work for her house). Any ideas?
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    They would probably have to split the feeds otherwise there would be difficulty ascertaining who was using what amount of water.
    • davholla
    • By davholla 9th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    davholla
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    They would probably have to split the feeds otherwise there would be difficulty ascertaining who was using what amount of water.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    But who do you think should pay? Us or the water company?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    ^^^ I would say the Water Company as they are the ones who want to introduce water meters.
    • cutandshut
    • By cutandshut 10th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    cutandshut
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    I share a water main with my neighbour.
    Our water company (Southern Water) fitted meters, in the kitchen, where the main enters our property.
    The disadvantage is that they need access to read it.
    • davholla
    • By davholla 12th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    davholla
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    I share a water main with my neighbour.
    Our water company (Southern Water) fitted meters, in the kitchen, where the main enters our property.
    The disadvantage is that they need access to read it.
    Originally posted by cutandshut
    Has your neighbour ever turned off your water by accident or on purpose or vice a versa?
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 12th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    I have a shared supply with my neighbour. I have a meter (fitted inside my house), he doesn't. yes, he has turned my supply of by mistake - was having his bathroom redone while he was away with work for a couple of days and had told the plumber it was easier to use the main stop tap outside than the one in his house - he didnt know it was a shared supply.

Or do you mean that if your neighbour turns her stop tap INSIDE her house off that turns off your water supply? What happens if you turn your water off, does that turn your neighbour's off too?
    • davholla
    • By davholla 12th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    davholla
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    Or do you mean that if your neighbour turns her stop tap INSIDE her house off that turns off your water supply? What happens if you turn your water off, does that turn your neighbour's off too?
    Originally posted by aliby21
    Yes, if she turns her tap off I lose water. She had a leak recently and turned it off and we lost water as well, our stop !!!! does NOT turn hers off.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 13th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 10,784 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    deanos
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    sounds like the supply comes into the neighbors property then through the wall into yours, i presume that you are in a terrace or something, all depends on how the pipework is, but it might/might not be able to be sorted

report to the water co and get someone out
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,045Posts Today

9,129Users online

Martin's Twitter