Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roundturn
    • By roundturn 9th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 15Thanks
    roundturn
    identifying if a new car's been crash repaired
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    identifying if a new car's been crash repaired 9th Feb 18 at 5:38 PM
    Apart from a very close inspection, how could I spot if £6K's worth of damage had been repaired by a dealership?

First they told me the car had ben damaged in transit, and wanted to refund my deposit and cancel the contract. Then they told me there'd been no damage, it was rogue salesman, and the car would be ready shortly.....

No longer know who to believe....
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    loskie
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    don't you have the chassis number?
    • roundturn
    • By roundturn 9th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    roundturn
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    Just checked the paperwork and I have a VIN.

Not sure how that helps though.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 9th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 13,391 Posts
    • 8,497 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    You cant really. A good bodywork guy will make it very difficult to spot even if yoh know what your looking for.

Discuss it with them again as it may be a case of the salesman tried to get a better price on it behind your back if the manager is saying the saleman was rogue
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 3,219 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    If it is repaired so well nobody can tell does it matter?
    This space for hire.
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,545 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    Easiest is to try and trade it in/sell to a main dealer or WBAC- they will find the tiniest tell-tales and reduce the price they offer, (and tell you why).
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • roundturn
    • By roundturn 9th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    roundturn
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    If it is repaired so well nobody can tell does it matter?
    Originally posted by waamo
    Maybe not - it's psychological really: you buy a brand new car you don't want to imagine it's already been smashed up & repaired....
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 9th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    Maybe not - it's psychological really: you buy a brand new car you don't want to imagine it's already been smashed up & repaired....
    Originally posted by roundturn
    That's far more common than you'd imagine, though probably not as common as it used to be. Cars get shipped, driven on and off ferries, on and off transporters, and accidents happen.

Bear in mind that £6k of damage to a brand new car, repaired to factory standards (at dealer accounting prices) so it can still be called new, doesn't need to be much. Replacing one bolt-on wing and a full body respray to ensure a perfect match would probably cover it.

eta: Having said that, it'd be nice if they got their story straight.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 9th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 4,085 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    That's far more common than you'd imagine, though probably not as common as it used to be. Cars get shipped, driven on and off ferries, on and off transporters, and accidents happen.

Bear in mind that £6k of damage to a brand new car, repaired to factory standards (at dealer accounting prices) so it can still be called new, doesn't need to be much. Replacing one bolt-on wing and a full body respray to ensure a perfect match would probably cover it.

eta: Having said that, it'd be nice if they got their story straight.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Very true, worked in car factories for 30 years.

The last figures I had for one of my former (smallish) employers was £5m a year in re-work costs (and that's on-site labour costs, not dealer).
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 26,615 Posts
    • 10,687 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If it worries you that much, pay for a full inspection, not unknown for brand new cars to have quite substantial repairs.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter